Home Technical Talk

Baking issues

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 13
Hey all, so I have been searching the forums for the answer for this, and I'm sure it has been asked a million times before, so I hope I don't piss anyone off be reiterating this.

Here is my issue, I made my high poly, then tried to transfer the rounded edges and such with Ultimapper (softimage), transfer maps (maya) and even Xnormal (dont really know how to use it), and keep getting this result. I must be missing one step. I know the buttons suck, but they are at least just an issue of strength, and not actually baking wrong.

What is happening is evident, but basically I can only describe it as the rounded edges are coming out... wrong.

Problem: bakeerror.jpg

Map: Normal-2.jpg

High poly: booth_2-1.jpg

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately this is just the way split vertex normals and normal maps work.

See these two threads on how to fix it:

Normal Maps: Can Somone Explain This "Black Edge" issue

Understanding averaged normals and ray projection/Who put waviness in my normal map?
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Ben's links probably covered it, but you most likely need to split the uvs if you are baking to a hard edge, and you need to use a cage to bake instead of using the surface projection method which some applications default to.

Its a setting in your app, different for every one. For xnormal you either create a cage in the 3d viewer or import an external cage, if you have no cage loaded it will bake using the surface method by default. Maya has a toggle between geometry normals and surface normals in the advanced bake setting. Geometry normals allow you to bake around corners while surface normals will give you a seam on the edge but more accurate surface detail.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Apuna: Thanks a lot for the links, watching some of the videos posted on them right now.

PredatorGSR: I think I am learning quite a bit right now, getting a bit of a grasp. By hard edge, it just means >90 degrees right? Because obviously I am trying to get a soft, beveled looking edge. So do you know how to change these in softimage? I know in maya how to designate soft and hard normals, but no idea in softimage (only how to mark hard edges). Also when you split the uv's, do you just move the islands far enough apart that they don't bleed into each other? Thanks!
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry can't help with the softimage issues.

Yeah you can move your UVs apart to make sure there's enough pixel padding between the different shells. This value can vary depending on the texture size, 8 pixels between shells (so 4 pixels around each shell) on a 1024 is a good place to start. You really can't ever have too much padding as mip mapping can shrink you textures down a lot when viewed from a distance. Don't forget to actually generate the padding on the textures as well.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Apuna: Thanks for the reply man. K this is starting to make some sense, and forgive if I am coming off as lazy, but I'm really trying to get this down as I'm building my school demo reel. When you said to actually generate the padding, is that an option within the software, like an option in the baking menu, or is this something in photoshop?
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No worries :)

In xNormal -> Baking Options -> Edge Padding

There's also a xNormal Photoshop plugin that can help make padding.

In Photoshop -> Filter -> xNormal -> Dilation...

Though you need to have an alpha channel that represents the UV shells without padding for this to work. White = the texture, black = the area to be padded.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    O ok, so the pixel padding just takes the outer most color, and pushes it out? I will use the xnomal filters because I am really not comfortable with the program. So splitting UV's is literally that? I drew a picture, because it sounds obvious and I just want to make sure. I also feel like splitting UV's would make things such as scratches where there are corners really hard to do, because the uv's aren't attached. I also can't recall ever seeings uv's split on peoples texture sheet.

I labelled them to show what I think is going on. Ugh seems really noobish to be asking, but my school basically taught normal mapping as the easiest thing in the world, and I am starting to find out it is extremely complicated.

split2.jpg
    split.jpg
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup that's the idea behind split UVs.

Yes it does make it harder to paint over the seams, especially if you are only using Photoshop (prior to 3d painting in PS? I'm on CS2 so don't know anything about how that works...).

Nowadays people use various 3D painting apps, Mudbox, 3DCoat, Bodypaint, etc... to get around the painting over seams issue.

Another way is to deal with seams is to use Blender's projection painting, it works with Photoshop as well.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNd54jgesgk[/ame]