Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Andr

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
So. Another rehaul on my portfolio and I'm feeling this is one of the strongest layouts yet. My old one was to cluttered, to much text and messy. I ripped out some of my old work aswell that didn't "cut it" anymore. I should probably rip out the handpainted stuff aswell but I'm not sure.

http://andrewahlgren.com/

Still gotta sort out some new presentation shots on the loader asset and fix the images in the sub galleries (the secret world-page mainly is a wreck right now. :) ) but that's easy peasy. Should have that done tomorrow.

Oh an added bonus inside on what I'm working on now. More to come, need to step up my game so I don't get stepped on! :thumbup:

Replies

• shawnell3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good stuff man you have a wide variety of art pieces in different styles as well, something i'm currently trying to add to my portfolio. keep up the good work!
  • sPease
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sPease polycounter lvl 7
    It should read "Brawl Competition - Unreal Engine - Realtime DX11 environment that Laurens Corijn and I worked on."

You should probably also explain what the Brawl Competition was.
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    I like it! Very clean and simple with nice big ass images in your face. :)
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Nice and clear, looks nice dude :)

You going to work on that concept from sparths book? :P
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 14
    Look's really nice Andre, I was a big fan of your old layout though, I still prefer it, but layout wise It's still top quality, the art work does all the speaking naturally. I would consider darkening the area on the text where you explain what you did, It's a bit hard to read on some of the screenshots.

KEWLBEANZ!
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome art, nice clean site. Great stuff
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Great stuff Andre. I've been a huge fan of your work and it looks great in this layout.

I'm not sure what reasons you had for laying out your various sections in that order but I would perhaps re-order which environments/hi poly work you showcase first. At the moment you enter the page and are greeted with grey renders, which, granted, all look great, but it would be nice to have a full fledged colour environment piece there instead. I think your Unearthly piece is the strongest and has some of the most interesting colours and contrasts and would give a much better first impression of your stuff. I'd also think about moving the work in progress shots to the very bottom or on another page completely and consolidating some of the pieces (eg. maybe move the Brawl Loader to the Brawl page.) But then again, this is all just my opinion.

I actually like the hand painted stuff quite a bit. They aren't your strongest pieces but work well to showcase a completely different style.

As I said before, it's all great stuff, the train and the Unearthly environment are my favourite pieces and have been saved on my computer for quite some time.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Great stuff as usual Andre, say hi to the rocksteady guys for me
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys!

Bear: Yeah but this one has bigger images and less text! :D
    paul: Really? Awesome! Thanks. I rearranged the page wee bit. :D
    kaburan: Will do. Know people there? :)

Shiv: You talking about that environment thing? I dunno. Environments take so much time, so much to do. Maaaaaybe some day when I got time again. For now I just wanna focus on assets a bit. :)
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Looks groovy mate :)
    Nice job!
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing work as usual! Love it all
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah the enviroment :), i understand tho, they are massive undertakings :x
    Mech looks good :)
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    Nice layout and the content is top notch. Only thing is that I would like to see some more breakdowns similar to the Unearthly Challenge on the other stuff.

Overall super great site and content Andr
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey there, Andre! Love your stuff, man, though I personally think that the website underrepresents you a bit. I hope you don't mind a little friendly advice:

-It says "Experienced 3d Artist" under your name, but there's no way of knowing how experienced you are without going to the Resume page which is not all that convenient. I think it's more effective going all out on the front page so if you show that you worked on Brink and Arkham city etc. right on the front page you'll kinda state "quality professional artist here" right away

- I'm not really digging the Secret World page because of the low quality materials. I realize that you put a lot of work in those assets and would like to have them in you portfolio, but the way they are presented right now makes it look like you're just desperate to show you worked on stuff. Because now there's no way people could appreciate the artistic quality of the assets presented. Those 20 square pixels of a house on some screenshot do more bad than good. You have enough cool stuff there and the titles you worked on scream "competence" so I suggest you leave only the highest quality material on the Secret World page and wait until you get your hands on the game itself to take some proper screenshots.

- The brawl loader is all over the place which is confusing. If someone wants to check out how you went about this solid asset they'll have to go to three different pages 'cause one has the textured version, one the highpoly and one the asset in the final level.

- The handpainted stuff is ok but the overall colors seem to drag 'em down a bit(to greenish on my monitor). Handpainted stuff usually is pretty juicy and vibrant. I think if you just throw some adjustment layers on the final image here and there it'll be a one more side of artistic talents worth displaying.

Well, just my 2 cents. I hope I've been useful.
    Keep it coming, bro. Can't wait your Brink and Arkham city stuff!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Good stuff as always, Andre :thumbup: digging the new layout!

I agree with d1ver on the loader though; you could make a subpage dedicated to your Brawl entry and put it in there.

Also, I think you could present the textured version differently. I'm speaking about this shot here: http://andrewahlgren.com/images/work/personal/Loader_LP_01.jpg I would get rid of that plane underneath it because it distracts from the silhouette.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    @Perna, the wireframe mistakes you're referring to are not optimizing the cylinders, right? or is there anything else you are referring to?
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    its freaking awesome layout :D
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers again guys.

Psychoaz: Yeah I think i should try and throw a few up.
    d1ver: Cheers for the big post :D
    1) Problem is i don't have much to show from either. Arkham isn't out and Brink I wasn't there for a huge amount of time. Only got a few things done.

2) Word. I've axed alot of stuff in the TSW-page and moved it down if you check again.
    3) I will gather the loader-suckah up and do a better presentation of it. Read below :D

Perna: Cheers for the words man. I am fixing up this mesh as we speak. The normals themselves I feel are fine but might be wrong. I just fucked up bad on the presentation and the final polish it seems. I'll put a little work on it and get it up there and get a new image up as soon as possible. Got the GF over so might be a few days slow hehe.

I also shuffled some content around. Anyway! Thanks again guys for helping me out. It's very much appreciated! :D
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I think this is a great example of a good portfolio. You have a clean layout, large readable thumbnails, and it's super easy to navigate.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Great site and a wide range of high quality work. I actually used your site previously as an example of how a game art site should look and the variety of work shown when I was talking to Art Inst grads about portfolio sites. Looks even better now. Great work!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    wtf is this shit andr