Home Technical Talk

Opinions on new prospective rig.

I am having a new machine put together to do my 3d work/rendering on, and I wanted to get some opinions on the parts I plan to combine (voltron) style to make this magnificent engine of creation.

Please let me know what u think.

(p.s., I am concerned about leaving the tower on a carpeted floor, should I put it on a plank of wood or something?)

2hqa536.jpg

Replies

• Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The first issue I see is that the 2600k isn't compatible with the motherboard you picked. The X58 is a LGA 1366 socket, while the 2600 is an LGA 1155 (Sandybridge). While there are 1366 socket i7s, they're a generation before Sandybridge (i7 9xx series CPUs). You want a mobo with either a P67 or Z68 chipset (preferably the Z68, it's newer and has more feature support). Those boards are dual channel, which means you should probably move to an 8 gig RAM setup, which is plenty for game development. Also, the K part of the 2600k means it's unlocked for overclocking, so if you don't plan on OCing, save your money and get the regular 2600.

If you don't specifically need a pro series gfx card, drop the FirePro for a consumer level card. To paraphrase MoP, people don't play games with pro cards, so why develop with them? Honestly, unless you're doing something outside the realm of game content like industrial design, large scale arch viz or the like, there's no need for them. You'll get a lot more power out of a similarly priced GTX 460 or a Raedon 6850.

Unless you're going to run SLI or have a huge bay of HDs running, you don't need 750 watts. Get a rated PSU, 500w or so, Bronze certified or better. Less quality power > more crappy power. You should be able to pick one up for ~$60-70. Lastly, take the money saved and get an SSD in addition to your storage drive. You'll see performance boosts across the board with it.

EDIT- Concerning the carpet, I wouldn't think it'd be a problem unless you're rubbing your case on it. You might spark a bit if you walk around with socks before caressing your lovely new machine. I'd think a wood board would probably be a good investment, just in case.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah generally agreeing with everything Artifice says here, i'll sum it up plus add a bit more:

Get 2600 instead of 2600K

Get a cheaper motherboard that supports your cpu, avoid large motherboards with a bunch of expansion ports and fancy overclocking features, a micro-atx board with minimal features is plenty these days

I have that case, and it is quite large, you may want to consider something smaller. It is a great case, but it is large and heavy, and just has an excessive amount of room in it. Moving it around to blow the dust out on a regular basis is a pain in the ass, case alone is 21 lbs, my computer is probably near 30 lbs all together. It has a lot of room, its heavy as hell and built like a tank, this may be good or bad depending on your preference.

I7s overclock automatically, so its not really worth the time to do, most people who OC do it for bragging rights.

A 500w 80+ psu is more than enough, do not overpay for excessive PSUs

"pro" video cards are a waste of money unless you're doing CAD, they render many many wireframes with anti-aliasing well, thats about it. They perform worse for games, and game engines, so they are poor for game dev.

Go nvidia for your video card unless you want to have driver problems, or lack various features like physx and CUDA. A 460, or 560 is a good buy.

Get a SSD!!!! 120gb or better, will make a huge difference.

8gb instead of 12, dual channel etc etc. [edit] I see you had 24gb(!!!) there, 16gb instead in that cases, however; over 8 is probably a bit excessive. Ram is cheap so it isn't a big deal, but it is probably unlikely you'll see much a difference between 8 and 16(you can always add an extra 8 later if you get 2x4gb sticks).

Make sure you get Win 7 64 bit as well.

Check newegg.com, a basic look shows that same case for $30 less, other components may be cheaper there as well, plus they have excellent RMA, customer service and good shipping times.
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    build.png

In whatever case you want. Throw any disk reader in and good to go. I actually put together the same setup on newegg.ca, WITH the case you have listed and it came up to $1089 before shipping.

You might also look at the i5 2500. It's really considered a sweet spot for CPUs right now. With the i7, you're paying an extra $100 for 0.1gHz more speed and 2MB more L3 Cache. Unless you've got money to burn, you're better off with the i5 and spending the money upgrading something else. You'll never notice the difference anyhow.
  • Urbonov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thank you guys for the detailed responses. Given me a lot to think about...