Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

HK 416/417 Wip Thread.

Hey guys, I was currently working on putting new stuff in my portfolio and was looking for comments on this gun I am currently making.

http://www.pixagogo.com/2715654219

This is my first hipoly gun and I believe i'm getting pretty far in the hipoly stage but some proportions and details haven't been refined yet. I don't really know that much about guns but tried to follow the reference image as closely as possible.

VLnEY.png

Replies

• Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    No pics man :P
  • Jozzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jozzy polycounter lvl 8
    nothng wrong to follow the reference. :) That is part of practice. Are you going to go for low poly model, then do all other maps with texture on?
  • vf501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Follow your refs better.

1. Top back end of the Upper, you're missing the Charging Handle.
    2. Top rails are the wrong shape, same for the ones on the hand guard.
    rail_profile.gif
    3. Edges on the bottom of the magwell need to be more rounded. It also has a slight incline to it, it is not parallel to the ground.
    4. Back of the Upper and the Buttplate and enitre back of the Lower are completely the wrong shape. Check some perspective views of the HK416.
    5. Ring around the start of the stock is missing.
    6. Bottom details of the stock are slightly too wide.
    7. Stock is missing the Carry strap ring.
    8. Rings to the rear of the muzzle break are not raised, they go inward not out.
    9. Proportions on the front sight are off, looks to low and fat. Missing details on it too.
    10. Lower is missing the bolt catch, which sits above and to the right of the mag release area on the magwell.
    11. Missing Small details around the fire selector switch.
    12. Combat Sight is missing the eye piece covers and the adjustment dial is too small and in the wrong position, it is more vertical and not off the the right side.

Some of these can be added with floaters and don't need to be modeled in. Can you post a view of the other side?

I suggest you redo the Upper and Lower as the separate pieces they are in real life. Makes them easier to do and more accurate. Google up some references of disassembled HK416 and even AR-15/M4/M16s to see how they connect and their basic shapes. Nail those first then add in the supports for the sub-d operation.
  • BIGSOG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey vf501 where did you get that technical crosssection from O.O
  • vf501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIGSOG wrote: »
    hey vf501 where did you get that technical crosssection from O.O

Google: Picatinny Rail

On a side note there are two rail systems, Picatinny and Weaver. The HK416 from his refs looks like a Picatinny rail so I used that image.
  • Polyc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jSIPh.png

I've changed a few proportions and missing objects and the shapes of a few objects (the picatinny rails), the right side of the gun is still far from finished while the left is still missing quite a few things. I was wondering if someone remembered the racer 445 trick to make turbosmoothed text inside MAX?

Thanks for the info vf501!

I really don't know anything about guns. If you or someone else had some time, could you do a very quick paintover of the stuff I have to look at to change? I'll make the lower and upper receiver part seperate, it's a good idea.

The image might have some rough shading on a few parts but it's basically because of the floaters that will be tweaked before baking time.
  • Tom3dJay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I can recognize Hk416 here, but it isn't very accurate model, more like hk416 look-alike with couple weird proportions.

For the text go shapes> splines > text and add bevel modifier. I'm sure you can then figure it out.
  • Polyc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just can't really place my finger on what isn't working in the proportions, I know some parts are missing and can be added but for the basic shape i'm kind of in a jam.

edit :

I thinned out the general gun, I think it's turning out better. There aren't that much 3/4 views of the gun in my references so it makes the job harder. I think i'm not too far away from starting the low poly with some of my modifications.

The buttstock will probably stay a bit the same, In my opinion it would only highten the polycount and create some shading issues at certain areas. Also, it would take time out of the job that could be better placed on other parts that would be much more visible in first person view.

(i'll update with new renders soonish)

Please shoot me some new opinions or observations though! (some parts on the gun are still missing and will be added such as the ring at the base of the buttstock and the lettering and small details)
  • Polyc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kOByY.png

Changed proportions and added some doodads. I still have to merge the right and left side of the gun at the reciever.
  • Polyc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Addendum : Concerning the Gasblock and the barrel of the gun, Should I try and cap it? or make the holes dark in the texturing phase or use an alpha or what? I don't know if I should model the holes or not as the underlying geo will probably eat a lot of texture space for pretty small gains detail wise.

EZ0IE.png
  • vf501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those holes should only be modeled in if you are going to model them into your Low-Poly. If not, then don't worry about it. Same idea for the barrel, only if you're going to model it like that.

The back area around the charging handle is the part that is off still.

