Home General Discussion

BRAINSTORM: Ideas for personal projects

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
I thought I'd get a thread going on various personal projects I'm starting to build reference for in hopes of a.) igniting discussions on them to help the brainstorming period and b.) see what others are also working on in their personal time.

I should note that I am not sure which one I will do first. They all have their own ways of interesting me so its undetermined where I'll go next.

The 'Road Home'
  • Created as a short video. 4 minutes would be perfect.
  • The idea is based on the Woodbine Avenue drive from Toronto to Keswick Ontario, where I grew up.
  • The idea is just a dirt road driving through farm land. The goal is to produce a video of melancholy feelings. From here, though, I could go on to doing variation clips. Or "alternate endings" as it were. UFO crash landed, barn silo acting as a space ship dock, etc.
  • I drove up there at the beginning of May and a couple weeks ago I put my references up on Youtube for myself to easily reference later. It can be seen [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L84tv5_QJsI"]here[/ame].
  • I'm waiting for Crymod to be released to start on this one.

The 'Tsar Bomba'
  • Much like my Fat Man model, this would just be a fun highpoly exercise that I could knock out in a few days.
  • When I had finished the Fat Man I thought doing a series of 'famous' bombs through Earth's history would make for an interesting gallery.

Ben Throttle's bike
  • Ben Throttle was the main character of Lucas Arts' FulL Throttle.
  • I want to do a highpoly model of Ben Throttle's bike based on real-world mechanics and bike parts.
  • I know nothing about bikes, so this would require a lot research before hand - which I love.
  • I'd love to pair up with a character artist for this and have a real-world Ben Throttle created, to be posted on the bike. This would also be 'high poly' only, but I wouldn't mind baking it out to in-game resolutions.

'The Party Wagon' - aka the Ninja Turtles van.
  • I want to do a recreation of the TMNT's Van using a Chevy van as the base model. From there I'd add in all the additions that makes the Party Wagon the Party Wagon.

TTC Streetcar retrofitted for apocalypse survival.
  • Food, ammo, electricity and healthy bodies are limited in this world. Your colony has retrofitted a TTC streetcar to patrol the perimeter of colonies home base.
  • Gasoline is not scarce at all - in fact its not even considered to be tradable - so the street car has been switched from electrically powered to gasoline powered.
  • This street car has metal plating everywhere, 4 Ford F-150 engines powering it, 2 40mm mounted guns on the back end, etc.

So, thats what I'm building references for and creating ideas around in my head. Right now I'm leaning towards 'the Road home' as it'll be a more fulfilled environment, not a vehicle, and has avenues I can take later for more engaging, funny, or otherwise interesting ideas once the original take is done.

What are you building up?

Replies

• haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    I would love to see a Full Throttle bike :) That TTC streetcar project sounds cool. Reminds me of this one mission in Infamous, where they make an armored bus and basically you have to drive it to the hospital.

My Personal Projects

1. FBX - UDK tool for Maya. Using this to learn MEL.

Basically a batch export tool which can center to grid and export them out. Currently messing around with string manipulation so artists can name as they are exporting though running into some loop problems. Once I get everything done, gonna use this project to learn python and pymel.

2. Photoshop script that pior wanted that basically saves with a time stamp. Figured out the saving bit and trying to learn/mess around with python and photoshop.

3. Batch ASE export for UDK. Again for maya though this has been on the backburner for quite a while. Got a couple of reference scripts to look at.

Hopefully somewhere in this learn some rigging, unrealscript and keep working on my HLSL shader.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Ah awesome, technical projects. The PS Time Stamp one would be stupid handy.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha thanks adam. Need to balance these technical projects with some modeling. Found the mission I was referring to for the street car.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt42A7fYC10[/ame]
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey there, adam. I think the road home sounds best since it's a proper environment work, rather then just prop stuff.
    I personally wouldn't do another bomb, since it would hardly enrich your experience as an artist. Do a motorcycle while waiting for cryengine.) I've done one - it's a lot of fun modeling parts. I love some preproduction and research myself so, yeah, I would go for the bike.

haiddasalami, nice ideas there man.

I'm actually saving up reference for

1. A desert scene with some sort of a huge temple or colossal statue. Greatly inspired by the amazing Lawrence of Arabia(1962) movie. Sand could be a lot of fun to create a live dynamic environment.

2. Brightly lit street under heavy rain with all the cool rain effects, mist, drops "ricocheting" off the ground and all of this pierced with colorful lights.

But I'm not very active about right 'cause I'm waiting to see how my job search will turn out. Dying to find myself a proper studio to try to settle down at.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    You finish that mad scientist hideout yet?
  • RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    Not so much a fleshed out idea, but rather a style...

I've always wanted to do a claymation-styled environment. Could have some fun with shaders and FX...
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Full Throttle bike gets the thumbs up from me! I just love that game!

Here are my projects... (way too many to do all at the same time :( )

1) sciTe like text editor for OS X which lets me launch scrips, has a tabbed view, doesn't have too much bloat, is stable, is not an IDE, makes most use of my macbook air's widescreen display. Qt/C++

2) simple picture viewer for OS X, xnview like interface, no bloat, high quality scaling, no crashing. Writing this in Qt/C++.

3) The officer - a nazi villain which I started after seeing inglorious basterds. Face is done, most of the uniform too. Zbrush/3dsmax. I posted some wips long long long ago I think...

4) my tile based unity engine + map editor. So far it's just a tile engine (no dialogue, combat, etc) but I'd like to put together a small proof of concept game, similar to Ultima V, but in 3D and with a few tweaks.

