Home General Discussion

Sculpting Too Soon, A Bad Thing?

LMP
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
LMP polycounter lvl 13
I was wondering what your opinions are.

I have been told that jumping too soon into sculpting programs such as Zbrush and Mudbox, before one has a strong understanding of modeling and high poly modeling in a core program such as Maya, Max, Softimage XSI, Modo... anything, is detrimental to one's development as a 3D artist.

What are your views on this?

Replies

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    It's not going to hurt you any more than hopping to any other program too soon, basically not at all, all you do is put your artistic training to the side.

The most important is fundamental skills in art, that stuff takes time, the rest is tools and understanding the technical side of game art.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    I would recommend learning a major application first and even possibly doing some box or edge modelling just to get yourself used to the tools. Most sculpting applications can't do everything, so to be comfortable going back and forth between applications is extremely valuable.
  • nullfed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nullfed polycounter lvl 9
    I was helping a friend of mine get into 3d a while ago from scratch and after some slow progress with simple low poly modelling in Maya, I showed her zbrush and it helped to build confidence as it removed a lot of the more dry technical stuff that she was getting frustrated with when working in Maya.
    After a coulpe of days, she was following tutorials and doing things like retopology which really helped her to grasp some of the low poly modelling that was difficult at the start.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    nullfed wrote: »
    I was helping a friend of mine get into 3d a while ago from scratch and after some slow progress with simple low poly modelling in Maya, I showed her zbrush and it helped to build confidence as it removed a lot of the more dry technical stuff that she was getting frustrated with when working in Maya.
    After a coulpe of days, she was following tutorials and doing things like retopology which really helped her to grasp some of the low poly modelling that was difficult at the start.
    Had almost the exact same thing happen to a few people I know. I don't think it's detrimental in the least. It doesn't directly contribute to better modeling, but for many people it seems to be that extra bit of motivation they need for the whole process.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Sculpting is really divorced from modelling. They are two totally different things(they arent but they are). You can create basemeshes and whatever in other programs but when you sculpt your not modelling anymore. Its fluid its fast, its fun, its a whole different skillset.

Learning it whenever will be no detriment.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    It only tends to be subd too early that has a bad effect on peeps modelling, not understanding correct topology & meshflow beforehand.

Where as sculpting is more closely related to 2d, I've seen loads of concept artists with no 3d experience jump straight into zbrush like a fish to water and produce some quality stuff.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    As always I'd say... pick what interests you the most. This is a very key concept. Don't ever do anything you don't want to do unless it's a means to an end (i.e. you end up doing something you want to do) OR you get paid for it.

This isn't some philosophical nonsense. If you are interested in sculpting there's no reason to not start with it. Even if you are aiming to become an artist who can do everything eventually you are going to have to start somewhere. There is no correct path I'd say.. although there may wrong paths such as driving a car instead of sculpting... someone is going to prove me wrong and tell me about some amazing car driving experience that made them awesome artists :D
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think it will have any negative effects but ceebee has a valid point too. Being able to model some parts in subD and importing into ZBrush/Mudbox multiplies your efficiency. On the other hand, there are people who make nice hard surface work in ZBrush too. I think you should give every possible path a try. You'll lose some hours in the worst scenario which can save you days of work in the future :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i kinda see it like this:
    as in many other practices. there are two forms, theory and practical. while all forms of modeling are certainly "practical" in that they give you direct, instant feedback of your effort. Sculpting is surely more of a practical application of the theory you're learning. Sculpting is the practical side of learning proper anatomy, form etc.

on the flip side, i see sub-d modeling a "theory" practice. as it's far more rigid in its restrictions.

but that's just me.
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    It only tends to be subd too early that has a bad effect on peeps modelling, not understanding correct topology & meshflow beforehand.

Interestingly, I don't find this to be the case anymore. It used to be in zbrush if you subdivided too much too early, you'd end up with blobby looking sloppy sculpts.

With the addition of clay brushes and trim brushes, I find that I can subdivide like mad once I have an extremely basic shape, use clay brush / trim dynamic and basically ignore topology completely.

That's not to say that there isn't reason to step up slowly, but I kinda like the workflow of just blocking our proportions with an extremely simple mesh, then subdividing a bunch and blocking out planes with trim/clay brushes. It's a lot more like sculpting with clay to me, and is very enjoyable.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i think he meant subd in terms of the oldschool subd style. creating hard edges using control cages etc.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah I meant oldschool subd, hardsurface in max/maya etc. in an unconnected to sculpting app way.

You can always Reto or start from scratch in zbrush.