Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Epsilon -- Student Senior Thesis

Hey guys this is our Senior Thesis which was worked on over the course of 8 months at Ringling College of Art and Design. We are apart of the Game Art and Design major and we were tasked to create a short cinematic trailer showcasing a unique world of our own.

We learned a great deal from this project and we would like to show you all what we came up with!

The entire short is rendered in UDK (Unreal Development Kit).

http://vimeo.com/22502890?ab

2djqeyw.jpg

This was created by:

Cody Bellimer (GodfishB16) -- cbellime@c.ringling.edu -- http://webspace.ringling.edu/~cbellime
Christian Davis (cdavisrun) -- cdavis@c.ringling.edu -- http://www.christiandavisart.com
Jeremy Griffith (jarm) -- jgriffi1@c.ringling.edu -- http://www.jeremydgriffith.com
Matthew Heyman (skayne) -- mheyman89@gmail.com -- www.matthewheyman.com

Replies

• samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome trailer guys! Jobs well done. One question though, in the beginning of the shot you guys had a waterfall in your scene. Do you know of any online tutorial for waterfalls? I checked UDN, but I didn't see one within the particle effects area.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice work
  • BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome stuff!
  • IdiotDrummerGuy
    very nice job guys, well done!
  • dregoloth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very good. Now make it into a game!
    Loved the trailer and the concept.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    This is very cool work. I especially enjoyed the lava flow.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome trailer you guys.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Good stuff guys. I liked the character.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Wicked trailer, good stuff mans!
  • Callesw
  • wisebrownmonkey
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Awww yeah, super sweet stuff! Lovely environments and shader work! :D
  • Arkadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkadius polycounter lvl 13
    I really liked it! I will say after the character runs away the trailer should have ended, the beginning was the most polished and had an air of mystery, made me want to play the "game".
  • Cheese_Shinobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheese_Shinobi polycounter lvl 9
    Wow, A+ guys! You really nailed the atmosphere! Good work!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    definitely was not expecting something so good from a senior project. well done! id say the two weakest things were the camera movements at times, and the animation. in parts it was good, but in parts it was stiff. the environment was spot on though. well done!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    awesome job. i really like the character
  • LoboHotPants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoboHotPants polycounter lvl 17
    You Ringling guys are always impressive. Great work on your thesis.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Nice job, there's a nice mood, especially at the big door place, some stuf that might have been polished if you guys had more time maybe, like tiling water in the travelling camera shot, and details. I'm sure if I have had more time, my thesis project would have been more polished, too.

Overall it looks sweet, I'm sure it'll go well for all of you.
  • achillesian
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Brilliant. Great work you guys
  • POFFINGTON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
  • Jarm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the comments and critiques, everyone!
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice trailer you have there :D
  • cdavisrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, we are currently working on our process pages and I thought that I would share with you guys some of the environment process for the areas that primarily worked on.

I would love any feedback or critique you guys might have. Always wanting to learn and grow.

Most of the architecture was done by me and the design was a collaboration via critique. On the first page the foreground architecture was done by Matthew Heyman and the skeletons were done by me. Also the skybox in the earlier shots are property of Epic games.

In the second shot the foliage was done by Matthew Heyman and Jeremy Griffith along with the waterfalls.

ehhqja.jpg

313m7tg.jpg
  • cdavisrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also I wanted to express my gratitude for all the great comments out there, its really good stuff to hear!

@ParoXum: It's really great to hear that from the Beam-em-up winner. I have to admit that you were a pretty big inspiration to our project and wanted to say thank you. And yeaaa there are alottt of stuff we would like to sweeten up and a lot of things got rushed. We have tons of stuff that we designed that we wanted to implement but had to get cut. Hopefully one day we could continue on the project and show all that we wanted.
  • cdavisrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh! also for kicks and giggles this was the initial concept art that I drew out for the entrance shot when we first developed the idea. It definitely came along way...

