Home General Discussion

Survey :: Damageable Artefact

Hi,

For the past few months i have been creating a conceptual damage system for Unreal engine using materials transitions as its foundation.

To go along with this i have create two characters that have been used to show the damage system.

At this point i need to gather feedback on how well the characters have been created as well as how well the damage system has been implemented along with its overall effectiveness.

Below is a link to the survey, however before it is carried out please take the time to look through the images/videos provided as they are the basis for which this survey has been created.

If you wish to provide any additional feedback you are more than welcome to do so here.

Thank you for taking the time to have a look.

Gunslinger:

44.jpg

33.jpg

55.jpg

22.jpg

11-1.jpg

Video for GunSlinger:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlq2oDQ8TV4[/ame]

Soldier:

11.jpg

71.jpg

21.jpg

31.jpg

61.jpg

51.jpg

41.jpg

81.jpg

Video for Soldier:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS83CU2AUZI&feature=related[/ame]

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Survey'd.

I was confused by the progression in the gunslinger. At first it looked like blood splatter, but then the clothes begin to dissipate with no good indication of why (attacked by acid?) Why does the shirt go, but not the coat? Same goes with the pants. Right now it just looks like a player is being rewarded with seeing a girl naked and superficially damaged for attacking her.

Soldier: Pretty much the same thoughts here, but I like the gore layers, but they don't add a whole lot of depth.

Are you planning on adding more to this system? Aside from Hit=Red, there's really a lot that goes on that makes trauma look like trauma, going too far under that bar tends to look cartoonish. I'd work on adding a bit of cohesion to the wounds and how layers are peeled away. If soldier got slashed across the chest with a combat knife, the shirt and skin would be cut together, yes?

I was pretty impressed with how gore was done in Left 4 Dead 2, you may want to look into that if you haven't already.
  • AliasOpilo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your reply you make a lot of good points.
    Atm the whole system is really just a concept, i though it was necessary to get some feedback before i really start getting into this.

What you said about the Gunslinger is pretty much right, went about having the character become more naked the more she became damage. Its not necessary something that is going to be implemented, it was just a way of showing it working in a slightly different way.

The main issue i have is im not a coder, all of this is done up until the point where it can be coding in as a mechanic.

Other areas id like to build upon would be to have specific damageable areas. So shoot the hand it only affect the hand instead of say the chest.

I appreciate your comments, like i said its still really early stages but hopefully the survey/feedback will suggest whether or not it should be continued and in what direction.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Not sure if you'v seen this, worth a look over for what your tackling. Good luck!
    http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications/2010/gdc2010_vlachos_l4d2wounds.pdf
  • AliasOpilo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks TrevorJ. Ye iv already seen that iv even talked to one of the guys who uses this system over at EA. The main thing he pointed out was that it essentially culls the geometry and then generates a textured cap where the whole has been created. He said that this is all done through coding and is a method that reduces the reliance/constant back and forth that happens when new art assets are needed (more limbs/gibs).

I really like the idea, but i dont currently have the skills to carry out such a method on my own.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool..
    I think splatterhouse did something similar?

splatterhouse.jpg
  • AliasOpilo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you to those who have completed the survey. As it stands it is still open for people to get involved.
  • SpykDaBarstud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there.

Nice effort, both characters look to be coming along well. The damage system on the soldier works nicely, and will look great after a few tweaks.

The sculpting on the soldier could do with being more asymmetrical. A few scars and blemishes, veins, etc. will definitely help with that.
    The trousers could do with pockets, lanyard rings and seams adding appropriately and the creases around the groin and knees don't sit quite right.
    The helmet looks as though it should be one of the old metal ones, but it doesn't have the correct surface texture.
    The vest seems a little blank and could use some texturing and stitching added.

The damage system could do with being in more specific areas to start with, showing holes appearing in localized points before becoming totally destroyed to the bone.
    The colour of the bones seems a little too yellow in places, especially around the joints, wear and tear on these points leave them looking very white.

The female character has a few issues with sculpt.
    The sternum sits a little low beneath the ribs, making it look unattached.
    The brow seems too rigid, females have a much smoother brow than males.
    Her jeans look very baggy, as though they don't fit.
    The dust-covers could use laces down the sides and tears here an there.
    The pistol in her left hand needs more texture across the grip. Some kind of wood -grain effect.
    Her hat seems a little misshapen, the back of it should end more abruptly and swoop at a steeper angle.
    The hair seemed to start at the back of her head, as though she were balding.
    It seemed as though you were undecided as to how you wanted her damage system to work. It looked as though you were thinking of making her invincible and just the clothes taking damage (a good system, for various reasons lol) but then thought this may be too much. I would suggest making it a little more focused one way or the other.
    On a whole, very impressive work so far. With extra details, such as dog-tags on the soldier and holsters on the gunslinger, these will be very nice characters.
    Good job!
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Done, but just wondering, how does the gunslingers bra stay on?
  • AliasOpilo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @TortillaChips Thanks dude. The bra works like a conventional one... i has straps that go over the shoulders and around to the back.
  • AliasOpilo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The survey is now closed. But feel free to post any comments/feedback you have.