Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Leicester Square Future Vision

Hi, my name is Geert De Cnodder and I study Digital Art and Entertainment at Howest College and together with 4 of my classmates, Fries Carton, Alexander Timmermans, Thomas Vandenberghe and Maarten De Nef, I am making a level with London 2111 as the Theme. We chose to make Leicester Square in London. We are not making all the original building since we only got till the end of June to make this level. But we want to create a unique mood in our level. I am not gonna tell you exactly what we are planning to do with it. But since we only got less then 2 months to finish it you'll see fast progress on this tread.

This are the first objects I made.
263u9oj.png

Some sandbags for in our level.
Only used a basic burlap texture and a normalmap generated out of that texture, Its a tileable texture since we need to be really economical with our texture space. And thats why we chose not to bake from a high ress model or something.

If you got any more tips for me in how I can improve this model or the tileable texture please let me know.

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would probably add a bit more color variation in the diffuse, as its reading as almost a flat gold color right now. Also turn down the spec quite a bit, as burlap is usually very dull and doesn't reflect much light.

I'm a little confused as to why you couldn't bake a normal map from a high res model. Is this one solid model, or the same sandbag instanced to create the stack?
  • Gertmanus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It are 2 solid models, 3 more coming for more variation in the form of the sacks. And if you got to worry about not having enough texture space the best you can do is go for tileable's and you cant tile such a bake from a high res model not that I know off. If you got a way it is possible tell me :D would be so much appreciated.

And any idea on how I can increase the color variation in it? just few more dark toned sacks and few more light toned sacks? :)
  • Gertmanus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok been busy with other school projects but I want to show you guys some new props I made.

The first one is a barge that is gonna be hanging in the air attached to some building with huge chains. Anyone any idea how I can make this texture look more real.
    13zycde.png
    2u90ab8.png

I also made some Ruble pieces to make some borders to my level. I used Mark Dygert's method of creating the rubble, the textures and stuf are those off myself.

123s4dd.png
    wia9mc.png

Here are my remade sandbags, were gonna add a noise map in udk so the sandbags will get some more variation.

9qe5xd.png
    2priu.png

and last are some plank and poles I made for the wood structure, these will get a moss map over them to let them look more like wood that has been corroded by water for ages. And offcourse some corrugated iron plates.

2uzp65k.png
    23lbeo8.png

Hope you guys aren't to mad at me now for not posting in a long time.

I would love to like some comments/feedback/tips on the props, So thx all in advance :)
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    i think you got too much high frequency stuff happening in the diffuse, and your spec and gloss seem non existent.

if you want some really high frequency surface detail make a separate small tiling normal map, and overlay while removing the blue channel in the game engine.

what are you using to preview these materials.

for best results you sjhpuld preview in the target game engine, but if you cant do that you should at-least using something like the 3pointshader or the Xoliul shader if your just previewing the materials in maya or max.
  • Gertmanus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    i think you got too much high frequency stuff happening in the diffuse, and your spec and gloss seem non existent.

if you want some really high frequency surface detail make a separate small tiling normal map, and overlay while removing the blue channel in the game engine.

what are you using to preview these materials.

for best results you sjhpuld preview in the target game engine, but if you cant do that you should at-least using something like the 3pointshader or the Xoliul shader if your just previewing the materials in maya or max.

I use the xoliul shader since my professor is the one who developed it. and what do you mean with high frequency stuff? never got that comment before, it will probably be true, but I dont know exactly what you mean by it, can you maybe elaborate a bit about the subject, would me much appreciated :). And is this on the barge or on all the props? (every prop has spec and gloss btw, I can post them here if you like)
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    The barge seems like it has a tiling texture on it that repeats a lot. Try adding some textures to the whole barge in ps. One end might be slightly dirtier for example.

Same with the wood, at a distance the wood all merges into one colour. Try an overlaying an extra texture or two on it in photoshop.

You mentioned that you used tiling for the sandbags? what size is the tiling texture? Try making a non tiling texture for it, like 256x256 or maybe smaller. It would look a lot better.

Lol you're professor made the xoliul shader. Cool. That sounds like a good class.
  • Gertmanus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp wrote: »
    The barge seems like it has a tiling texture on it that repeats a lot. Try adding some textures to the whole barge in ps. One end might be slightly dirtier for example.

Same with the wood, at a distance the wood all merges into one colour. Try an overlaying an extra texture or two on it in photoshop.

You mentioned that you used tiling for the sandbags? what size is the tiling texture? Try making a non tiling texture for it, like 256x256 or maybe smaller. It would look a lot better.

Lol you're professor made the xoliul shader. Cool. That sounds like a good class.

Yeah idd, cool class, its for his class I am making this :), and sandbags are a 512 tiling texture, i use the same for all 3 of them. I experimented with a 256 texture but its looked like nothing, And I made the barge modular, so making one end dirtier in PS is maybe bit hard, could fix it in UDK with Decals and stuff though.

Will definetly redo the wood, its the once prop I am the least convinced about :) thx for crits, keep them comming ! :)