Home Technical Talk

Best way to

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
Resize a mesh to specific height and feet ratio?

My current mesh is at 0'1" and needs to be 6'0", I have set my scene up but I need to know how to resize the entire mesh without effecting the uv's, I just need to match up the meshes to the default base starting meshes size/height/feet/width.

I wish their was something to just be like click mesh reference copy size, click done.

What is the best way to go about this?

And it seems that either Zbrush adjusted the height and width or roadkill/topogun did damn It all.

Assistance needed. :(

3dsmax, axis at 0.0.0.

Replies

• Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I don't follow, what are you worried about with the UVs changing?

I'm not sure what software you're using, but I don't see why you don't orient the origin of the model on the ground plane (assuming this is sitting on the ground plane), then scale it 7200%, then collapse your stack and reset x-forms/erase the history/do whatever you need to do to 'reset' the model in your software of choice?
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    $!nz wrote: »
    I wish their was something to just be like click mesh reference copy size, click done.

What is the best way to go about this?
    Align tool? I dunno cause there isnt much to go off here...
    So you had a model that was 6 ft tall and after you shopped it around through zbrush and topogun it was too small once you got back into max?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    If you press A or CTRL A in Roadkill it will shrink it and collapse it.

If you do a certain symmetry option in Topopgun, it will also shrink, but not by much.

And ZBursh...well, I suggest import a Cube FROM Max which is 1x1 in scale, and use that as reference by appending ALL of your OTHER tools to it to keep the size correctly. Also, in ZB 4, always Save file, and not Tool, not because it's better, but because it has less chances of screwing your size reads.
    Also, don't forget to check ZBrush import in 3ds Max's options.

Yeah, yeah, I know, life sucks.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    This should allow you to set the size of the mesh exactly. I wrote it some time ago when someone else was asking for a similar tool.
    about_rt_dim.png
    Download

So far as the cause of your problem goes check your OBJ import/export scale settings. there is probably something other than 1.0 in one of them
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Place the local pivot at the lowest center point of the mesh which it sounds like you might of done?

Create measuring stick that is the right size, and scale up the character or use the type in coordinate system to control it a bit more precisely? Reset the scale (hierarchy tab, reset, scale) and you're done?

Am I missing something?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    And it seems that either Zbrush adjusted the height and width or roadkill/topogun did damn It all.
    To my knowledge zbrush only changes the scale of the mesh if you scale it with transpose, use the size deformation, or change the import/export values. Otherwise it spits out the same obj that went into it. I did have Roadkill shrink my latest character though. I'm in another program, but to fix it I just used a script that returns the size values of the bounding box, and then scaled the RoadkillOBJ accordingly.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    I don't use zbrush as much anymore, but to my knowledge zbrush also has historically done this when you hide part of your mesh and save with multiple subtools.

There's usually a way to counterscale it in the Export settings from zbrush. - other subtools are rescaled based on the size of the base subtool... or hte other way around, I dunno. I remember neox and others posting about this on zbc. But scripts or align can usually get you a close approximation too
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    $!nz wrote: »
    I need to know how to resize the entire mesh without effecting the uv's,

try the "R" key, its a helpful tool that scales the object, the best part about this tool, is that it doesn't change your UVs at all. most all 3d packages have this tool, i use it all the time.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    This should allow you to set the size of the mesh exactly. I wrote it some time ago when someone else was asking for a similar tool.
    about_rt_dim.png
    Download

So far as the cause of your problem goes check your OBJ import/export scale settings. there is probably something other than 1.0 in one of them

Brilliant & Awesome man, thank you so much!

Everyone else yes I realize I can just collapse and xform scale It back but to get it exact would be almost impossible for me, I needed It line for line...

I did look at the zbrush forum post, I will have to set that all up when I can get around to It, just wish no rescaling would happen but I guess thats the price you pay for multiple importing/exporting from multiple apps.

Thanks again everyone the solution was posted.
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    I don't follow, what are you worried about with the UVs changing?

I'm not sure what software you're using, but I don't see why you don't orient the origin of the model on the ground plane (assuming this is sitting on the ground plane), then scale it 7200%, then collapse your stack and reset x-forms/erase the history/do whatever you need to do to 'reset' the model in your software of choice?

I have been meaning to ask, what are x-forms? I have been taught to reset them on my low ploy before I bake them, but don't know why.

Can someone please tell my what are x-forms and why they need to be reset.

Thanks
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I have been meaning to ask, what are x-forms? I have been taught to reset them on my low ploy before I bake them, but don't know why.

Can someone please tell my what are x-forms and why they need to be reset.

Thanks

"x-form" is the same as "transform". It's the change in scale/position/rotation relative to the world that a mesh has.

Resetting them makes the current position/rotation/scale of the mesh the base. So if you 50% scale something then reset the transform it goes back to 100% but the mesh is still at the 50% size. This is important as some game engines do not read post-transform scale and rotation. It also tends to fix a bunch of bugs that can occur from moving an object that already has a transform applied.
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @sprunghunt Ok that makes sense. So is it a bad or good idea to reset my x forms on both high and low ply models prior to baking? or after do I reset them before I unwrap?

thanks
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    r_fletch_r's script is pretty cool.

Personally in the past I have just used a 2x2 FFD cage for this type of thing. You can just select the verts from the top, bottom, or whatever and numerically align them to the grid or to a specific position on whatever axis.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @sprunghunt Ok that makes sense. So is it a bad or good idea to reset my x forms on both high and low ply models prior to baking? or after do I reset them before I unwrap?

thanks

You can reset the xforms anytime you like, and always a good idea to do before baking and stuff. Its not always required though, but is a good check to do just because it ensures that everything is equal across the board and it could save you some hassle later on down the road.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter

thanks

It's not really necessary to reset transforms on the high poly model. On the low poly model it's a good idea to do it before you export. But it doesn't hurt to do it more often.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnimeAngel wrote: »
    You can reset the xforms anytime you like, and always a good idea to do before baking and stuff. Its not always required though, but is a good check to do just because it ensures that everything is equal across the board and it could save you some hassle later on down the road.

As an animator and a modeler I have to throw out a word of caution about reset xform.

It can cause some problems and headaches for you and the next person down the line who has to take your model and make it move, especially if its something mechanical like a piston, a mech, gears, doors, elevators bla bla bla...

ResetXformPivotProblem.gif

So after resetting xform on something that is rotated, the local pivot is aligned to the world, you can now no longer use the local pivot to do things like this:
    3dsmax_Scale01.gif

Also animators use the local pivots to align bones precisely instead of having to eyeball it and guess, which in the case of something mechanical can be a nightmare if someone jacked up the local pivots, not impossible but you didn't win over any friends by flipping a switch ever 30 sec that you really didn't need to flip.

You can reset the scale and transform without ever having to jack up the local pivot. You go Hierarchy tab (to the left of the wheel, three boxes linked to one box) > Reset > Scale & Transform.
  • swytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swytch polycounter lvl 8
    That r_fletch_r script is probably the best way to resize, but the Transform Toolbox is similar, and already built into Max (at least since 2010?).

Here is a small sphere of random size that made match the 64 unit cube.

transform-toolbox.jpg
  • Alzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fletch ...me and those blue/red lenses ... not,but got to love them bots lol