Home Technical Talk

How to get object back on the Grid. Softimage XSI.

synergy11
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/capture1gridhelp.jpg/

Everytime I snape to grid to transform, move the object. It snaps over a unit but relative to its current position.

How to get on the grid?

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I'm a bit confused here; the image you've posted shows that that model is snapped to the grid (if the center is at the default middle of it's bounding box). If it is off a tad bit, you could just enter numerical values for its x/y/z transforms; stick with integers and that will have it back where the grid-lines intersect.

Or are you trying to scale that longer brick to fill in the gap? The easiest way probably would have been to duplicate one of those cube blocks and scale it 2-x. If you're trying to select the edge verts/edges and snap them to the grid, you'll probably have to go about it a slightly different way as it appears you have a bevel-width which you'll probably want to maintain. For that you can use a cluster center. 1 sec and I'll whip up something explaining that.

Edit: Like so http://cryrid.com/images/temp/XSI/cluster_center
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    That cluster info is all new to me! Thanks for those pics I will learn that.

However all I want to do is snap the top left brick to the brick on the right. So its on the grid beside that brick.

I guess I should cloned my bricks from one brick to lay out my pattern than I could have beveled the main brick to have all the bricks automatically bevel.

I never knew that beveling an object would cuz the grid snapping to go bonkers.

Thanks for you pics.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    However all I want to do is snap the top left brick to the brick on the right. So its on the grid beside that brick.
    In that case it might be quicker to just move the entire center of the object to it's corner-most vert (several ways to do it, one being select the vert and under Transforms choose 'move center to vertices'). Then select the entire mesh and snap it next to the brick you want.

Bevels have no impact on snapping. Only the centers (whether its the actual mesh center, the center of gravity for a given selection, or a cluster's center).