Home General Discussion

3D Art - Whats your story?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
I'm fairly new to the forums and all my topics have been about me and getting myself into a more professional work flow.
But looking around the forum there seems to be a lot of interesting things going on, I've caught glimpses of people talking about how they learned, how they got deals and jobs, etc.

EDIT: I forgot to put up my 'story'
I've been interested in game development since I was 8, mostly inspired by PS1 games like Spyro, Crash bandicoot, etc. I started learning the basics to making 2D games about 10 and was making crappy pac-man clones by 12. Then I slowly got into making 3D games, started paying more attention in maths, getting physics calculations from my science teachers, trying to put them to work in my games. Its only int he past 2 years that I've been learning how to make current gen 3D games, I'm only now taking 3D Modelling seriously, I used to make hideous topo-screw ups and think "I'm amazing!" when I started looking for guides on animating and texturing I came across this forum, and so its only very recently that I have been trying to get on a professional level with 3D modelling.

So I've been wondering, and spare no details if you have the effort to type it.
Whats your story?
How did you get into 3D art / game development / design?
What were you doing before?

Looking forwards to reading,
Bombshell

Replies

• DarkStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hummm for myself ived started making 3d using milkshape after playing half-life and counter strike beta one in 1998. Since im french its been really difficult for me at 15 to really understand how to make 3d cause all the tutoriasl were in english :poly127: so ived played around with the tool for several years and decided few years ago to finally take a college degree in 3d and now im studying graphic design at university to perfect my computer skills and my art skills at the same time by drawing a lot. I hope someday i will have my own company doing indie game... :)
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Did programming as a teenager. Hated it. At a later age I dropped the whole thing and tried to find something new. I tried going to school for traditional animation, hated it too, so I dropped out.

But I took some life-drawing classes while studying animation, and that stuck with me. I really liked nerding out over anatomy, figuring out costumes, design, proportions and all that stuff. So after I dropped out of animation, I worked all sorts of non-art random-ass jobs, while doing 3D in my spare time, minicomps on GA mostly.

Did this for 3 years, then finally I was hireable and got a job. Now I'm a character artist.

And he lived happily ever after.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a Butcher by trade skill who could not let his son say during show and tell what your parrents do at school day that his dad was a butcher. Picked a new career in games it sounded way better in the long run :).
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Jurassic Park and Toy Story blew my mind as a kid back in the early 90s. They sort of sat in the back of my head for the next decade or so until about 2001-02 when my sister's boyfriend showed me a pirated copy of Bryce 3D. I immediately got to work making chrome flying saucers and shitty landscapes.

From there, I found out about CGTalk and started playing around with Lightwave. By '05 or '06 I found that I was actually interested in CG as a whole, but game art more specifically. Since then, I've been slowly teaching myself with the aid of forums like Polycount.

Aside from that, I've always had a very artistic streak and I've been doing traditional art for as long as I've been able to hold a pencil. That's something like 20 years now. I only recently got into painting, having never gotten a chance to do it because the costs were too prohibitive.
  • Gustavo.Branco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gustavo.Branco polycounter lvl 9
    For me it's still going on.
    Since I live in Brazil, even though I always loved video games and always wanted to work with it, there's no future for one who wants to follow this path here.
    Two years ago, Ubisoft announced that was coming to Brazil, and would start a branch here. At that moment I was 21 and was already working at a Bank for 2 years, but still, when I read this news, there was no other way but to change everything and start working to make my dream come true.
    So I started attending to college, on a programming course, because at the time, I thought that was the fastest way and I always liked programming anyway.
    Since then, after one year and a half sticking to this plan, I decided to unite a group of guys, my classmates, to create a little game and start learning how to work with it. As we were into a programming course, there were a lot of programming guys, and none artists, therefore I voluntarily offered myself. Then, and only then I realized how many different positions there are to work in this industry and got amazed by the Game Art path.
    After that, I dropped out of the college, sold my car, rode a new computer and started attending to courses (first English,then drawing and now game art also).
    Nowadays, Ubisoft have already gone from Brazil, but my dream have become an objective, and now I seek to work in another country, wherever I get an opportunity.
    I just wish I had more free time, probably next year I'm going to quit my job, since my game art course will be finished! :poly136:
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I been playing video games my whole life, and I saw a developers video on how they implemented lighting for Killzone 2, and I wanted to get involved somehow. So I looked into some positions involved with game development and the first on the list was programming...so I tried it...and I was like "No" and so the next on the list was 3d Modeling and Animation, and I tried it and loved it. I worked on CG stuff for a year and then moved onto Game art about 8 months - A year ago. I joined some mod/indie teams and met a bunch of people. Through a bunch of people I met I got on a good team.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    it started when my dad brought home a Sinclair ZX81 and showed me how to make simple graphics with the "graphic" characters. Moved on to a VC20, C64 (Geos paint!), my Dad's XT (MS paintbrush), Amiga (DPaint, Autodesk Animator). Got my first 3D experience with 3D Studio DOS (r2.5 I think?). I didn't dabble with 3D for a few years - I just hated 3ds Max, but I kept working/failing(?) on programming a simple DOS adventure game, lucas/sierra style. I just underestimated how much work it is lol.

