Home Technical Talk

UDK Or CryEngine 3?

Although the CryEngine 3 has only recently become available I personally find it a lot more enjoyable to use than UDK; This might be because the sheer amount of art created with UDK might have made CryEngine 3 look more appealing to me simply because it's something different (although the art created from UDK is by no means un-appealing) I was just wondering what you guys prefer; UDK, Or CryEngine?

I personally prefer CryEngine 3 mainly because of how easy it is to set up outdoor lighting with TOD rather than having to manually place lights. I also think CryEngine 3 just simply looks a lot more realistic than UDK, Although that's not to say that a somewhat "stylized" renderer is a bad thing.

Replies

• TSM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TSM
    What is the comparison really for? Just showcasing, or shipping an actual title?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    my experience with the Cryengine in the past was fraught with bugs in the pipeline and bad documentation. Hopefully this has changed with Cryengine 3
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    CE3 is not avaiable per say, its the EDITOR thats available, you still need C2 to use it, and I really doubt we have the full arsenal at this point, that one is coming out in August.

Lights are easy to setup in UDK, just pop in a dominance direct or skylight and you're done. All you need to do is play with the settings now.

Also, head note, (and I don't understand why people keep on saying this, it's the 7th time for me in a week I hear this) UDK Rendering and lights have nothing to do with looks, you can very easily fit your material to how it looks by creating your own materials (AKA shaders) to have ANY look you desire on your model. Even lights and PostProcess can be changed willy nilly if desired.

That argument of "it looks like Unreal" would be valid back in the UE3 days, but now, UDK has changed so much, that it's upto the user at this point to put the input, not the engine.

So yeah, UDK may not have the quickest setup (although the June version would like to say hi), but more then makes up in the flexibility department, while CE (which isn't as flexible) made up for loads of ready made and easy to use tools which cut down the setup time.

Personally, I don't have CE3, so I can't attest to it, but if it's like CE2, then material editor and lights system (as well water system) needed some real workout to allow flexibility.

However, from what I heard at this point, both are the same. What it comes to is your personal pipeline and how you want to work (but even that is changing to become more streamlined) so honestly, both are pretty much the same, no visible difference once you get your hands real dirty with both of them.
  • larolaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    For me its the licencing terms that matter, if CE3 doesn't have an appealing commercial licence model than it won't be a contender.

UDK all the way, until there is something substantially better, in terms of licence, community, documentation, feature list and toolset.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    part of the reason why I use UDK at home is because it is such a polished engine in comparison to other engines. I don't want to have to deal with a bunch of technical hassles at home. That's what I do at work.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Both are really good and strong now. It wasn't the case for the Unreal Engine back in the UT3 days tho.

The Cry Engine I believe is the best option on the market for the serious guys starting a game. Those that are not afraid to dig into code.

The UDK is nice and easy, but as soon as you want to do something different, you're stuck with Unreal script and devs that say "no-no"..

Being able to work with both I have to say that I'm really leaning toward the Cry Engine now if I had to create my own game.

But since my opinion is of course 100% biased, feel free to discard.
  • Macgta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @TSM: Nah basically just what you prefer to use, for whatever reason :)

@Ace-Angel: You have a point with UDK being a lot different than simply UE3 now, But it is quite strange how if something is done in UDK it is so easy to notice.

One thing i have noticed about the CryEngine 3 editor is probably more related to the engine being optimized, But nevertheless this results in the editor being a lot faster than the one in Cryengine 2, Which was my main problem when messing around in that one.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    Im betting the CryEngine thing will be even more limited than UDK, plus I have heard so many stories of people licensing CryEngine and having to completely rewrite it because its such a mess.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know so far of 3 projects (indie and pro) which tanked because of CE2 or are on hiatus for well over several years.

