Home Technical Talk

Rendering Normal Maps in 3ds max

Hi,

so first of all hello everyone, first post here :)

I wanted to ask if anyone may have an idea what is the solution to the problem that I have:

I create and object in 3ds max and then in mudbox I would sculpt it and extract normals (3ds max compatible). In this example, a simple sphere, everything is just fine:

2nbt4ed.jpg

then when I go back to 3ds max and apply the same map to the base mesh I exported to MB mental ray would give me this:

ji0u84.jpg

What is even more confusing for me, if I invert green channel and do the same in Maya then object is rendered perfectly, seams absolutely invisible.

I will appreciate any ideas what may be the issue here.

Replies

• reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    Why are you trying to render a realtime mesh with mentalRay?
    You should try to view it in DX view or a game engine.

The flipped green channel is a mentalRay shader problem i think.
    At least in 3dsMax.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like an issue with your smoothing groups...the hard edge seems right along where it may create hard edges.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Could we see what the normal map looks like? That's what is going to help us out here, more than anything else!
  • Loginus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro:

who said normal mapping is used only in realtime? I may want to make cinematics or sth like that. And I get the same errors in quicksilver as well :/
    It's not inverted channel or anything, map has been created as 3ds max compatible and material is previewed in MB with 3ds max compatibility selected.

gskol:

I thought the same at first, so I made another quick normal map test and I ensured that everything is in smoothing group 1. Same thing :(

Prophecies:

Another try, same results. Normals work in mudbox, if I flip the G channel no problems in Maya either (no seams visible, everything is nicely and lit) which should be some kind of a hint, but I don't know what make of it :/

zvyn2v.jpg
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    Loginus wrote: »
    reiro:

who said normal mapping is used only in realtime? I may want to make cinematics or sth like that. And I get the same errors in quicksilver as well :/
    It's not inverted channel or anything, map has been created as 3ds max compatible and material is previewed in MB with 3ds max compatibility selected.

Well of course you are able to use normal maps in cinematics but its a pain most of the time since you get errors or lose a lot of high frequency detail. At least in 3dsMax, i dunno about Maya actually.

Yea as someone pointed earlier it looks like a smoothing or UV error.
    Can you post your UV map and wires? Maybe its a mistake in the Mesh or with the UVs/smoothing.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Try exporting your lowest subdivision level out of mudbox and apply your normalmap to that. It could be, that your original one has another shape due to mudbox´s smoothing.
  • Loginus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So let me explain how I approached it:
    1: I make my model in 3ds, create UV's then I select all the polygons and make sure they are in smoothing group 1.
    2:I export it as .obj using mudbox compatibility preset.
    3: I open the .obj in MB, sculpt, extract normal map compatible with 3ds.
    4: In 3ds I would import .obj, then create a new material using previously extracted normal map.

Am I missing anything important?

Mesh is a turbosmoothed box and I dont think that there is a problem with UVs. I understand that bad UVs can cause seams to become visible, but when I render this sphere normals across the entire surface are totally messed up.

And again, in Maya its all fine.

Can anyone post a link to any good and proven tutorial for using 3ds with mudbox? I suspect I'm missing something very basic and obvious.
  • reiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reiro polycounter lvl 10
    @Loginus
    That sounds strange.

However i would do a slightly different approach though.
    Try to decimate your HP model out of mudbox then import it to 3ds Max and then bake it in max or XNormal onto a UVed model.

That should work.
  • GeeDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeDave polycounter lvl 11
    Could just be a bad mesh, Max is a bit fickle like that when you start importing/exporting/doing anything. Try cleaning the normals by creating a box primitve, converting it to editable mesh (NOT POLY) and then attach your sphere to it. (then delete the box in element mode. I've written a script that deals with "bad meshes"... but as this is my first post, I won't pimp out my stuff just yet!