Home General Discussion

Inspirational games?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
benji polycounter lvl 7
So, I want to be a game artist. But it's been a while since I really got into any good games... I see this as a problem :\

Can you guys recommend me some games that represent the pinnacle of excellence in art and design.

What would you say are the classics of current-gen games, in terms of the character/environment designs, art style, so on?

Also - suggest me some inspirational films to watch, good concept artists, etc! thanks!

Replies

• Kurry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well art-wise I was blow away by Castlevania, Lords of Shadow. Especially the later stages were absolutely gorgeous. Also a really enjoyable experience aswell ^^
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Honestly, I think if you're trying to improve you should be looking at how to improve as an artist. Drawing, sculpting traditional skills etc That should be what your 'excellence' bar should be set at.

Good study of historical art methods > Good game art
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I'm just going to assume you want sci fi inspiration...just coz

Crysis is blowing me away atm.

movies:

Fifth Element
    Chronicles of Riddick
    Matrix

As dreamer says though. Dont just think playing games and watching films is enough to become a games artist. You need the basics first. Plus you need to look at alot of other things as well. Fashion design, industrial design, Anatomy, etc, etc, etc...the list is endless.....
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    I recognise that the basis of good art and design comes from the fundamentals that you listed, and that games are just a medium in the wider realm of art. I'm definitely not casting these fundamentals aside - but I just feel I'm getting too disconnected from games as an artistic medium, which can't be a good thing. Correct me if this makes no sense but I think a game artist who doesn't play games is like a writer who doesn't read.

I'm in need of some 'gamey' inspiration but I will aim to reinforce my grasp of the fundementals too.thanks for the suggestions!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Artwise?

Recently:

For Sci Fi I'd say Vanquish, Gears of War 2, Crysis 2, Portal 2, Starcraft 2, and Mass Effect 2.

Pretty much every sci fi game in the past 2 years that ends with the number 2.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Uncharted 1 & 2, Prince of Persia (2008 ), Mirrors Edge
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    "The Witcher: Assassins of Kings" is the nicest looking game I've seen in a little while.

There'd be a lot you could learn from Portal 2 too.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    benji wrote: »
    Correct me if this makes no sense but I think a game artist who doesn't play games is like a writer who doesn't read.

~ I don't play games. Ever. I still managed to claim a character art job even before I had time to graduate.

Playing games, and making game art are not symbiotic.
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Wow, okay, I will take your word for it because your art is incredible man.

Do you mind telling me about your education, and how you got to where you are?
    And where do you look to for inspiration?
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't believe no one has mentioned Metro 2033 yet. So...

Metro 2033!

Probably one of the best looking games I have ever played. The texture work in that game is mind blowing.
  • RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    I'm in the same boat as some of the other folks here. As soon as I decided I wanted to get into games, I quit playing them in any significant capacity. I figured if I had time to play games, I had time to be making myself a better artist.

That being said, I do find inspiration in games. Here's a quick list of games to look at, both for their in-game art and for their concept art:
    The Witcher 1 & 2 and its concept art
    Guild Wars 1 & 2 and its concept art
    District 9 and its art book
    Gears of War series

I also spend some time looking up artists on specific games and finding their artwork online. Lots of inspiration in seeing artists just go crazy on personal work and not being restrained by work limitations.
  • koufuyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am going to sound like a real old head for saying this but......
    Makai Kingdom, or anything from the mario rpg series

Such games gave me the message
    "No idea is too outlandish; if you can imagine it, put it to paper/model/paint program.
  • tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    not the best looking game but in terms of unique gameplay you can't beat amnesia. plus i think everyone who works/wants to work in video games should at least have played minecraft at some point. it's not just about making games look good imo.

as another artist who doesnt really have time to play many games i will say watch a lot of trailers and reviews, read and listen to PCG and the Escapist magasines and podcasts (or your prefered brand of PC Gaming related media). just because you're not playing games doesnt mean you cant be aware of them. oh and practice a lot too.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Most inspirational game I've played recently is Flower. Definitely a pinnacle of game design. I'd say it's one of the best designed games of all times. Not really what you'd be looking for if you just want typical next gen art stuff though. :P