Home Technical Talk

Blur Issue in UDK

Hey PC community. I've been putting together an environment and ran into a certain blur problem I can't seem to avoid.

Far - (Not that far of a distance and it intensely blurs)
UDK_Asset_Blur_Issues_Far.jpg

Near
UDK_Asset_Blur_Issues_Near.jpg

This doesn't happen with my other 3d assets even though it's imported the same way into UDK as my other stabled assets. It's this asset for some reason and it's very noticeable in my foreground environment. The texture page is 512x512. I thought to have found ways to fix this but when I saved the .upk file and restart UDK it eventually goes back to having this blur issue. I've tried to re-import the mesh and textures, hover my mouse over the generic browser icon so it won't blur in the view port and game, opening the texture icon (This only fixed it temporarily), and had a look at my LOD even though it wasn't the problem. Is there anyway to control the blur, or a fix.

Any help would be much obliged.

Replies

• Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Have you tried setting the LODBias to -1 in the texture properties? Great for keeping textures sharp for pimping!
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    I'm pretty sure it's a texture streaming thing. I think you can turn of texture streaming on individual textures
  • Perfect_Rolemodel
    dustinbrown/Peris: I can't find a disable option there but I did find one under the "mip gen setting" drop down. I changed it to no mipmap and that worked too.

Ark: I've tried setting it to -1 and it still blurs. However I did try setting the LODbias to 1 and set the texture group to UI instead of World and that seemed to work even when I restart UDK.

I'm kind of confused as to why this happens. I didn't have to turn off mipmaps for my other assets only this one. So changing some of these options will affect the performance? That would be bad if this were to be placed multiple times in a playable game. poly126.gif Why couldn't it be normal. hahaha.

Thanks for all your kind help on my troubles. thumbup.gif
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to make this clear, changing the LOD bias and changing the texture compression is great for portfolio peices. But just keep it mind if you are working on a game project you should learn the right way to do this, without thoose "cheats".

I havent had this error myself, beacuse when i import my textures im very anal about my import settings. So check out the compression settings and see if that one messes things up.
  • RyanT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Perfect_Rolemodel, this is a mipmap streaming bug within UDK as mentioned above. I've dealt with this a few months back and while I can't give you a solution (UDK isn't installed on my work machine) I can point you in the right direction.

On your texture files in the content browser go into the Texture Viewer. I'm almost positive checking/unchecking either bGlobalForceMipMap or SRGB fixed it for me. Those names could be wrong - it's from memory and I haven't had coffee yet :P

I would like to warn though this was probably 3-4 months so something may have changed in UDK that would make my post invalid.
  • Perfect_Rolemodel
    Visceral: Exactly why I don't want to do that now. :)

Here is a shot of my texture properties setting of that wooden sign along side to compare with my other few assets. When I import I checked on defer compression, compression no alpha, and for the normals I added tc normalmap to compression setting. Even without those settings it still blurs.

I'm starting to think this could be a UDK bug. If this can't be fixed I won't use the special settings that affects the performance. I want to treat it as a real game asset so that way I learn. I'll just work around it by opening the diffuse, normal, and spec every time I start up UDK.

Added* Whoa! Now that I think about it. That rope and pole is a multi sub object from 3ds max. In game the rope doesn't blur just the wooden areas. o.0

Top texture Setting
    Blur_Issue_Top_Compression_Setting.jpg

Bottom scrolled down texture Setting
    Blur_Issue_Bot_Compression_Setting.jpg
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Things of note: this looks and by your experiments is a mipmap issue. The rope appears to be drawing from a totally different texture map and its lod may be evaluating differently. As a suggestion take a flat version of this texture (like a tga or something) and down sample it to 256x256 using bilinear filtering. Reimport and see if it looks as blurry. The content of the texture can do much for the mip clarity

Try changing that last dropdown that says mipgen settings. See if there is something like nearest rather than linear.
  • Perfect_Rolemodel
    Vaillias: I tried that and it still won't go. Thanks for the suggestion though.