Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Evan Burrill

Hey Guys, I'm going to be graduating from college soon and thought I'd get some comments and critiques on my website and it's content before I start applying for jobs.

Whatever it is, just point it out! Site design look bad? Spelling error in my resume? image just doesn't look right? Just let me know.

eBurrillPortfolioClick.jpg

Also, at the bottom of my pages I have Copyright 2011 Evan Burrill unless stated otherwise. All Rights Reserved.
How exactly do I state a phrase saying something like the Nerf gun isn't an original work, and is a work of the Nerf company.

I'd like to give credit where it's due, but I'd rather not make it sound like I created the Nerf gun for Hasbro.

Something like:
This model is based off of the Maverick N-Strike Nerf Gun, Owned By Hasbro, and is not an original work of Evan Burrill.
Maybe? I just want it phrased professionally.

Anyway, tell me what you think. Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Here's some suggestions:
    - I don't think you'll need the links under the page (images | r
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    You don't have to do copyright stuff, it's not commercial anyways, unless you're planning on selling the model using the companies brand or something.

The site looks fine to me, It's true when people say that it's really really hard to get your foot in the door. When you look at your portfolio and look at other grad-students portfolios do you feel like your is equally good or better? Not only the ones in your class but here on polycount or other gameartist forums. If you feel like it's not up to par, then you probably have to work more on it, because in the end you're competing with everyone here for a job. That's the harsh reality of it.

Regarding the content:
    Right now I'd say that you're not where you need to be to able to get a job. Your modeling skills show to some extent but you haven't created anything too complex. Design and creativity is quite lacking as well, the thing that can make up for it is texturing skill but right now it shows that you haven't put in a lot of time on the textures. Looking at the texture sheets I see that most of it are solid colors, a general rule of thumb is that you should be able to "see" what kind of material it is on the texture sheet.

I do feel like your demo-reel is a bit better than your still images right now and really nice work on the nerf-gun, it's more accurate than the one in my portfolio that's for sure. :) Oh well hope I didn't sound too harsh, I don't mean to be rude or anything. Good luck man!
  • Burrill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000:
    - I put the links under each page so users wouldn't have to scroll all the way to the top of the page to go back to the images link.

-Yes, the reel isn't useful at all. That's only there because it was required for me to graduate. Our class actually found out there's a lot of companies don't enjoy watching demoreels unless things are animated.

chrisradsby:
    -I'm always comparing my work to others, and I'm fully aware my site is probably blaring "STUDENT PORTFOLIO!"

-I've known for quite a while that my texturing skill doesn't match up to my modeling skills. I plan on really doing my research on properly texturing and completely re-doing my battlesuit.

- I'm aware that there aren't many complex things in my portfolio, the things you see are the only portfolio worthy things I've done. Once I re-texture my battlesuit I'm going to finish up my environment.

-Ha ha! You're not being rude at all. How can I get better If I don't receive critiques?

Thanks for the help so far guys.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Well, your works aren't bad at all. You'll just need to work more and make more complex models in order to impress the employers. :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Site looks good, I think you need to work on content. I think the few pieces you have really don't showcase marketable skill all that well.
    Triangle count: 8022
    Textures: One 2048 (body), one 1024(weapons)
    This could easily all fit on one 1024 sheet and still achieve the same textel density.

http://www.evanburrill.com/robot.html
    This doesn't even looked finished. There's a normal map on it but its not doing much of anything? The arms have very little detail but you're using a 2048 map?

Alien yelling. That's pretty much everyones first Zbrush Sculpt ever. If you're going to shoot for character artists positions you need to show some full body anatomy a long with human features. Aliens are like a side dish nice to see but not the main course.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Modelling and texturing is quite basic really, not bad but simple and as Vig, I mean Mark says it's not what you would expect to see in a game.
    You mentioned this: "Freelance Artist for Gameblend Studios" and using flash. Can you show any of this work?

Edit: not keen on the site, it's looks like cutouts as the text background doesn't match the page colour at the top there. Doesn't do anything to help presentation wise.
  • Burrill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ATCReDesign_shot1.jpg

ATCReDesign_shot2.jpg

Trying to improve my portfolio more. Here's an WIP environment I'm re-designing/re-doing from a past project I did in school.

It's going to be a futuristic Air Traffic Control Room.

The shots are from UDK, and hopefully more are to come.
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    good luck with your new environment! I'm currently working on one as well. The key is to work hard, learn and do your absolute best.
  • Burrill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty, updated the portfolio.

I'm fully aware I only have two main pieces of work, but I'd rather have those two alone than shoving in some of my crappy stuff.

eBurrillPortfolioClick2_zpsec24c4f7.jpg

What's changed from last time:

- Re-did my entire site
    - Got rid of the what I had before
    - Fixed up the Nerf gun
    - Added a projects page
    - Made the Tallgeese Mobile Suit
    - Added a sketchbook page
    - Temporarily got rid of the demoreel, seeing as how it doesn't seem necessary at the moment.

Let me know what you guys think!