5) spheremapper/cube mapper: convert sphere maps to cube maps and vice versa. Rotate cube maps and save the output as new cubemap. Also in C++. Python is just too slow for all the vector math I'm doing in here.

All the programming projects are basically learning projects. Although I got pretty annoyed that I cannot find a stupid and simple text editor/picture viewer for my mac.
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    What a great thread! Awesome to hear what you guys all have in store!

+1 for the Full Throttle bike!

This is what's in my brain vault (not in order of importance)

1) FBX exporter for ZBrush. Obj sucks! If I can properly hack my way around it that is!
    2) A C++ rewrite of my ZTool autosaver that works together nicely with ZBrush's stupid plugin handling. And add support for ZProjects as well!
    3) A true to the concept sci-fi character from Ville Ericsson, my portfolio needs one of those!
    4) Finally wrap up MageMaze... :/
    5) Building a robust modeling toolset in Softimage, it lacks quite a few proper tools!
    6) Maybe pick up Python at some point, but I seriously hate indent sensitive languages! In that respect I'd be much more willing to try to learn Lua instead. Lua actually looks very charming (anyone got some first hand experience with it?), but Python is quite the standard these days so I guess there's no way I can avoid it anymore.
    7) Get started on one of my game ideas that will set me back a couple of years. :D
  • 3shold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3shold polycounter lvl 7
    1) "Inari". A high poly sculpt to learn how to use ZBrush. It's based on a random piece of concept art found on the internet months ago. I would also like to take her to low poly... retopo and all. I'm about 80% done with the model as it is. I'll be starting texturing it soon.

2) I'm also interested in doing a series of scupltures for practice based on the art of Jason Chan. He's my favorite concept artist. I think it would be good practice to be able to bring his (or any other) 2d work into 3d AND make it work.

Man... everyone has so much stuff in the works. I've gotta get on it.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd love to see the full throttle bike done with current day 3D capabilities.

Not that long ago, I was speaking (online) to the guy that made the original 3D model of it that's used in the game cinematics :P

As for myself, I'm currently working on my Final Year Project. Third person adventure set on an earth-like planet. I'd like to include some sort of photography/research aspect to it, but I'm undecided as to whether to include native fauna yet. Gathering reference for impressive vistas and rock formations (aiming for a heavy bent on climbing and navigating environments - a bit of a free-roaming Shadow of the Colossus but in tighter environments).
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    This thread is great!My thoughts:

--A set of 'modular' spaceships for a pirate faction.This set would include 4 or 5 types of fighter class spaceships in a variety of weakest to the strongest one.The key feature is to make most of pieces modular(obviously need some unique pieces).Think as weakes ship has one engine and strongest has 4 and all ships using same cockpit template but some minor additions etc. Something like in freelancer game as you might know but more advanced.

--Lonely island village.A village which settled on an narrow island.Other side of the island is a cliff so there is no settlement you can only see a wall of rock.And a road towards to the lighthouse placed on the highest point of the island.Actually I'm inspired by a drawing that I made when I'm 12.

--An alien flora.I feel like I'm super inpired to draw alien plants,I have a diverse interest to do this.Biggest limitation is need more zbrushing skill..

--A diner scene in retro-futuristic style.Mostly outside looks of the diner.

--This one It's imposibble to explain.Some environment inspired from childhood memories.(meh,maybe that one will never happen)

--Recreation of some gun in UT99 by covering its 'oldskool' style.Indeed...!

As everyone me too have tons of game idea that I want to create.Heh but thats a big task :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those are some great ideas but out of all of them I really like the "TTC Streetcar retrofitted for apocalypse survival." Mostly because I was thinking of doing something similar. I found a picture of an old broken down bus in Mexico, that had been converted into a roadside shop/restaurant and thought it would make an awesome portfolio piece.

I've always thought that picking something from Shorpy or opacity.us and recreate it would be a good personal project.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Full Throttle man, Full Throttle. One of the best games ever. Really saddens me that there aren't any more games like that.

Making that bike sounds awesome. I really doubt that it's a real bike though. It looks way stylized. If memory serves, that company was called Corley Motors, which is a clear reference to Harley. So it's probably just a Harley bike that's been elaborated on for visual-awesomeness sake.

As for me, I got a medical anatomy book with autopsies. So I'm doing a full sculpt of the skeleton+muscles. Every single bone, every single muscle. Even those that you can't see. It's a damn fine study. Learning a lot.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Those are some great ideas but out of all of them I really like the "TTC Streetcar retrofitted for apocalypse survival." Mostly because I was thinking of doing something similar. I found a picture of an old broken down bus in Mexico, that had been converted into a roadside shop/restaurant and thought it would make an awesome portfolio piece.

I've always thought that picking something from Shorpy or opacity.us and recreate it would be a good personal project.

If you wanna tackle something from Shorpy - another thing I'd "love to do" - tell me. I'm in.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    I'm working on a marauder as a school project and currently snailing me through the tedious process of unwrapping the entire thing.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I've started collecting references for Ben's bike. I like the idea of doing this while I wait for Crymod.

Any bike nuts out there able to recommend the type of bike I should look at to base Ben's off of?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Doing research now for Ben's bike from Full Throttle. Collected a lot of references but was wondering what the original bike was based off of.

Me: "Hey @TimOfLegend - What bike was Ben Throttle's bike based off of, if any?"

Tim: "@adambromell Peter Chan designed it from scratch, but I know we were inspired a lot by that Clown's bike in Akira."

So, there you have it.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool that you got Tim Schafer to answer that haha. Hoping you do a thread similar to your evil genius thread. Loved that thread. Any who released that photoshop time stamp script. An idea that came to me was how I hate that Maya does not auto update textures and wondering when I saw in PS, use Python to get into maya to update the textures.