Home General Discussion

100 developers missing from LA Noir credits?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-06-06-100-devs-protest-omission-from-l-a-noire-credits

We've talked about this in the past but we haven't talked about it recently. I'm tossed up, on one hand who cares, they can confirm employment a few different ways;
  • They can call "was so and so an employee? Yes. Thank you. /click" I guess that works until the company goes under or their records fall out of date.
  • Your portfolio "Can we see some of your work that made it into the game?"
  • Your pay stubs?
  • Art test? If your lying then its an easy way to see if you can do the job or not.

And on the other hand its kind of a sleazy thing to do to leave people out of the credits. It's either abhorrent management and record keeping or straight up spitefulness? Unfortunetly it happens all too often in our industry. What does it generate other than ill will and confusion? If they're worried about forcing players to sit through long strings of credits, then let them skip the credits...

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I got left out of the credits on every title I contributed and worked on at Midway. Oh well... Didn't hurt my feelings. I worked on them and still have the work.

Besides who's rushing out to brag they worked on Game Party 2 on the wii?
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-06-06-100-devs-protest-omission-from-l-a-noire-credits

We've talked about this in the past but we haven't talked about it recently. I'm tossed up, on one hand who cares, they can confirm employment a few different ways;
    • They can call "was so and so an employee? Yes. Thank you. /click" I guess that works until the company goes under or their records fall out of date.
    • Your pay stubs?
    • Art test? If your lying then its an easy way to see if you can do the job or not.

And on the other hand its kind of a sleazy thing to do to leave people out of the credits. It's either abhorrent management and record keeping or straight up spitefulness? Unfortunetly it happens all too often in our industry. What does it generate other than ill will and confusion? If they're worried about forcing players to sit through long strings of credits, then let them skip the credits...

Mark you should start your own company man. We need sincere, passionate, and intelligent developers like you with management roles.

Lets begin with giving the game industry an Intervention :poly124:
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    The biggest title I worked on left me out of the credits. I did a ton of pre-production and early production work then they had big layoffs. When the game finally came out I was nowhere to be seen. I feel strange putting it on my resume since my name isn't there and most of the work I did was blocking out environments and setting up the first pass of gameplay, stuff I wouldn't put in a portfolio. It all changed drastically by the time the game was released.

The funny thing is they included me on a game I didn't work on at all a couple years earlier. I was on a totally different team.

But seriously, if you worked on a game you should get credit.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    CrazyMatt wrote: »
    Mark you should start your own company man. We need sincere, passionate, and intelligent developers like you with management roles.

sincere, passionate and intelligent - when was the last time any person with these qualities got far? :)
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Is people lying about credits actually a problem in the games industry? I assume it would be pretty easy to get found out and blacklisted.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    This is pretty weird. On the one hand I'm not overly surprised by this revelation given Team Bondi's reputation when it comes to their treatment of employees and the like, but on the other, I'm pretty sure I saw mention on Tsumea and similar sites that they were making extra effort to hunt down everyone who'd worked on the game over the years, unless I'm getting confused with the similar calls for Duke Nukem Forever.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    meh.

I've been uncredited on a few games.

IGDA has a guideline for this:
    http://www.igda.org/sites/default/files/IGDA_Game_Crediting_Guide_Draft_8-5.pdf

Fucked up thing is, I was uncredited on a title with one of the draftees credited with upkeeping this standard on behalf of the IGDA.

It really has no bearing on anything. A big reason why crediting is taken very seriously in Hollywood, is because of the various unions.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well lets bring on the video game union!
  • Wrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrath polycounter lvl 18

• Your pay stubs?

I'll never understand this practice of excluding people from game credits. It happens all to often in the case when an employee is fired or laid off, even if their work ends up in the game.

From my perspective, credits are essentially free to create, just add their name to the list and forget about it. If a person did any work on the project, even if that work ends up getting axed, they should still be credited. It's just basic professional courtesy.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    I always thought thats what "Special thanks" section was for.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Wrath wrote: »
    I'll never understand this practice of excluding people from game credits. It happens all to often in the case when an employee is fired or laid off, even if their work ends up in the game.

