Home General Discussion

TwitPic owns your pictures -Article

polycounter lvl 15
Online / Send Message
Lamont polycounter lvl 15
Link to something interesting. I know a lot of you use an image hosting service for your art, but PLEASE READ the TOS of whatever service you use... anything for that matter.

::LINK::

Replies

• Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Who doesn't read the Terms and Conditions before agreeing to something?

itunes-terms-human-centipad-south-park-apple.png
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Glad I use dropbox now.

"Dropbox does not claim any ownership rights in Your Files." - Dropbox terms of service.

Edit: Imageshack is safe, but it is kinda annoying in its self now

"The content that you distribute through the ImageShack Network is owned by you, and you give ImageShack permission to display and distribute said content on sites and services operated exclusively by ImageShack (ImageShack.com and yfrog.com).

You may revoke this permission at any time by requesting your content to be removed. Such requests will be processed within a maximum period of 24 hours (but usually as short as one hour). You may request deletion and/or mark your content private through our sites' user interfaces, or by contacting ImageShack directly.

After your request is processed, ImageShack will cease distribution of your content within a maximum period of 24 hours (but usually as short as one hour) and will absolve itself of any ownership of said content, implied or otherwise.

ImageShack will not sell or distribute your content to third parties or affiliates without your permission. Third parties may exercise the following options regarding your content:

Third parties may hyperlink to the page that displays your content (either on yfrog.com or imageshack.com) without modification and with proper attribution to you.
    Third parties may request permission to use your content by contacting you directly.
    All requests for permission regarding your content usage directed at ImageShack will be forwarded to you. All uploaded content is copyrighted to its respective owners. ImageShack directs full legal responsibility of said content to their respective owners. All content generated by ImageShack is copyrighted by ImageShack. ImageShack is not responsible for any uploaded content, nor is it in affiliation with any entities that may be represented in the uploaded content."
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Frump wrote: »
    Who doesn't read the Terms and Conditions before agreeing to something?

I think you'd be surprised as to the sheer amount of people who don't bother reading past the first paragraph of a ToS/ToC.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    I almost never read them, unless I have doubts about the company.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Whom has the time to read all the terms and services to the things they buy or use?
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    twitpic have the rights to your picture of a bowl of ramen or a really blurry photo of something vaguely amusing you saw out of a bus window. It's a nightmare world.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    yeah...shalt be using them.

This clause has obviously been added so they can profit in some way. Maybe selling your images on to stock images sites, etc.

I use imageshack mainly. But i never read the terms on anything tbh, even when im spending lots of cash. Maybe i'm too trusting.
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    danr: twitpic's policies actually have serious implications for photographers and those who post real-time news photos (like the cellphone photos of the airplane landing in the Hudson, for example). Many other twitter-picture sites also have similar clauses, which is really disappointing. Apparently MobyPicture is the best alternative for those wishing to retain all rights on their images (which should be the default?!).
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph wrote: »
    I think you'd be surprised as to the sheer amount of people who don't bother reading past the first paragraph of a ToS/ToC.

Heh, I usually just read the 2nd to last -> last paragraphs. I figure that's where they'd slip the sneaky stuff in. shifty.gif
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I can only presume that anyone who doesn't use imgur just hasn't heard of the site. It's by far the simplest, cleanest looking, most ad free image host I've found. You retain rights, you can delete your files, and you can request deletion of any work you own if someone else is hosting it on imgur.

because imgur hosts most images that make it big on reddit, they even have their own voting and comment system and community based around the current most popular image uploads.

And so many more features!

Imgur, bitches. They should pay me to say this shit.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    Calabi wrote: »
    Whom has the time to read all the terms and services to the things they buy or use?
    Luckily, there's free software that will read it for you.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    and what happens if someone uploads an image with a work from other artist? wtf

twitpic are idiots, serously. They should be punished for that TOS, it's inmoral.

I'm using Dropbox and my personal webspace in dreamhost :D
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    http://blog.twitpic.com/2011/05/your-content-your-copyrights/

case closed, tos re-explained in matter of hours, internet rage is so powerful lol.
    but I deleted all my pic :( , got to reupload again