Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Building up an environment portfolio

Hi polycounters

I will start posting my props in this thread that will eventually make up an environment piece for my portfolio. I will start with the very basic and then build up to more advanced props to make up the scene.

For today I have... [drumrolls] a crate!
Please critique my textures, wires, unwraps and anything else you can think of for a production type of environment.

please don't mind the rocks, they will be polished at a later stage

Thanks for looking :)

crate01.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Replies

• ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    this look great start .. did you make a hipoly version for that for baking or just make normal map from PS ? your texture look fine , and you can chek out some philipk material tutorial :D they are very helpful if you are going to make more material work .. and use some normal map blending will make your piece look more COOL ..

http://www.philipk.net/tutorials/materials/stoneconcrete/stoneconcrete.html
    http://www.philipk.net/tutorials/materials/tilesold/tilesold.html

:D good luck dud
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Grats on starting up your folio and putting something up for critique.

I just want to offer up a more efficient alternative to using UV space for making a crate. there are lots of ways to do it and these two are not the end all of all crate textures.

I think instead of mapping everything uniquely like you have, you can go a tiled route. Crates usually don't use a texture size higher than 512 and these two methods help to maximize UV space.

Both of my examples are using tilable textures. #1 is quick and dirty, #2 is a little more unique. they're basically just mapped onto your box and then use the same texture to create the floating planks. You can also use method #2 to create 4 sides to increase uniqueness. So you would have 4 times of method #2 mapped onto a 512 square. So, say you want a side with a logo, or a side with a broken part to it. The benefit of method #1 is that since its a plain tiled plank texture, it can also be used elsewhere in a environment

Hope this helps, and good luck with your folio!

crate01.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    great diffuse! bad normal.
  • 3DVlad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Ayoub, PhilipK has some amazing tutorials on his site, definitely will come in useful this project. For normals I created a height map in photoshop, then took it to crazy bump, and tweaked the settings to get the best look... btw what do you mean by normal map blending? Is that like overlaying different normal textures in photoshop to give more surface detail?

Thanks for the tips Alex, you are right having every side unique for a crate doesn't really make sense. I didnt want to tile all 4 sides though because the grime and rust on top would look different then on the sides. I did the next best thing and tiled 2 sides on top of each other and the top seperate, so the looking at the crate it looks unique, but the back is the same as the front. (oh btw I am not just starting up my folio I am just adding to it, and taking out older stuff. I think last time I didnt make a proper demo for environment artist, it was mostly hard surface stuff you can see my old demo here: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTFYOaA2zrQ[/ame]
    also made this around new years
    thehideout.jpg
    By myway07 at 2011-03-08

@rooster Would you mind elaborating on what is wrong with my normal please?

Anyways after some critiques changed the crate, and added in barrel. Also these are two props that I will be texturing next, first the canon then the treasure chest, please tell me if you guys can think of ways to improve the models or the unwraps so that I wouldn't have to texture it twice like I did for the crate =).

crateandbarrel.jpg
    By myway07 at 2011-03-29

chestcannon.jpg
    By myway07 at 2011-03-29
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes , and your old demoreel is ROCK man :) i'm looking forward to see a new one , ( if you going to make it ) . your new props look great , you have to weld some vertex they are on the top and align some edge ! are you using textools or any tools to unwrap your model ?.. keep it up :)
  • 3DVlad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man =) No I just use standard max 2011 kit, I tried using textools in the past, didn't really like it that much, and it would crash my max once in a while.
  • 3DVlad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Textured the Cannon, Changed the unwrap on a cannon as per someone's advice to ovarlap UVs in some places and maximize the use of texture space.

I tried to overlap in places where I think wear would be the same, so that I can overlap texture to get maximum space while at the same time be able to get localized detail.

Next I will be texturing the treasure chest and after that, a lamp post (wires and unwrap below)

canonoj.jpg
    By myway07 at 2011-03-31

lampwires.jpg
    By myway07 at 2011-03-31
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Your textures are rather noisy with high frequency detail right now. Be careful not to take too much from photo sources and let some of the larger shapes shine through.
  • 3DVlad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback fearian, I think you are right I went a bit heavy-handed on the grunge in this one. I toned it down, and took of some so I hope the textures look better now. I also highlighted some edges and painted in subtle shadows in places to give the cannon more shape. Also Added in the treasure chest. The shadows might be a tad strong right now, but I think its the lighting which I will be working on at a later stage. Let me know what you guys think.

