Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Arcade Machine

So after the PC Brawl, I thought "Why not make an arcade machine?"
And so I did! This should be allot better than my dumpster and quite possibly more challenging.

I started out with a Low-Poly base then continued to make the following High-Poly.
controlshp.jpg
arcadehp.jpg

Now the reason I am not showing you my In-game model is because I am having a bit of trouble unrwapping it and generating normal maps.. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to sort it out.

Replies

• RockeTTime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nekomata wrote: »
    So after the PC Brawl, I thought "Why not make an arcade machine?"
    And so I did! This should be allot better than my dumpster and quite possibly more challenging.

I started out with a Low-Poly base then continued to make the following High-Poly.
    controlshp.jpg
    arcadehp.jpg

Now the reason I am not showing you my In-game model is because I am having a bit of trouble unrwapping it and generating normal maps.. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to sort it out.

just use xnormal for your normal maps, its very easy to use and there's a basic tutorial for free on eat3d site, unwrapping shouldn't be hard either just look on youtube for some tutorials this looks pretty simple to unwrap, also i see some edges on the the side you could remove but the model is so lowpoly that i don't think you really need to, great job so far man, keep posting
  • Nekomata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much :)

Although, I know how to unwrap and I do use Xnormal. It is just that I am still learning so I encounter a few problems, the reason I have not posted it here is because I want to try my best to fix it myself.. If I fail tomorrow I will come crying for help :P

Also, this is not the low-poly.. This is the high poly. The low-poly is less than 1000 triangles.
  • Nekomata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right.. so I fixed the problems I was having and here is my result:

arcademachineshowoff01.png

Things I did:
    >Cleaned up High-poly Mesh
    >Refined Low-poly mesh
    >Added Low-poly geometry to support normal map
    >Swore at UVLayout for screwing up my smooth groups.

Damn am I scared of the texturing that is to come >.< I SUUUUCK at it.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Are you basing this on reference of any specific arcade cabinet? A bunch of components don't seem accurate and you're completely missing a coin slot.

Take a closer look at each component to try and understand how they work and then model them. The buttons for example, you're missing some of the main components. Buttons consists of the plunging button part and the body of the button with the switch in it, you just have the plungers modeled. As well, the actual stick has no hole for it to move around in, the shaft plugs right into the table. There should be a hole or a dust washer to imply that there's a hole underneath.

Here's some images of the most common arcade buttons to show what I mean.
    http://pineconeattack.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/100_1719.jpg
    http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/attributes_brands/buttons_x.jpg
    http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/10871971/2/istockphoto_10871971-video-arcade-buttons.jpg
    http://www.lizardlick.com/assets/images/Sanwa/Pushbuttons/obsf24/sanwa_obsf24_b.jpg

The rest is coming along pretty well, keep at it.
  • Nekomata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Frump.. Thanks for the input :)
    The reason there is no coin-slot is because this would probably be a personal arcade machine. The reference I was using had none. As for the buttons I Used normals for the body of the buttons which are more apparent in the diffuse.

Unfortunately I totally suck, I repeat, SUCK at texturing.. Anyway here is what I came up with.. On a side note, any texturing tips or tutorials you might have for me please?

5852162435_3198b8e973_b.jpg