Home Technical Talk

Help Requested: 3ds Max Camera Mysteriously Locked Down

Big Rocket
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Big Rocket polycounter lvl 18
Hello all,

I was working on an animation in 3ds Max 2012, with the camera moving happily on my command, until all of a sudden the camera movement is mysteriously locked down. I'm not sure what I might have done to have caused this behavior. It is a bit difficult to describe, so I have uploaded the Max save file to:

http://rapidshare.com/files/2566660801/3ds_Max_Help.zip
http://www.fileserve.com/file/5qFBGCG

If you open the Max file, select the camera, such that its keyframes are visible in the bottom of the screen.

Now, from Frame # 0 to 279, the camera is rotation along a circular track, and you can move it anywhere along the track just fine. No problem here.

From Frame # 279 to 295, the camera is transitioning away from the circular track. I used to be able to move the camera freely before the mysterious incident, but now the camera can only be moved slightly.

Even worse, from Frame # 295 to the very end, the camera position is completely locked down. Again, I used to be able to move it freely.

Question: Does anyone have any idea what caused this mysterious behavior?

Side Question: The animation time used to be integer seconds, but now it is XX:XX to denote fractions of seconds. Is there an easy way to get back to integers?

Thanks,
BR

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On the motion tab, in the "position list" rollout, click "Position XYZ" and click, set active. It should now have a little arrow next to it. This tells it which position controller you want to work on.

It looks like you animated the weight correctly, but just forgot to make that controller active, you'll have to switch back and forth while working if you plan to jump on and off the path.

Personally, I would of path constrained a dummy object to the path, and put a link constraint on the camera, its much easier to link the camera to the world and back to other objects than to try and control a position list. But to each his own.

Since you're running 2012 it helps to save files as 2010 compatible that way people running older versions can also assist you with problems.

Oh also DROPBOX its 1000x better than using file upload sites, it syncs across all of your PC's and will host any kind of file. 2gb of space and all you do is drop a file in the public folder, right click and choose "copy public link" paste that link wherever and you're done. Easier for you, easier for everyone else Win all around.

You can switch the time display in the Time Configuration window, Its the icon down in the lower right, next to the time counter, it looks like a piece of paper with a clock on it. Right now your set to FRAME:TICKS you probably want MM:SS:TICKS?
  • Big Rocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Big Rocket polycounter lvl 18
    Thank you very much, Mark. The issues have been completely resolved: I am able to move the camera freely (Position XYZ set active), and I got the integer time display back up (Frames vs Frames:Ticks).

- BR