Home General Discussion

new Laptop question

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
brwnbread polycounter lvl 13
If you had the choice between:

a laptop with a faster processor but an average-ish graphics card

OR

a laptop with a slower processor but a better graphics card...

which would be better for low poly 3d art, so programmes like 3ds max, zbrush and photoshop

basically, what is more important for stuff like this, gpu or cpu?

(If your interested, trying to decide between dell xps and asus g73sw)

thanks

Replies

• AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A desktop.

EDIT - But in all seriousness.. get yourself a cheapy laptop for notes/web/basic stuff and use your money on a desktop that will last you longer than a year and is upgradeable.

I made the mistake of trying to get a laptop for 3D stuff.. was not worth it at all and was a huge waste of money in the end :(

unless you REALLY need a laptop for 3D apps, i would steer clear.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Might not be a choice for him Atlus.

I would go for the nicer graphics card everytime! :D What are the specs of the two machines? Too lazy to search.
  • brwnbread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the specs are somthing like...

xps:
    -2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2820QM processor 2.30 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.40 GHz
    -8gb ram
    -1080p in a 15 inch rgb led backlit screen
    -geforce gt 540m
    -and all the other stuff

asus:
    -2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM processor 2.00 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz
    -8gb ram
    -1080p in a 17inch wled backlit screen (and its 3d ¬_¬)
    -GeForce GTX 460M
    -and all the other stuff

Iv been talkin to people and I think I will go with the asus tbh... the gpu looks tonnes better, and the cpu isnt that much worse... main thing I will be missing with the xps is the 15 inch screen with the cool colours and its a bit cheaper

and I would like a desktop tbh, but its too much hastle taking it places. Ill get one when I settle down properly lol... if I ever do :). BESIDES, they cant be that much worse for 3d stuff and in any case, both these laptops are better than my current desktop.
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I almost got the Asus one, before I went silly and got the Dell Precision :p Only thing that hugely turned me off was the silly 3d :/

Nice big screen for you though :D

I don't mind the big laptop as I drive everywhere so there didn't seem any point having a netbook, plus it also means I can work at my folks when I visit
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    basically its quicker rendering/baking vs better real-time performance, your choice.

I'd also try "feeling" out the size difference, because I know a lot of people that say 17in is too big, but it really depends on how much you are lugging it around. And you know the battery life while gaming or doing heavy cg work is going to be like 2 hrs max, right?
  • Shawry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shawry null
    I'm still using my Dell XP M1330 (13") laptop after 3 years for all my 3D work. Its got a nice balance of CPU/GFX due to its small size and portability.
    The only time I switch to my desktop pc for work is rendering complex scenes that require a lot of texture memory.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I can only speak for me, but if its a Optimus. Be wary. I have discovered Nvidias drivers work horribly for 3d max. As well as crashes in certain games with high shaders enabled.

Meanwhile, my AMD cards NEVER gave me such problems. I know it used to be the other way around, but now its AMD with the good drivers and Nvidia without.

Also, check your gpus here
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

Then see their watt dissipation if listed. Heat and battery life are something you need to take into account.
  • brwnbread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really want a sager one lol. But the if something goes wrong I have to pay to send it back for them to fix because I live in the UK. shit sucks.

Im guna get the asus one, seems to be the best deal in the UK...
  • brwnbread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, cant get that asus anymore... everyone in the uk seems to have stopped selling it...

does tht mean something newer is coming out soon?