Home General Discussion

I need a second opinion...

LMP
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
LMP polycounter lvl 13
So, I've got this idea for my next series of projects...

I want to make two environments, one realistic, one very stylized. But, they are both based off the same real world source and reference.

So, yeah... is this a stupid idea? Either way I'm going to definitely going to go ahead make the realistic environment as my next project.

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    That sounds fun.

The downside might be anything about the realistic env that's not 100% realistic VS not stylized about the stylized version would clearly standout more. However, if you nailed the execution it wouldn't be a problem.
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allan-p polycounter lvl 7
    As an artists we always continually challenge ourselves. We try and push ourselves to that point of feeling uncomfortable as it's new or different, rather than sticking to the continual route of repeated design and playing it safe (unless a client is involved and you are under strike deadlines). So if you feel as if it would benefit you and make you grow as an artist shoot for it. Just find something fun and dedicated everything you have to it.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    That sounds like a really cool idea! You should do it! If it doesn't quite work who cares? I am sure you will still learn from it :)

Did you have an environemnt in mind?
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I think it's an awesome idea.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Well, my idea was a scene based off a really bizarre scene I witnessed back in December. So, I was walking to the bus stop, and right there near the bus stop, there was a car crashed into the fire hydrant, the sidewalk was buckled and a tiny mini-water fall was pouring out of the crack between the curb and the sidewalk. That's my starting point.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Omg thats crazy! I hope everyone was ok! But yeah I, at least think it would work!

You should go for it!
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    crazy.jpg

One of the crappy phone photos I snapped on the day, I've also gone out and snapped a good 75 or so high res photo refs of building and potential props around the area. I snapped shots of literally everything I could find around there was seemed like a crucial detail to include.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't need our approval, get to it!