Home General Discussion

How you got into the games industry

Seraph
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Seraph polycounter lvl 8
Chatted with some friends today at Red Storm (North Carolina) about how they got into the industry. It led to some fun discussions, so, I thought why not make a thread about it? Simple poll, let's see if I can figure this out:

Replies

• skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some school and taught myself and applied.
  • Seraph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seraph polycounter lvl 8
    Ok I think that worked, just a thought on this: I'm sure there's more than one way, but I'm quite curious. I got in via schooling, going to a 4 year university and taking AnimationMentor. But Long before that I created mods, hung out here way too much and was apart of that Quake/Unreal generation (what I need a 3D Card?!?) So in some ways, you could argue self taught too.

Anyways, lets try to limit it down to the things you did to get your first job, which I'll say was schooling for me. As a side note, my nephews are interested in the biz so I'm trying to gauge what school does offer people. Honestly I learned little that a 4-year university could offer me directly. Although indirectly (inspiration, broader knowledge, experience) I think I've been able to excel. That being said, they're aiming for Full Sail. I'm curious what Full Sail, Digipen and other people have to say about getting in.

Have fun with this!
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't say I'm in the industry, but I have taught myself and have gotten call backs and emails from various companies' interested in my work.

I was recently contacted by a hiring agency that asked if I was interested in some game jobs, so they submitted me for three jobs available for that one company.

I know I'll eventually get something, it'll just take time.

Hope my post helped, oh and I've even gotten call backs from positions 'requiring' degrees and shipped titles when I had no degree or shipped titles.

I have done freelance for a fairly big company though.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    learned some 3d in highschool and pretty much taught myself the rest and really started to improve once I was in the industry doing 3d every day.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    how I got my job? I sent out my folio and applied! ...guess the name of the thread is a bit misleading ;)

but we did have a thread like this some time ago, no?
    But if you're asking about my background: schooling + self taught + some luck.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    I worked on mods, levels, 3D, etc.. always as a hobby and passion but never considered it a viable career path. Until someone offered me a job!
  • heavyness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went to Art Institute of Pittsburgh back in 1996 for computer animation/multimedia. After that, just continued to work and self teach myself and applying everywhere. After moving back to Cleveland, then Baltimore, back to Cleveland, we moved to Seattle where I finally got into the game industry.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I slept my way in.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Started at age 15, self taught till age 22, got first gig at 18, online MMO which fell through, now in schooling and soon to be graduated at 23/24.

Fun times...
  • chadabees
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    I slept my way in.

I knew it!
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sauron polycounter lvl 10
    killed prev. artist :D
    no, srsly, there are no such schools in my country, is there a chance to get into without 'em?
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    went to uni for illustration and graphic design, then afterwards taught myself 3d and applied :)
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    went to a community college and self-taught, ended up getting my first game art job through here. But after working/talking with others, I've regretted trying to avoid art school though.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    combination of everything. School just helped me time frame the whole thing, modding gave the background and then it was working up (although "horizontal" (from outsourcer's intern to artist on site) not "vertical" (QA to CEO)).

There's a whole lot of Magic attached to it as well, getting the right connections at the right time helps a lot :)