Home Technical Talk

Zbrush exporting insufficent memory...

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hi I wanted to export the sculpted model I did in zbrush but when I do it crashes all time after popping up a window that says some stuff about unsufficent memory ... how can I handle that?

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    More RAM? Try exporting only what you need to. Typically, you only need the lowest subdivision for making any changes (UVs, etc), or a medium resolution if you're retopologizing (just enough to get the overall form, you wont need pores/etc). If you want to export the highest subdivision level for baking maps in another program like xnormal, try using Decimation Master to crunch it down into a more manageable size.

You could also try disabling any polygroups or polypainting, to see if that results in less work.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I downloaded the beta version of topogun to try , its my first time so I dunno actually what to do , I tought I had to export the whole model to imort then into topogun ... but if I decimate it I won't loose details and so on?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I tought I had to export the whole model to imort then into topogun ... but if I decimate it I won't loose details and so on?

When it comes to retopologizing, you really only need enough polygons on the target to create the shape that you want the new mesh to conform to. There would be no need to export the highest subdivision with a few million polygons when more than half of those wouldn't even be changing the silhouette.

As for decimation, it creates a new mesh that doesn't care about the topology, only the surface. As a result it's pretty good at maintaining all the surface details. That way instead of baking from a mesh that has 3 million polygons, you might only have to load up one that has 250-400k and the result would be the same. Polypainting may be affected, but that can always be transfered from the original sculpt.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are you exporting it for?
    If you need to edit the mesh then export it in pieces but otherwise use Decimation master.

Decimation master won't lose detail unless you try to go to low with the poly count. Overall though DM is a kick ass plugin. The only draw back to using it is that you will be unable to edit the mesh directing after decimating because the mesh will be highly optimized to retain the details. If you just need to export it to bake, or to place in a scene, decimation master is awesome.
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    What Cryrid said.

I've got a model that nearing 5 million polygons in Mudbox, I exported a 120K version for retopology. Its all about what need to get the job done, You dont need a 5 million model for retopo.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    But if he wants to use something else for baking maps then zbrush he should at least be able to export one of his highest subdivivionlevels which contains all details he wants :-/
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok what I need to do is , make a low poly model out of my supermillionaire model , and uvmap it , then get the normals and other maps from the high poly to apply on the lowpoly and put it into a game :) ...
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    SpeCter wrote: »
    But if he wants to use something else for baking maps then zbrush he should at least be able to export one of his highest subdivivionlevels which contains all details he wants :-/

Thats where Decimation Master comes into play.
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    Depending on what the sculpt actually is, you could try cutting the sculpt up in smaller pieces and bake 1 by 1.. Mudbox doesnt allow this, maybe zbrush does? Dunno.

Next time it might be a good idea to plan things in advance.
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jarrede polycounter lvl 7
    cryrid wrote: »
    Thats where Decimation Master comes into play.

yeah it works surprisingly well. You can even mask areas of detail you want to keep. :)
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Go to Export (it should be on your right, the last button when your scroll down).

Open it.

Disable the following:
    -Texture
    -Flip
    -Group

Enable:
    -Triangle
    -Merge (not sure about this one, just try it).

Congratulations, your 8M mesh which weighs in at 1GB on average is now around 4-6 hundred MB, plus, with Tri's, you can bake your maps faster in Xnormal.

Or you can screw the whole thing and just use Decimation Master...