Home Technical Talk

15 instances of scvhost.exe running

So I googled the process and it seems benign
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-svchostexe-and-why-is-it-running/

but 15 instances seems rather odd yes? 14 of them are using less than 1 mb and then I see one that is always running and is taking up 140 mb. I would like to eliminate this one. What do you think about doing that and why is it taking up so much memory?

Replies

• iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    No, 15 isn't that odd. 12 or more is the example given in the article you linked and it tells you in there how to reduce them. That said, the one that's taking up memory is probably the one governing things you're actually using. Ultimately, if you're having memory problems, a better solution would be to get more memory instead of trying to kill potentially system-critical processes.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    You could always get rid of it, why not see what happens. If you dont return then we'll know what.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    15 is a pretty normal number if you want to reduce the amount of ones going and the memory they use you should run "services.msc" and stop the one that aren't useful.

svchost is just the host application for all your services to run in.

currently my comp has 12 svchost services running and 57 services and i run windows7 64bit you prolly have similar numbers.

if you go threw the list and there desperations you could prolly disable a lot of them with no bad effects depending on your computers setup but it wont likely give you any noticeable performance increase. and more than likley confuse the fuck out of you when you try to do something a week later that relies and something you fucked up.
  • p3r4app01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I run Avast! everyday but it never gets any hits
    doing an RMA on 8 gigs of memory, hopefully that will help later
  • p3r4app01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks a lot perna, i sent it in already
    god

it's like we are in two different universes
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    If you want to know what's actually running in those services you can use something like Process Explorer ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653 )