Home Technical Talk

Maya 2010 64-bit Windows 7: Lag with viewport and component selection. :(

I've been having this error for the past few months since installing maya 2010.
I'm running on:
8gb ram
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel i7 Cpu
AMD Radeon HD 6950.

I've had multiple complete system crashes, and face selection has been slow ever since I installed maya. It doesn't seem to be a graphics card issue, because both amd and nvidia cards seem to have this problem.

A video can be found here:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIugnMOlxtA[/ame]

However, this guy seems to have it way worse than I do, and you'll notice that this problem is also apparent in Maya 2011.

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea how to fix this. Google hasn't been helpful in the slightest. :poly127:

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    jv16 PowerTools solved my issues with 3DS Max. I was getting some iffy performance in Max and constant crashes because I didn't 'clean out' my previous Hotfix for Max, so the latest one gave issues.

A simple deep clean solved all that after a fresh install. Your mileage may vary, but a program like CCleaner might also help if your situation isn't as dire as mine.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    AMD/ATI cards tend to have issues with Maya every now and then, so I suspect that might be the culprit.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    got the same problem, and your computer blows mine out of the whatever

4gig ram
    64bit amd athlon 2.1ghz
    ati mobility hd5145

I guess this is a good a time as any to do what I always do to my friends, promote Maya 2009!!!:):thumbup: (or earlier even!)
  • xysdf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xysdf polycounter lvl 17
    I got the same or a similar problem (maya 2010), it happened always when I selected something (vertex,faces...) and then tried to rotate around. By luck I turned my AntiVirus program off (PC Tools Internet Security) and found out that it was the cause of it. stupid programs...
  • Nihlus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's kind of stupid, but...Maya doesn't support Radeon cards, and they are just now trying to make them more compatible. Anyways, installed the educational Maya 2012 through my school, and it seems to run a littttle bit better. I still get the lag, but just a little less often, and ZERO crashes so far.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    It's the other way around. Typically it's poor driver implementations that cause many compatibility issues with 3d software.

Every now and then for both Nvidia and ATI/AMD they will introduce drivers that break things in various programs. A few months ago Nvidia introduced some new drivers just before their 500 series GPUs were launched, which broke the Maya "High Quality" viewport option among other things. Since this driver update was before those cards came out, you couldn't roll back and a bunch of people with them were SOL for a few weeks.