Went to school, learned how to become a business programmer (Cobol, SQL, Access & Co), but that was too boring, then having no clue what a portfolio is, I went to AIFL and studied animation. After that I moved from character modeler to technical artist. I now lead a small team of TAs.
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, i got interested in CG back in the mid 90's. Watching Toy Story (how original) and thought I would give it a go. Got my hands on 3d Studio Max 4 i beleive (or something like that) and self taught myself.
    Kept at it ever since. Went to AIE in Melbourne to study the game side, but a lot of studios have closed in Australia and its hard to find the jobs. Looks like the indi scene is picking up here, but since I couldn't get a job after applying everywhere, I work now in a call centre still trying to get art done when I can and hopefully land a job in the design field after so long looking for something. Kind of depressing, really. I want nothing more than to design for a job
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I guess it was modding Quake 2 that got me started on in game 3d. Owning an Amiga got me started on rendered stuff. Then I found Polycount.
  • koufuyo
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Really cool hearing peoples stories :)

I have a traditional art background with an ND and HND in graphic design and illustration. Decided not to do a degree top up as graphic design was annoying but looking back I learnt alot of valuable lessons which really helped me later in life. Originally I wanted to get into comic book art, then it went towards animation (not 3d) at the end of the course. Was part time sales assistant at a gamestation concession to keep myself close to games and then went full time after uni. My Brother then got a job in brighton at Climax studios Brighton (now BlackRock) and I thought thats what I wanna do too. So spent my time learning the software and workflows. Worked my way up to store manager and then they decided to bring in a lady from London to takeover and demote me even though we were constantly at the top of the companies revenue????? She was an idiot and the worst boss ever and the whole store went downhill, it gave me that push though to get the portfolio out there and get a job in games.

got my first interview at Climax studios portsmouth for VFX, went in not knowing a thing about it but got the job and worked there for 1.5 years. loved the job to death but didnt enjoy living up there as it was so expensive. I was gonna be bought onto the character team soon but my ladies parents went bankrupt and she had to move back home and I didnt last long without her so left to try and get work closer to home and start learning character art properly.

spent alot of sleepless nights due to leaving a good job during the recession and no jobs open anywhere, everywhere closing their doors, living off savings, moving back home. Eventually I was confident enough to go freelance and a year later Im still freelancing.

wow, massive wall of text, sorry :(
  • Yinmir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I played video games all my life, messed around in 3dsmax when I was 10, but I didn't really start to get into 3D until highschool, where during my senior year, I was introduced to Maya. From there I pretty much taught myself most things I didn't learn in school by reading documentation and forums. Here I am at 19, still reading and experimenting. I probably should focus more on my modelling since I spent most of my time learning to use the many different 3D and rendering softwares.
  • Dn2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dn2 polycounter lvl 11
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
    wow, read through everyones stories, its really interesting how people get into a similar business in so many different ways. :P
    Just for clarification, Crazyfool? did the freelancing work out good as a career choice?
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Bombshell wrote: »
    wow, read through everyones stories, its really interesting how people get into a similar business in so many different ways. :P
    Just for clarification, Crazyfool? did the freelancing work out good as a career choice?

