Home Technical Talk

Anyone use their monitors in a vertical position?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
I decided to shift my dell monitor around and test it out in a 'tall' vertical position. I think this would easily work much better for character sculpting however the viewing angle seems really crap once the monitor is physically rotated. I can close one eye at a time and see different value intensity's which, when viewed with both eyes leaves an off putting glare/visibility problem that I am simply not happy with.

So has anyone got a setup with vertical monitors ? recommendations on any models that have better viewing angles support ?

Replies

• timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    Is your monitor a IPS monitor? If not then I suggest you look into those, they have a much wider viewing angle and would probably work well for this sort of thing. I use dual "NEC EA231WMi" monitors and I am very happy with them. I just tried out one of them in vertical and it performs quite well.
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    I used to work with a designer who had his screen vertical for purposes of not scrolling down a large menu for minutes lol
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    I have a [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/UltraSharp-2009W-20-inch-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B002DKB92I[/ame]

timwiese, define 'quite well', I am want a vertical viewing range to be a solid as the standard landscape orientation. Anything less is just going to be annoying. ;)
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    I used to turn my monitor vertically to read comics, but I always put it back when I was done. I say try it out for a day or two, couldn't hurt.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah, on the plus side it gives a loooooot of room to work with, but I always end up noticing some sort of fuzziness and/or lag, probably caused by the video card. It's a bit of a shame, because in terms of real estate it really is amazing.

Interestingly, the old Motion Computing tablet PC I have has this built in (hit a button to tilt 90 degrees) and on that device it is flawless. But a Cintiq on a modern desktop PC with a Nvidia card seems to cause issues.

Let us know what you find!!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    My texture artist at work dose the whole vertical monitor for his main screen and a regular one for his second monitor. He prefers to use a tablet over a cintiq though.
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just bought a Dell U2311H - one of the cheapest IPS panels that I have seen and lovely so far. Shall be getting another to mount vertically once my second monitor dies :D
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've tried doing this at work when working in Maxscript and C#. However, I tried it both with cheaper TN panels and with more expensive 24" IPS panels, and I couldn't stand all the shifting in colors, was causing me to feel a little ill.

I'll probably try it again, see if I can tweak it enough to find a good "spot," and then there will be less scrolling in Max and Visual Studio.
    :)
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I tried it a few months ago, did not like it since most apps are not set for that res.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I just put my secondary 30" in portrait and its pretty kickass for web viewing. I can fit this whole thread on one page!
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    My friend is a programmer and shifting in a vertical position is great because he can see more line codes! :)
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    i've been using both my monitors like this for years. i have two old dell ultra sharps. i've never noticed any problems except the fact that some apps don't support it such as xnormal(least it didn't a couple years ago). i just find it better for both web page reading and drawing/modeling characters. plus, it forces you to maximize your keyboard shortcuts so you can take full advantage of the screen space.....therefore speeding up your workflow by default. ha.

i have NOT noticed any visual negatives....however, i'm so used to it....maybe my eyes can't see them.