Airsoft version, but it is accurate to the real thing. Notice how the Charging Handle ends nearly on top of the lower and doesn't sit above the stock at all.
    Airsoft_Custom_Gun_VFC_HK416_CQB_AEG_Pyramyd3.jpg

Notice how in this picture the Rail section and the Slot for the charging handle terminate at the end of the upper, and the rear most parts of the main body are entirely the lower. With the charging handle again ending before going over the stock. Look at refs for a AR-15/M4 Lower, perspective views of the back of them. The general shape of AR-15 lowers is the same as HK416 lowers.
    20100203175756%21HK416.jpg
  • Polyc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are you talking about when you refer to the upper and the lower? I can't seem to find the part that isn't working even though it must be right in my face :P
  • vf501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AR-15- Similar to HK416

AR-15. Uses a Direct Impingement Gas System
    HK416. Similar design to a AR-15, but uses a Gas Piston System

Majority of the parts have similar forms with small differences here and there. Internals are another matter.

Google is great for finding references.

Upper
    full-t12a%5B1%5D.jpg

Lower
    ADS%20COMPLETESTRIPPED%20LOWERII.jpg

I've been working on a M4 Carbine off and on since I do 3D has a hobby. Been staring at various references till my eyes bleed to get familiar with its shape and overall form. Reworked the Upper and Lower several times for accuracy and still adjusting parts of it.
  • Tom3dJay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This might help you a bit, here's archive with all my Hk416 references, a lot of good photos there: http://www.mediafire.com/?wmm0b99j587zfll

As far as your model goes, your vertical grip needs to be shorter and thicker and your magazine is all wrong at this point.
    Iron sights could use a bit more attention too, there are some nice close up shots in that archive so take a look.
  • Polyc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lachtan wrote: »
    This might help you a bit, here's archive with all my Hk416 references, a lot of good photos there: http://www.mediafire.com/?wmm0b99j587zfll

As far as your model goes, your vertical grip needs to be shorter and thicker and your magazine is all wrong at this point.
    Iron sights could use a bit more attention too, there are some nice close up shots in that archive so take a look.

Thanks guy's! I'll check it out today!
  • Polyc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Multiple lowpoly views i've made of the gun, is there anything i'm oding wrong here?

the current tiangle count is at 8200 tris. Is it considered too much for an FPS?

AlnGN.pngLzQU8.pngU5g7x.pngYQ2wf.pngb1QGG.png
  • Polyc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm on the baking process towards the Lowpoly right now, unfortunately i'm having some shading problems at certain areas, it's as if the green channel on those objects was flipped even though the object doesn't have any mirroring going on and no instances that might fight for the same space on the normal map. I really don't get what's going on right now.

Some other areas are screwy but I'll get to them. I just didn't have time to work on them yet.

GA2OK.png

I'm just really looking forward to texturing right now. I generally burn myself out on the lowpoly and start another hipoly instead.
  • Polyc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike5424 wrote: »
    Definitely need to flip the normals on it.

Do you mean backface the normals? It isn't the problem, I already checked.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the magazine doesn't have that little plate you have on it there on the end

airsoft refs I assume?
  • Polyc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n88tr wrote: »
    the magazine doesn't have that little plate you have on it there on the end

airsoft refs I assume?

Some of them are :P

The bottom plate of the magazine is in the file, I just didn't add it to the object yet.
  • Polyc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polyc wrote: »
    Some of them are :P

The bottom plate of the magazine is in the file, I just didn't add it to the object yet.

also, why is my normal map coming out like this?

fp8Db.png

Edit : quote is not edit...
  • Polyc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I refreshed a new scene and it helped out a bit, its a quick normal map without the exploded model but it's turning out better already.

just a problem though, when I import the object, it's an editable mesh and looks like this :

pqK2o.png

When I change it to an editable poly :

hlzZ4.png

What gives?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Those look like normals issues, have you checked?
  • Polyc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    Those look like normals issues, have you checked?

Nope, flipping or unifying the normals don't change the results.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Oh God, what happened here...

I'll start with the most obvious thing since I have to hit the sack.

The ribs on the magazine are stamped *inwards*, not protruding.

Please, please please go back to your photo reference and look over it harder. There are a lot of easily correctable mistakes on the upper and lower receiver, the magazine well, the railed handguard, the gasblock, the magazine itself, the buttstock... And more importantly, you need to decide for sure which weapon you're modeling. The 416 is a 5.56x45mm rifle that can take STANAG 5.56mm magazines. The 417 is a 7.62x51mm weapon and is, for all intents and purposes, a completely different rifle with different dimensions. Sort out which one is which in your references, make sure you're not mixing together details, and make another refinement pass.