Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

One Handed Axe

copyright
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
copyright polycounter lvl 7
Hi I'm pretty new to 3d art, I think my texturing is better than my modeling but here I go:

One handed axe for a first person medieval game

axee.jpg

2048 x 1024 texture

600 polygons

Replies

• nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    Can we see the wireframe? 600 seems a little bit too much. Also, why not use a 1024x1024? That should be all you need.
  • copyright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    You could probably cut down the number of edge loops on the handle, 8 to 12 is probably sufficient.

You could also separate the handle and axe head into separate geo.
  • tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    ditto with regards to the poly count - the handle is very high for a game art piece and even the blade could afford to lose some verts probably.

with regards to the modelling - the axe looks fresh out the shop! where's the chinks and dents that you'd get from using it to cave in ork heads! the handle looks like it's been polished and varnished - a few dents and cuts would really help sell it better.

with the texture - it's a good start but what maps are you using (ie diffuse specular normal etc.?) the wood texture looks way too shiny imo and doesnt looks like there's a specular map controlling where the highlights are. similarly with the blade - the metal texture is fine but it doesnt have the highlights that make me believe it's metal. lastly the whole thing could do with a bit more dirtying up in the cracks and joins just to give it a bit more of a "used" look.

for an early piece though it's good - keep it up.
  • copyright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the crits, I will try to do better next time :)

Haha, I had some fun with the axe

axe2.jpg

*** I think the black spot on the shaft is AO errors when I made the shaft longer lol
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    you should do more with the handle maybe like a leather wraped handle and also some work on how you have the axe head attached.

if you look at the haed of most axes and hammers there is a wood chip put into the top to lock in the axe head with friction.

also most axes have have a curve in the handle just below where you would hold onto to allow you to get a better grip when swinging it.

when it comes to making things like this think of function and how it is assembled which for me at-least opens a flood gate of detailing ideas.

though good start what you have done sofar looks good, although a 2k map seems a bit much.

edit:

you should reconsider your spec map in the last image the wood seems more shiny than the blade, when it should have the dullest specular.
  • copyright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made the wood less shiny and fixed the AO render axes.png