yea its going really well thanks, bit scarey at the start but it gets easier :) The company Im with right now are amazing so I hope I get to stick with them for a while.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    to score chicks
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it hasn't been working out like I was expecting.
  • Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerial_Knight polycounter lvl 8
    I played with lego's and understand 3d because of it,
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    I pushed a poly it pushed back, we have been at it ever since.
  • bgoodsell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I got here by dumb luck.
    Back in 2003 I built a single level mod and tried to pass it off as a last minute art project in college. It got a good response so I decided to dedicate my senior year to building a complete game as my graphic design thesis. In retrospect, I bit off way more than I could chew building a game myself (with no experience.) Never the less, I created an indie game called Foreverhood in 2005 using on the doom engine (like id tech 1 doom engine). After I graduated, I went back to doing graphic design and got into tattooing.

The recession hit here in the states and my tattooing gig folded up shop. My folks, not being the greatest fan of my line of work talked me into going back to school for a masters degree in something art related (that made money.) I could only think of how challenging designing and creating art for games was and if I had the chance to do anything else as a career, that would be the most satisfying.

However, I was 15 years behind the times in terms of content creation. So after weighting my options, it made sense to go back to school and be taught how to use a 3d program instead spending 5 years trying to figure it all out on my own. I did that, graduated and now i'm here.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17

What? I'm not enough woman for you!?

I studied graphic design at college, using a very early version of Photoshop/illustrator. Got a job doing web design. Started "making" music, using a DOS sequencer called FastTracker II. Found Truespace 2 on a magazine coverdisk and got into messing about with 3D. Then got hold of 3DS Max 4, back when it was made by Kinetix, before Discreet. Did computer game design (Read: Game art production) at university.

I've come along with all of them, doing all of them in a professional capacity in some form or another. My freelance work is mostly graphic design, but I do work 3D (Not strictly game art, but close) gigs, and currently am.

I guess I'm naturally drawn to indie game development, because of my wide creative range, which I do in my spare time. Would love to make strides in making that fulltime and eventually stop working freelance. Nearly finished our first real game :) We'll see how it goes.
  • 3shold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3shold polycounter lvl 7
    I was an Information Systems Tech for the Military for like.. 7 years. I've always been drawn to traditional and digital art. Towards the end of my stint in the service, I decided to go into Game Art.

I enrolled at Ex'pression College for Digital Art (where I still attend). I wanted to use my passion for digital painting to make textures for games. However after taking 3D Modelling 1, I fell in love with modelling. I'm currently teaching myself Zbrush while attending classes.

Uh... that's pretty much it.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15

You should get into rigging. Then you'd be boning models all night.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Swizzle wrote: »
    You should get into rigging. Then you'd be boning models all night.

A+
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got interested in 3D art when I was in 7th grade. I didn't know much other than memorizing the making of Halo 2. About a year later... I got grounded (I forget what I did). Basically I hid my computer under my bed and torrented Maya and the Lynda.com essential training. I spent the entire week watching and rewatching it. I didn't really get into any projects. It was more just making box people and having objects hit them.

In 9th grade, I somehow found adam's name somewhere. I sent him an email asking for what I should do and he sent me here. After a couple months of just looking at other peoples work I started my first project. Took me 2 months about to make a door. I had to redo it a ton of times aswell as being in school. Made a couple other objects through high school but I found that I didn't have a lot of time with classes and sports.

All through high school I was trying to plan where I was going to go to college. Thought I had it figured out but didn't end up getting accepted to that school so last fall I ended up taking a semester at community college. Then I applied to an art school in LA. I've been hear since January. Greatest decision of my life.

I would just say that you should underestimate the "art" in 3d art. Just because it is on the computer doesn't mean that you should know traditional art.

But hell... I don't have a job yet. I just know that next fall when my classes go from traditional to 3d... I'm going to be way ahead... but at the same time I won't feel like it is a waste of time. That's all I can ask for.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty much taught myself 3DS Max so I could make ugly models for Morrowind.

It was fun. Eventually I spent way more time making shit for games than I did actually playing them.

edit: lmao swizz