Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

cartoon character

Hey guy's,

Here is a character I am working on for a series of short animations. I was wondering if you guys could critic my character and give some advice for edgeflow or topology. I feel I have gotten better at modeling thanks to this site but I'm still not sure if I am doing the joints correctly to be animated.

I'm also having trouble with figuring out a way to do his clothes. He will be wearing a business suit and I'm not sure if I should model each part of the suit (shirt, pants, tie, etc.) separately or if I should just model all of him as one object and make his suit as a texture? Also if I do model each piece separately, would I still have to model the parts of his body you don't see? For instance if I modeled his pants as a separate object, would I still have to model his leg underneath?

rolfturn2.png

Replies

• justaguy
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    depends on many things, like whats the usage of your character (game, animation, etc).

as an example: http://www.sintel.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/sintel_stage2_model.png

(taken from http://www.sintel.org/news/sintel-model-2nd-stage-with-blend/)

the sintel model's clothes had no body geo underneath. the only geo that was modelled for her body was the one that appeared to the spectator.

but you can model them, its more of a constrainance (due to engine's limits) / modeller's choice to do it.

you can get more in depth with a char artist, im not the best one to talk about it... my two cents tho :)
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cartoon character seems a tad bit generic right now. What exactly is the story for this person ?
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    justaguy wrote: »
    I'm also having trouble with figuring out a way to do his clothes. He will be wearing a business suit and I'm not sure if I should model each part of the suit (shirt, pants, tie, etc.) separately or if I should just model all of him as one object and make his suit as a texture? Also if I do model each piece separately, would I still have to model the parts of his body you don't see? For instance if I modeled his pants as a separate object, would I still have to model his leg underneath?

I don't really see much point to keeping his body under the clothes. Either delete the unseen faces or, better yet, model the clothes on to his body as a single mesh. There's no reason why it has to be a contiguous mesh, but it does tend to be easier to deal with for rigging/animation. It just depends on how detailed and separate you need the clothes to appear from the body.