Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Resident Evil Rebecca painting with Tutorial

So I figured I'd do alittle walkthru/tutorial of a painting I just finished. Hopefully it will be helpful for some fellow artists out there.

So here is the finished piece and then I will go into my process.
(photobucket is shrinking it and killing the quality so you may want to download the large version from my CGhub or deviant art galleries-
http://cghub.com/images/view/131911/ or http://mikernaut.deviantart.com/#/d3fq7yd

Rebecca_Chambers_MJL_2011_v2.jpg

So I had an older Resident Evil portrait study...

RE_Portraits.jpg

... and I wanted to take Rebecca and do a newer full body redesign. Opened up Photoshop and started sketching some body poses over the head. Nothing overly fancy, just a full body stance so I could also re-invent her uniform.

rb_wip1.jpg

I got wrapped up in also improving her face and making it more realistic. There's a slight younger Natalie Imbruglia influence to her. So I played around with giving her a head wound and some scratches. I also lightened up the face to give her a 'softer" look.

I hit her hair with a touch of blue and purple around the highlights using color dodge and overlay layers. I really liked what was happening. Alot of times I create and try different things on the fly and see how various kinds of layers affect the piece. It might be a slightly slower approach but I find it to be very creatively rewarding.

rb_wip2.jpg

I also wanted to give her some hardened plastic-ish armor like a stormtrooper or the MNU soldiers in District 9.

Another trick I like to use is making crazy patterns and shapes in the program Alchemy. I will then overlay it on the painting and pull out details and shapes I like to start forming the armor.
I had this image that I have also used on my website's title page.

alchemy_shapes.jpg

At this stage I decided to begin working up her torso build it up from dark to light and start detailing some elements to her bodysuit and gear. I thought about adding a hexagram pattern like some of the outfits in RE5 but ultimately decided I liked the slick , cleaner green variants with some brighter trimming. Here I also drop in some digital camo as a overlay to her stomach pouches. LOL ,notice I'm being bad and avoiding the hands for now.

rb_wip3.jpg

Time to add some logos and more details to her chest plate. Then some plexi/bulletproof panels and strange "rib" armor around the ammo pouches. Also added in a throat mic. Here is where we stand so far.

rb_wip4.jpg

Ok, time to work up her arms. Notice the build up of oranges and a touch of blue for arm veins and some reflective light. I do this with soft light and overlay layers.

add some blood spatter, rust, grit and some reflection to the armor. I have a great dripping rust reference picture that I love to use as blood splatter. It works swimmingly as a color burn layer, then you adjust the opacity level to your liking.

rb_wip5.jpg

Time to work on the tricky parts, that's right the hands and feet because I have been procrastinating on them. So at this point I break out my ancient digital camera and start posing in the bathroom mirror to get some reference shots to work from. I also have a Airsoft Beretta auto 9 gun that I have decided to use instead of giving her some machineguns. So I take it outside for some more pics and hope the neighbors don't freak out.

gun_ref.jpg

ok it's getting closer.

rb_wip6.jpg

slap some color and background grunge down.

rb_wip7.jpg

Now some finishing touches. I grab the Resident Evil logo from my old portrait piece and convert it to a difference layer to get the desired blue version. I also have the techy trim pieces I did for my website which I decide to use for borders.

trim.jpg

and just when I think I'm done, my good buddy Rob gives me a helpful critique and says that her left leg looks too long. Sure enough I've been looking at the piece for soo long I didn't see it until he said something. So I go back in and tweak it. She loses alittle something in the initial pose but we can't have a freak leg on her. hah!

legs.jpg

There was definitely room to push the pose and the weight on her hips . Something I should have worked up better in the early stages. A lesson for next time.

Well that's a wrap. Hope it was somewhat helpful.

Replies