2nlqt6f.jpg
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    let me start this by saying that each of your indivdual portfolios is very strong and I think you guys will probably find a job real soon, which is great.

some criticism though, without raining on your parade, to help you guys become even better:

the cut is horrible. it sounds like the music was first and the footage had to fill.
    the voice acting is nosy. don't know if that's intentional, but I'd have prefered a clearer voice that speaks more ahead.
    the cameras all seem to use FOV 60 or something crazy high. try doing some of these shots with FOV 10 and utilize Depth of Field.
    the color grading is non existant? To me the different environments look too different, mainly due to the hue .
    the story was kind of weird and didn't make any sense, i'd say it's the wrong scenes for a trailer. felt like two or three cutscenes directly after another.
    the animation was sometimes not so good, but the bigger offender: in parts completely missing. Doing just a very small anticipating move, an idle or anything like that would have saved these shots.

to not end this post like this, i'll point out a few things that I really liked:
    The animation on the skeleton at the moment the diamond is taken.
    The shot in the thread opening (in the trailer 1:31).
    the character design for your protagonist and the stone golem
    the scene with the volcano had a great sense of depth and could be a cool concept for a God of War or Uncharted kind of level, where you have to fight over the bridge and into the temple.
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    that was the best senior project I've ever seen. really well done guys!
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wait, senior project means that this is highschool? (like a-levels?)
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    e-freak wrote: »
    wait, senior project means that this is highschool? (like a-levels?)

nah. im pretty sure it was a senior college project. :poly124:
  • Grey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well done guys, i really enjoyed that. A lot of hard work made that look great! Congrats
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz wrote: »
    nah. im pretty sure it was a senior college project. :poly124:
    I've no clue how the us edu system works in detail (what is senior college and what is bachelors then?). would be interested in getting to know what the details are here.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    afaik in most cases, college = uni, so this would be on par with a final year university project(?)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    your breakdowns look like they have different camera angles. set up a camera, lock it and use it for every screen shot
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    e-freak wrote: »
    I've no clue how the us edu system works in detail (what is senior college and what is bachelors then?). would be interested in getting to know what the details are here.

Don't quote me on this but to my basic understanding. You have your typical 4 years of high school, then you can go off to a college for 2 - 4 years.

The 4th year being the "senior" year. 3rd being "junior" etc.
  • cdavisrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @e-freak: Hey man thanks for your critique and words. Means a lot, and the critique is helpful. I hope I do find a job O___o.

To reply to some of your crits. While developing we had one idea for the film and came up with some thumbnails and an animatic. We got one song that we thought was going in the right direction and our plan was to actually hire a composer to do the film....that fell through.

The voice acting was actually done by an actor hired from the school to do voice work for other student films and we couldn't get the voice we really wanted so we edited it in a program. Through critique people didn't mind it so we stuck with it.

We Totally agree with you on the FOV and DOF critique. It is definitely something we are going to go back to and fixing, especially with the new UDK update.

The narration I can see as still be pretty hard to "read" but we went through tons of iterations and the final one seemed to get the most points of our story across. We still have tons and tons of back story that was created but never got told. Sorry I didn't read for you :/

And thank you for your words! :D

I would be more than happy to answer any and all questions btw.

I cant speak for all colleges or schools as they vary drastically throughout the US, but I can tell you about Ringling College of Art and Design. It takes 4 years of classes to graduate and in your "Senior Year" most students typically do a senior project. In the Computer Animation department it is usually a 1-2 min. short film focusing on character animation, and in game art (we are the first graduating class) it was to make a game trailer focusing on environments.

@grey: Thanks man :D

@slipsius: yeaaa that would have been ideal, problem was we initially tried tying the first environment with the second in case we could make it playable but that caused to many problems, like lighting and bake times, so we decided to split it up and I had to transfer my environment to a new scene, thus losing my exact camera angle. Then I had some nasty problems with the volcano and again had to transfer my files. All in all, lesson learned, don't get problems.
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    pretty damn cool, i'd loose a few of those additional skeletons though, they kinda take away from the environments. also would be cool to have a few more sound effects atleast towards the end with the build up. other then that though it looks great, good work
  • percydaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really great stuff you guys have there. If I had a crit, and I guess its minor, its the glow on the skeletons. Bone wouldn't get that kind of glint/glow from the sun. Its like the first thing I saw as the movie started and it kinda bugged me throughout. It's kind of a UDK pet peeve of mine. They make it tough to get it right. Oh I loved the narrator. He was awesome. He really came through with how upsetting their situation was. I almost thought he was gonna choke up a couple times. I nearly choked up in anticipation.

But like I said, its a minor crit on a really great piece of work.