From my perspective, credits are essentially free to create, just add their name to the list and forget about it. If a person did any work on the project, even if that work ends up getting axed, they should still be credited. It's just basic professional courtesy.

I guess I don't see what the big deal is. Usually in the course of interviewing or starting a job you will talk to someone who knows people at your old studio and it would be obvious if you were lying. If you are a freelancer you have portfolio work from the gig or enough work clearly from other games that it wouldn't make sense for to risk your reputation and lie about working on something you didn't.

I get that it can feel like a slap in face or something when you are not credited but who actually reads all the names anyway?
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    alec, the problem some people have is that it works the other way around, as well. it comes off as very petty. why is it such a big deal to include someone who clearly worked on the game?

it's difficult not to get a bit annoyed when you know some suit / management type has omitted you, regardless of your contributions. it also doesn't exactly inspire a good atmosphere inside the studio when such a minor detail is so contentious. i've seen a few people get quite upset over how they were categorized / not included at all because they saw it as a slap in the face.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    If you don't get credited, then its kind of like someone else has credit for work you contributed. I'm not talking portfolio stealing, just figuratively speaking.

Or it's like, these people did work that's worth listing, you didn't.

I doubt anyone taking issue with it cares about proving they worked on the project, it's the principle of the thing. Someone should force them to make the decision: put the name in the credits or remove the assets they made from the game.. then we'd see nice full lists..
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    rawkstar wrote: »
    I always thought thats what "Special thanks" section was for.

Yeah same here
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    bad organization skills. how hard can it be to

get a dump of the people's names you assigned tasks to in your task tracking software.
    Or check which artists contributed to your alienbrain/p4 depot
    Or check who had windows accounts/permissions to your project group
    Or check your organisation chart where you assign people to teams
    Or remember to check with your outsourcers before release
    Or just get a really long sheet of paper and jot down the names...

Makes you wonder if they're better at counting their sales/money/subscriptions/yadda yadda

Then again I wasn't very impressed with their organisation talent either when applying for a job there. Did the art test, got a response "we want to talk tou you again" and then never heard from them again. Good I had another job lined up I wanted more so I didn't care. It was just very weird though.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    CrazyMatt wrote: »

Those same qualities wouldn't make him last long.
  • confracto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    confracto polycounter lvl 11
    if you like credits, don't work in TV.

ever notice how long the credits are at the end of shows that even air them?
    yeah, like, 15-20 ppl.
    that's basically the guest star, and the guys at the top.
    nothing for the other 100-300 ppl working on the show.

I've spent 5 years in film, and worked on dozens of features, and several full seasons of shows, and I don't have any credits at all.
    some people I've worked with had been 15 years without one.
    others show up 1 day as a day call and get in.

it's rather mismanaged if you're not on set, or in the production office all the time.

so hollywood still screws up all the time too.
    the glaring omission of hundreds of people is a bit much tho.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    yeah, TV credits are fun. They're shown for a fraction of a second after the show, and many networks don't even show them at all and rather cue to some ads or whatever. TV credits cost money since networks rather show ads than waste cash on showing credits. On a game that's not really the case unless you're nitpicky about counting the pages in the manual or time spend programming a credit sequence.

It's more an issue of respect towards the people who worked on the game and suffered through crunch and the usual game production cycle who made your product shine (especially in LA Noire's case!)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    People that work in VFX usually have an IMBD profile that they can link employers to, which has every project they worked on. I'm not sure how that gets administrated, but it would be cool if game developers had something similar.

I found a couple of sites that sort of do this, but I don't know how comprehensive their credits lists are.

allgame.com - LA Noire

gamefaqs.com - LA Noire

'tis called MobyGames

http://www.mobygames.com/game/xbox360/la-noire/credits
    Seems like everyone uncredited is accounted for there.

developer example: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,16262/