Home Technical Talk

Normal map..."bleeding"?

Dismembered
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dismembered polycounter lvl 9
So my normal map appears to be bleeding from one face to another.

-The numbers represent different smoothing groups, the UVs are separated at the different smoothing groups.

-I used max to bake the normal map.

Anyone know why this happens and how to fix it?

Thanks

Normal_Bleed.jpg

Replies

• GeeDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeDave polycounter lvl 11
    Normal maps V smoothing groups. It's hard to tell what the actual issue is here without seeing your unwrap, normal map and desired end result. But remember that a normal map depicts the normals of a mesh, which basically makes smoothing groups redundant in most cases.

Are you baking the smoothing groups to be used as normals? Is there a high poly mesh at play here?

Also, separating UV's by SG isn't essential (probably not even recommended) when it comes to baking a normal map. Unique shells/islands tend to result in obvious normal-map seams around the edges. Not the problem you're encountering, for sure... but a thought to hold regardless.

More details please!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeDave wrote: »
    Also, separating UV's by SG isn't essential (probably not even recommended) when it comes to baking a normal map. Unique shells/islands tend to result in obvious normal-map seams around the edges.

There are no disadvantages to breaking up smoothing groups at uv islands, only a poorly set up bake would cause seams in this case. Your verts are already split at uv boarders, so splitting up the smoothing groups/using hard edges on uv borders makes no difference when it comes to performance.

Also, whats with the weird text color?
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess it is kinda hard to see what I am talking about without looking at the model itself. So I will try to explain it the best I can. The areas that I am pointing out seem to have the normal's from the adjacent surface overwriting their own.

I am baking this down from a high poly.
  • GeeDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeDave polycounter lvl 11
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    There are no disadvantages to breaking up smoothing groups at uv islands, only a poorly set up bake would cause seams in this case.

Or, poor SG placement... surely? You're right though, especially in this example. As for the text... is orange weird? I do it on every forum that offers me a dark background.

@Dismembered, if you're working with a high poly mesh... forget smoothing groups... well, have one smoothing group for the LoPo. The high mesh should depict the direction of the normals. If it doesn't... then it sounds like your projection cage could do with some loving.
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is another example, maybe this picture is a little clearer?

Bleeding2.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeDave wrote: »
    Or, poor SG placement... surely? You're right though, especially in this example. As for the text... is orange weird? I do it on every forum that offers me a dark background.

@Dismembered, if you're working with a high poly mesh... forget smoothing groups... well, have one smoothing group for the LoPo. The high mesh should depict the direction of the normals. If it doesn't... then it sounds like your projection cage could do with some loving.

Yeah, poorly set up smoothing groups/hard edges. ie: where you do not have a uv seam, will also cause seam artifacts.

RE: orange text, generally colored text is frowned upon here, its just annoying really.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is another example, maybe this picture is a little clearer?

Bleeding2.jpg

This is likely a case of:

A. Your low not matching up well enough to your high - http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1375489&postcount=126
    or
    B. Your cage projecting at such an angle that your map is getting traced up the side, cutting some supporting geometry here will help - http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81154
    or
    C. Both. =P

Something like this may fix it:
    skewthing.jpg

Side note, why does that tiny cylinder have so many sides?!?!
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am trying a fix of my own real quick then I will get to yours.

B. You mean cut it in on the LP for the bake then remove it after? (Little confused on what you meant)

Your side note, mainly because this bake is really getting to me and I want to get it right. I will fix it though. Should be easy enough.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, never remove geometry after a bake unless you really understand what you're doing. Editing your mesh = changing vertex normals = creating smoothing errors. Any time you change your mesh, you should rebake(unless the vertex normals stay exactly the same).

Using supporting geometry to fix normal projection issues is common, and something you should plan on, if you have XXX triangle budget, always allow 10-20% for corrective geometry.
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm the support Geo did get rid of a lot of it. But it is still bleeding, any other possibilities or should I keep messing with it?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Post more images of your problem areas?
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't save it when I added the support edges, that is why they aren't in this SS, but this is the normal map that it generated with the support edges.

More.jpg
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Baking with mental ray? tried scanline? Otherwise bake double res and reduce in PS.

Those artifacts look like a combination of an aliased normal map and slightly wonky cage/low poly..

good luck!