Home Technical Talk

Nvidia Optimus and 3D MAx !! :/

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
Um. What am I doing wrong? (In Max 11)

I choose DX9, and rotating simple objects "pops" around.. It shows the Nvidia in use.

I choose DX10 and rotating is better but now all models are triangulated and it shows the Intel card in use. So the 3ds shader no longer works.

I have the Nvidia control center pushing the Nvidia card for 3dmax.exe... The card is a 335M which supports DX10. I even tried making the 335M the global card for all applications and its still trying to push the Intel card in dx10 in max.

Does Max support only wok for Dx10.1 cards? Or is it just a driver issue? (270.61)

Right now Im stuck in openGL. :(

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I never use DX10, for some reason I can't get the models to stop being triangulated either...even when I check "don't show triangles" or whatever in the hardware settings.

Thats with a GTX260 at home and a GTX480 at work.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    turning Aero off worked for me sometimes. But at other times it would not. Driver didn't seem to matter. That happened on Win7 x64.

I used to have this problem when I had a GF 8800 and was never able to solve it. In DX9 viewport lag was terrible and DX10 display was just wrong. I was using Max 2009 til mid 2010 when I upgraded to a GF 260. The new card didn't have this behaviour.

I remember there were one or two threads about it on Autodesk's Area website, but everyone else was just as clueless as it didn't affect many people. But go there and check, maybe someone finally found out what caused it.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    custom dx shaders only work in dx9 viewport (or at least used to)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm.. And why are Nvidia such great drivers now???? My AMD gpus never complained...

Anyhow, I saw a thread on the autodesk site from 2010. Which basically stated everything I attempted.

The issue is with dx9, its not working smoothly when I rotate. It literally pops around on screen. While dx10 does rotate smoothly but is defaulting to the intel card even though I told it to use the nvidia.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    exactly the same issue I had. Couldn't even make a teapot in an empty scene.
    The funny thing is, the smaller the viewport, the less ti would pop around though.

Sorry man, but the only thing that worked for me was switching OS or video card or max version....unless someone has a really clever idea what it could be.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was just searching for an answer for this yesterday, to no avail. I'm running 3ds Max 2011 64 bit on Windows 7 with a Nvidia Geforce GTX 560ti, and I always get popping in the viewport when rotating, no matter how complex the scene is. Very frustrating.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Side note - The rotation popping doesn't seem to occur in Max 2012
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The most stable Max config is max2009 on XPpro 64 with any kind of decent nvidia card. It might be worth giving it a try...