Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

low poly project

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
tucho polycounter lvl 17
Hi there, here you can see some pictures of a new project wich I'm working on, project is still in its very early stages, so I don't want to tell many details about it at the moment. If everything going to all right I'll keep posting updates here.

concept_characters_02.jpg

soldier_zbrush.jpg

soldier_low2.jpg

soldier_gun.jpg

Replies

• gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    The normal map doesnt seem to be achieving much, Looks like a 100% self lit character using defuse only with some heavy AO painted onto it. Don't get me wrong, it looks fantastic, just that i dont think the normal map is pulling its weight, might have more use once you get it into a scene i guess...
  • tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    thanks for your comment gilesruscoe

Model has just diffuse, project is a mobile game, so models must be ultra low poly with simple shaders, this model is about 1k tris with just a diffuse texture

EDIT: BTW, lighting is flat
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a difuse? What was the highpoly for? Just conceptual purposes or did you bake out an AO from it? Either way, difuse only makes alot more sense.
  • ali31
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1000 tris is a little over what I would consider "low" poly but the model looks great. What platform are you developing for?
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
  • PHArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what is the size of that texture? I can't imagine it to be smaller than 512x512 considering the sharpness of the shapes you were able to put in?
  • tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for your comments guys :)
    What was the highpoly for?

I baked all details from the high poly one, occlusion, vertex color, etc, in fact, I only paint on texture the shine in his eyes and some color variations, the rest is baked directly from the high poly mesh. I make it in this way because I love to sculpt on Zbrush and like the result of this technic. It also has some other advantages such as completely seamless textures.
    1000 tris is a little over what I would consider "low" poly but the model looks great. What platform are you developing for?

Well it is low poly for nowadays... I'm developing for iPhone, I think an Iphone will run without any problem some of this models on screen.
    what is the size of that texture? I can't imagine it to be smaller than 512x512 considering the sharpness of the shapes you were able to put in?

yep it is 512x512, but it is because I normally work textures at least at double size, ingame they would be 256x256 or even 128x128, characters will looks pretty small on screen.

Here you can see the first animation... I'm not a good animator but I hope to can make animations for this project, most of them will be just cycles so it musn't be too difficult.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql5KV1EC3VI[/ame]
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    I love the style, I also, think and this might have been mentioned but it's missing a specular map, you don't have any normals without specs. The specs help to make the normals pop!
  • PHArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Alberto Rdrgz. If your game supports speculars I'd definately throw in a bunch.

As for the animation, try and get some more momentum in the upperbody, maybe a little more sway in the right arm that's holding the weapon and kick that left arm a little farther from the body and curl it at the end. Maybe a little less headbudding. :)
  • Low
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low
    Some spec would be nice, but he said there was no normal...

For the animation; make that weapon bounces! And his mass center needs to get lower since the character moves lot of weight while running (He's kinda...fat).
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    OOH! I love it! Cool concept.

For your animation, maybe try and move the cloth around more realistically instead of keeping it moving along with the legs.
  • tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    thanks for your comments guys, I take note of your advices about animatin to improve it.

Here you can see another couple of animations, idle and die:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L71tmjSLrwM[/ame]
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha awesome character!
  • Cexar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar polycounter lvl 6
    Push the holds on the idle and make the explosion rise and fall a little more snappy!
  • letronrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agree with Cexar, the character doesnt fall correclty after the bomb...
  • tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for your comments and advices about animation, as I said I'm a horrible animator. I'll wait to have the models ingame and I'll try to fix a bit the animations depending on how they work ingame.

Here are a couple of pictures of the tank, I hope you like it, as always crits and comments are welcome :)

tank3.jpg

tank6.jpg
  • Tom3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tom3D polycounter lvl 8
    I feel that the colour scheme of the tank doesn't suit the character style well and could possibly be a bit more saturated. I'm loving the character though.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    baking high polys for AO maps must be so time consuming considering you could get a very similar effect by painting details yourself, especially as most of the details on the tank are just rivets and bolts
  • tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    hi gilesruscoe, thanks for your comment, maybe I spent more time on modelling but I save a lot of time on texturing as well. Moreover this technic has some other advantages, like simulate roudness of the cilindrical parts on the low poly model (much harder to get it with painting).

Moreover in this case I didn't make a concept art, so the high poly model is also a 3D concept.
  • ez_jamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it'd be quite a useful workflow for characters if combined with poly paint. Especially if you're someone who's more comfortable with zbrush.