Home General Discussion

SWG going under

Spur
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Spur polycounter lvl 6
"Sony Online Entertainment today announced its plans to shut down Star Wars Galaxies before the end of the year. The long-running MMO first launched in 2003 and has undergone some big changes over the years. It received several expansion packs, but one update in particular, known as 'New Game Enhancements,' ditched the game's profession system and allowed anyone to play the role of a Jedi. It was widely criticized, though it apparently wasn't bad enough to drive all of its players away as the game has continued to operate for more than five-and-a-half years.
The upcoming shutdown, taking place on December 15, 2011, will put an end to both the MMO and Trading Card Game, which was an aspect of the game released as a part of an update in 2008. The official site describes it as a "very difficult decision, but SOE and LucasArts have mutually agreed that the end of 2011 is the appropriate time to end the game...."

You know its crazy but I'm really kinda saddened hearing this. Even though the wife and I haven't played the game in years, we have a lot of fond memories from our first MMO experience with SWG.

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    oh wow thats kinda sad to hear. but i guess with SWTOR coming out n all there's no point to compete. also considering that they lost most of their players when they decided to revamp the game (thats why i left), still you're right though, there are a lot of fond memories.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Also considering that a new star wars mmorpg is coming out, it might be part of the decision.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Friggin SOE...

I don't hold any more anger for that studio, just feel sorta sad for 'em.
  • Mir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mir polycounter lvl 6
    I still have a poster from the game on my wall lol but Damn i hated Sony Online Entertainment at that time for doing that update but yeah i don't think they could compete whit SWTOR anyway.
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    About time. Bring on SWTOR!

SOE killed SWG when they introduced the NGE.
  • Zakk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zakk polycounter lvl 9
    Tried it out again in the free 45 days and it was just sad. Like a broken, empty husk of something that was once a great game. Glad they've decided to pull the plug.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    What did the update to do nerf Galaxies?
  • Spur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spur polycounter lvl 6
    Zakk wrote: »
    Tried it out again in the free 45 days and it was just sad. Like a broken, empty husk of something that was once a great game. Glad they've decided to pull the plug.

No doubt. We tried going back a few times and it was just never the same. Oh what memories.

Epic world pvp at a player city named Valley of Death, Bloodfin server.

Two jedi running in and wiping out a whole group of 20 people. (Heat and Niani Nefertiri)

Looting and opening my first holo.

Buffing people at Cnet starport with my doc.

10 & 5 min starport and shuttle waits. Talk about effing up a base busting raid if someone missed a shuttle.

My house, our guild city, our base that we sometimes took shifts guarding while vulnerable.

Having to move said house to better protect the town and base.

Epic world pvp, did I mention that?

A time when jedi were rare as hell to see. I remember the first time my wife saw one at a starport. She made a screenie to show me when I got home from work.

Tons of people hanging out at the Cnet cantina shooting the sh#t.

Going Krayt hunting and having to take a ranger to find them.

Tons of people whooping tusken a$$ at Fort Tusken.

Trying to loot the elusive Night Sister bicep piece.

Opening my third holo and saying eff it bc i was enjoying my current toon soo much.

I'm definitely glad I have a ton of screenies from the good times and glad we've kept in touch with a few friends since then.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I still have Pex's fanfest badge from 2004...