One game was published, but they tried to cel-shade the game, and it didn't look too hot.
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    edit: nevermind =)
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I love the realtime viewports of Cryengine, but UDK has a more solid editor (imo) because its been there from the beginning and just improved with version to version. Also, there is LOADS of tutorials for UDK, making it easier to start with.
    I think Cryengine has (going to have) the best destruction functions, compared to UDK and is great for outdoor scenes.

Actually, can you use Cryengine for space scenes, like if you are at a spacestation? Does is always create a landscape/water?
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    You can actually remove water and terrain. But it'll be more work to get a space scene working with the specs of the lighting system.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I like about cryengine is it's SSAO. It behaves more like ambient occlusion and less like edge detection. It defines objects and darkens those "deep" areas nicely, and it's only applied to ambient term.

http://xboxoz360.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/cryengine-3-image-oxcgn-10.jpg

I wish UDK ssao behaved this nice. It would be possible to rely on it lot more and save memory/rendertimes by using tiny lightmaps for approximating overall lighting and color bleeding only.

Asides from that, UDK is great :)
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought UDK did have SSAO, but it needed user input by using the PostProcess Volume to get what you needed, isn't that the case?
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    I know so far of 3 projects (indie and pro) which tanked because of CE2 or are on hiatus for well over several years.

One game was published, but they tried to cel-shade the game, and it didn't look too hot.

Tanked a project of mine as well with CE2. Now with CE3 obviously I'm biased as I work at Crytek but the Engine got so much better and more powerful!

Cellshading is obviously an issue with the Shader not the Engine (at least in my opinion). Unreal's Shader network is defo great (and I love working with it).

Long story short: Get the C2SDK - it's what our team uses at work most of the time for the projects. Evaluate and see the fun.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    I thought UDK did have SSAO, but it needed user input by using the PostProcess Volume to get what you needed, isn't that the case?

Like this?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron wrote: »
    Like this?

Yeah, something like...
    e-freak wrote: »
    Tanked a project of mine as well with CE2. Now with CE3 obviously I'm biased as I work at Crytek but the Engine got so much better and more powerful!

Cellshading is obviously an issue with the Shader not the Engine (at least in my opinion). Unreal's Shader network is defo great (and I love working with it).

Long story short: Get the C2SDK - it's what our team uses at work most of the time for the projects. Evaluate and see the fun.

Yeah, the Material Editor is one thing I'm looking for in CE3, hope they revamped it, I suck at programming anything, so I have to make it up by being the graphics guy in both modeling, texturing, rigging and anything technical department.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes of course udk SSAO is tweakable via custom postprocess chain, but cryengine clearly does some extra calculations. It's more large-area, low frequency one, which defines major shapes nicely. (which is achievable in udk by turning off "angle based ssao" and increasing radius but then you get nasty haloing and artifacting around objects :) )

Also, if you look closely you'll see that AO fades away near areas hit by direct light, so that theres no "muddy" look.

http://www.crymod.com/uploads/mediapool/adam/ce3/ssao2_on.jpg
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well fancy that, nice.

Will it be tweakable like in UDK? I don't know since I don't have Crysis and am waiting for August, but if it is, it will be awesome sauce.
  • ziikutv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ziikutv polycounter lvl 9
    Discussing looks... Crytek, bunch of dicks, didnt include the shader source in the public engine so you are S.O.L when you want a "special looK" unless you buy the actual engine.

UDK you can make custom shaders, UDK license is cheap you can get for more done just with the indie license in UDk than in CE.

http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?p=827473

To me CE feels just like a tech demo, feels like they just wanted to get something out there since people were pirating their engine for a while.

Their documentation, sucks ass. Crytek's whole view on this is ridiculousness much like their game. Whole target market is people who love eye candy over everything.

Just my opinion guys.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    CryEngine 3 uses a deferred lighting setup - unless you render things forwards, you can't define a 'special look' by it's very nature, because information like lighting vectors is not available. Why more basic shaders that do not use custom lighting setups or post process is not available, I couldn't say.