Home General Discussion

Trion Worlds Redwood City Artists

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
Hey everyone from Trion reading this. I have a question or two for you. Where do the majority of the employees, who work there live at and if people commute what is the average distance? Also has anyone lived in Orange County or So Cal is so how does it compare? Also how do you enjoy the area up there?

Replies

• Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Rever, Can I call you rever? I'm so type-lazy :p

Most people I have met at work seem to live in or around Redwood City and San Mateo. Those who like the city live close to San Francisco city and make the longer commute into work every day. One person I know used to commute via public transport and told me it roughly took 1.5 to 2 hours to get from San Francisco city into work.
    As for Me and Troy, we live a 10 minute walk from the office. Its helpful for us because we don't have any kind of personal transport, so everything is in walking distance. Restaurants, groceries, medical, gyms and pharmacy.
    Redwood city is pretty nice, and redwood shores even more so. The building sits at the back of EA and can take advantage of the large gardens on the block.

Rent is a bit more pricey in Redwood shores, but there are cheaper places you can find on craigslist or google maps but would require a possibly longer commute into work.

We moved here from Australia and it was an easy transition. I hope this info helps you somewhat. Feel free to ask anything else on your mind about this kind of stuff :)
  • Reverenddevil
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Anuxi, ya call me whatever I dont mind. As far as rent goes what are the prices like around there? Also do you like the area up there coming from Australia? Thanks.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not a party animal so I like the quiet surroundings that redwood shores has to offer. Easy walk to shops, work and amenities, quiet and safe feeling. It's not that much different than Brisbane suburbs. There is even buses that go up redwood shores parkway. Though I have never taken any.
    When we were looking this time last year prices were in the mid to high 2000's with many going over 3k. This is per month. We had a look at other places for less than 2k which were more around San Mateo but would have required us to get a licence, purchase a car or bike and all that, which was too much hassle for us when we arrived.
  • haikai
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    My commute is about 10-15 minutes from Foster City which is the adjacent peninsula to Redwood Shores. Like Redwood Shores this can be a pricey place ranging from about 1400/month for a studio and up. I think rent is cheaper across the freeway in San Mateo proper and the surrounding areas, and I've seen some nicer deals there.

I've visited Southern Cali- the Bay area isn't as warm and it can get pretty breezy near the water. Still, it's sunny more often than not where we are (which is a revelation after having lived in the Seattle area the past few years), and there seems to be some nice scenery around here. I heard it can get cold and wet in the winter, but apparently it's rather short... I just moved here a few weeks ago. :poly136:

Like Anux, I'm not one for night life, but if that's what you're looking for then maybe the San Mateo area would be nice if you want to stay close to work. And of course San Fran is probably going to be the best if you're willing to live with that kind of commute.

Are you going to be joining us soon? If so, good luck finding a place!
  • Reverenddevil
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks Anuxi and haikai, I appreciate the info. I am flying up there this Wednesday for an interview so i am trying to get a bunch of info together. Take care guys and I will probably be talking with you sometime Wednesday. Ya, my wife and I are not party animals either. We like quiet and I wouldn't want a long commute. Damn 1400 for a studio, that is brutal. Damien.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohhhh Sweet! Good luck in the interview and have fun :)
  • Reverenddevil
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Anuxi, I will.. Take care.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Commute distance by car from SF is doable and plenty of people do, it's only 20 so miles. Just depends where you are in the City. Of course the further North you are the longer it will take. Used to take me 25 mins from Potrero hill. I miss living in SF personally, but Belmont suits me fine now that I spend more time taking my kid to the park than I do frequenting bars.

Belmont, San Carlos, San Mateo, Redwood city, Foster City and San Francisco are the cities that most people tend to live in. But people come from the south too, like San Jose (a smidgen warmer. One of the weirdest things about the bay area to me are the micro climates).

The *immediate* area of Redwood shores and San Carlos is a fair bit more expensive rent wise, but If you're prepared to come from a short drive you can find 1-2 bed places for as low as 1400. Take a look on Craigslist.

I've lived in LA, Nor Cal has a different feel entirely. Better or worse is subjective, just different. There are areas of oustanding natural beauty nearby though, so for that reason I'd recommend a car. We usually make a point to get out at weekends to get somewhere, and there's plenty to see and do that isn't terribly far. Traffic can be a pain, but it's not nearly as bad as Southern California in my experience.
  • Reverenddevil
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Daz, thanks for all the info. Ya my wife and like taking our daughter to different places and bars are not on our priority list at all. Good to hear about the traffic, that it is better than here. Although in OC it isnt as bad as LA but it can still get bad at times. Ya, the weather would take some getting used to up there, especially during the winter months.. Thanks everyone for your info, and Daz I assume that I will be doing a majority of my interview with you tomorrow?