Home General Discussion

Gaming/music headsets?

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
I'm trying to find a decent gaming headset with a mic and decent audio that isn't going to break after 2 months of normal use, oh yeah, and comfortable! I know some of you guys use them, what do you recommend?

Replies

• nwallen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as decent sound for a decent price and lasting a while I've been using a Sennheiser pc151 on trips for about 5 years now and it still has great sound, hasn't broken and has a good mic. They also feel very solid which I like as a plus because a lot of other brands' headsets feel kind of cheap and the plastic they use cracks easily.

They run around $50 but if you can find a deal you can get them for around $30. Note: They are sometimes hard to find.

The pc161's are much easier to find but run much more expensive. The benefit of them is that they have an open driver and so their sound is much better - but at the drawback of everyone around you hearing what you're hearing.

In general I'd recommend staying away from Logitech or the more 'common' brands. You can get some very good sounding ones, but in my experience they've been pretty hit or miss as far as not breaking/lasting a while. Their more expensive models work nicely though.

You also may find it worthwhile to invest in a USB -> 3.5mm converter (they can run as cheap as $10 or so and as expensive as $150+) to save your 3.5mm sockets' lifespan.

In general USB headsets will cost $80+ and I haven't found their sound quality to really match up to the cost increase.

I guess it really depends on your price range.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    I don't really see any point in even trying to get a USB to 3.5 adapter (doubt they exist, but not going to search). The whole thing about USB headsets is that the soundcard is built in, and disable the currently running PC sound device the moment you plug your USB headset in.

I personally use the creative HS-1000, which is a USB headset, and while it doesn't offer me all of the nice xi-fi stuff, it's quality is really good, has a detachable mic and is really comfortable. But it comes down to preference RE comfort, as I like snug fitting headsets, and this headset fits my head very snuggly. Also RE quality, I've had them for a year and a half now, and have had no issues, except for making my games sound like a mickey mouse darth vader after 3 hours (but updating the headsets firmware fixed this).

Also I've heard pretty good things about Sennheiser headsets though I can't say much more than I've heard they are good, as i have no experience with them.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Dont use a headset just get some decent headphones and a cheap mic. I've got a speedlink mic and it works great.

I have some Goldring headphones, but I dont think you have them in the US, Sennhieser are always good.
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I,m using Superlux
    http://www.headfonia.com/superlux-hd668b/
    It's 30$ , sounds great for music and gaming, but not comfortable at all :D
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have the Sennheiser PC350. No idea how much it is properly, I got it off my friend for £20 after he used it for two months and ended up buying something really expensive. :p
    Great headphones so far, zero complaints.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I've been using the Steelseries 7H for a while now and I'd definitely recommend them. My audio only headphones broke and I needed something to replace them so I got these (mostly for the mic) and I haven't even sent the broken pair in for warranty. These replaced them.

They sound great, I was surprised how well they stood up to some of the better headphones I've listened to.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    $140 for a headset I wouldn't go over $40. That is very expensive for 1 pair of headsets,man.

$140 is very median for headsets, tbh.

Two things that every developer should spend money on, for the quality: a great pair of headsets, and a great place to plant your ass.
  • Racer445
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    Steel Series line of headphones are excellent. The folks at PCGamer Magazine swear by them, picked up a pair for myself and I'm inclined to agree.

One of the best, not publicized features is that these things never really die, unlike every other headset I've owned. No right speaker going out, then the left following a few months after. These guys last long.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    I'm using these:
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-GameCom-Closed-Ear-Gaming-Headset/dp/B001E45XT4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1307747476&sr=1-1[/ame]

I even paid the whole $60 for them and think they are worth it.
    comfortable, a good mic, and sexcellent bass :)
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Using the Steelseries Siberia. Got them for like 50$ when they were releasing the V2 of them :)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    If your gonna use a clip on, and consider yourself a music aficionado. AKG, Sensenhauser, and the US manufacturer.. Grado.

I have these Grado SR225
    product_117830.jpg

Not much to look at, but the sound. My god, the sound. They offer a $100 version thats very close. HOWEVER. You must like over the ear phones.

However for the BEST sound, you need a headphone amp and that's gonna get into the hundreds of dollars untop of a headset.
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oops forgot to say I have the AKG K240 headset. No mic, but as you are going clip on, might be groovy.
    They also double up as ear warmers in the winter ;)
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just thought I'd bump in and say that the 'Deltaco HL-68' headset is awesome. There's a slight noise to it, not sure if it's just me or because of it using the usb port, but the sound is amazing :)
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    oXYnary wrote: »
    If your gonna use a clip on, and consider yourself a music aficionado. AKG, Sensenhauser, and the US manufacturer.. Grado.

I have these Grado SR225
    product_117830.jpg

Not much to look at, but the sound. My god, the sound. They offer a $100 version thats very close. HOWEVER. You must like over the ear phones.

However for the BEST sound, you need a headphone amp and that's gonna get into the hundreds of dollars untop of a headset.

I got a decent headphone amp for 15 quid.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/FiiO-E5-Headphone-Amplifier_Portable-Audio_review
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    I'd recommend buying the AD700's and using a $20 stand mic. Everything you need in excellent form for ~$80.
  • Zakk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zakk polycounter lvl 9
    Although the SteelSeries headsets are great both sound and feature wise (and made by a Danish company, yay!), both my 5H and 4H headsets broke in one way or another, after about 6-12 months.

Mostly the problems have been with the wire, causing the sound to be cut off in one or both sides of the headset. A little annoying with such expensive products.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    shrew81 wrote: »
    I'm using these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-GameCom-Closed-Ear-Gaming-Headset/dp/B001E45XT4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1307747476&sr=1-1

I even paid the whole $60 for them and think they are worth it.
    comfortable, a good mic, and sexcellent bass :)

I just got these and I couldn't be more happy with them, insanely cheap, sound good, solid build, nice controls, but still can hear when someone is talking to me, so perfect for home ^.^ and so soft :D
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ugh, you like that headset? Me and friend of mine think those bastards are INSANELY uncomfortable...The first week I enjoyed it, but after that I noticed I started developing headaches after use, and that they were crushing my ears and putting pressure on my head. I ended up wearing it in several different ways that they weren't intended so it didn't hurt and I could still hear...I finally gave up and bought

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.169415800

maybe I have a big head, and maybe they are more comfortable for you. Hope you have a better experience than I did!

*edit***
    Another thing I noticed with this headset is horrible audo frequency or not enough bass or something. Pretty sure the sound quality is what caused the headaches. I used it for about 8 months to a year, and within days of using the Razer one I literally felt better when on the computer :|...check the 1 star reviews on amazon about it; based on my experience it's pretty accurate.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    yeah I have a small head, and didn't have too much extra money to spend.