Also I have a question about the rock wall (screenshot below). It consists of two sections basically, top and bottom, the top section is seen both inside and out so the inside is basically a clone of the outside, the bottom secion has outside only as it is covered by a cliff inside. Looking at my unwrap, is there a better way to plot my UVs? i did it this way because I wore off the edges in Zbrush, so its pretty much unique all around (well if you dont count the fact that its mirrored inside out and all around the wall.) Any other feedback is also welcome =)

canonu.jpg
    By myway07 at 2011-04-02

treasurechest.jpg
    By myway07 at 2011-04-02

rockwallm.jpg
    By myway07 at 2011-04-02
  • 3DVlad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:

I got the platform done and textured the stone. I still need to do the cliff, light the scene and polish it a bit more, so I am hoping sometime next week to have it finished, wanted to post progress shot to see what you guys have to say.

towera.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    needs more fog

make it a bit more during night time and use that lamp to brighten the top of the post
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    Your textures are definitely improving! There's still some more you can do though. Right now what you have isn't very convincing. On the cannon, the rust spots aren't where they would appear -- metal tends to rust in very predictable ways. It's most common where water collects or where damage has happened (either by dropping/bumping/scraping or by being worn down by oils from people's hands over time). While it looks like you've got a lot of rust in the same places you've got scratches, I'm not generally sold on why those spots have scratches. I don't think there'd be a lot halfway up a cannon that's on a wheeled cart, for example. The only other spot I see that could really be an issue is the back, as it looks like the major rust is on one side and a bit on the top.

Your stone and wood are suffering a similar problem -- they look as if they're coming from a damp climate, but the water damage is too high on the wood and too frequent on the stones. With wood, if it's vertical, you tend to get more damage at the bottom as the water succumbs to gravity. With the stones, it looks like you're going for some slight moss, but if that's the case you've got it on too many of them. Moss tends to congregate around one spot and grow in pretty thickly before it spreads. Do a Google image search for something like "mossy stone wall" if you need some reference there. Also, in the last shot you posted it looks like it's growing from the bottom up on some of the stones. Hope that helps!
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Vlad, this tower environment is really coming together, got a few crits for ya that'll hopefully help it come together even betta :)

- Use less black in your textures. Right now you're getting a lot of black in the scene overall, even though it's on top of a tower outside, where there's light coming from almost every direction. Save the total black for only the most extreme dark details in your textures, let unreal's lighting do more of the work.

- Add more subtle colors to your textures. This can be as simple as grabbing a random dirty/grungy texture from cgtextures, putting it on a layer in photoshop, saturating the shit out of it and setting it to soft light at a low opacity. It seems pretty arbitrary, but trust me, a tiny little bit of red/green/blue variation in your textures goes a looong way, and using a photo will keep the distribution interesting.

- Jack up the contrast on the metal in your spec maps, and use a different noise pattern than the diffuse uses. You can pretty much use the same technique I described for adding color variation. Just snag an interesting metal photo off cgtextures or something and lay it over the metal areas of the spec. Having details that only show up when the light hits them will make it read a lot more like metal.

- Play with the stone block texture to reduce the mirroring on the ends of the exposed blocks, it's pretty noticeable.

- Take the moss streaks off the stones that have their top exposed. The moss would only grow in the cracks between blocks, the top blocks would be cleaned by rain and constant use by soldiers leaning on them etc.

- The railing rope looks pretty good, but the sagging strand at the top of the stairs needs another edge loop on the largest sag to round it off. Also, along the stairs, the rope tension is causing the ties where they meet the posts to pull up on the low end, but the other ends sticks straight out from the post, should pull those things down to go with the saggy shape the rest of the rope has.

Hope that helps! Cheers!
  • 3DVlad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for the amazing detailed critique guys, it really helped me out. I decided to go with a bit heavier moss to give more color variation, and you are right Iconoplast silly me made it grow from the bottom because i thought for some reason moss it needed cool moist places but after looking at references I realized it reaches for the sun and grows on top first.
    Anyways I lit the scene and present you with pretty much the final version, but still let me know if you guys can see anything is off and I may still fix stuff up, but for now I consider it pretty much done.

lightingq.jpg
    By myway07 at 2011-04-16

lighting2.jpg
    By myway07 at 2011-04-16

lighting3.jpg
    By myway07 at 2011-04-16

Next Ill be doing a speed challenge, going for something like a standard brick building because looking at enviro artist portfolios made me realize that this type of stuff is good to have to show off modular building and fast paced work-flow.
  • TheCrimsonKing
    The brightest part of your scene should not be the empty center. Light up your props more so I can see all the work you put into them. Also, try to get contact shadows working with your props so they look more grounded in the scene (this comment also applies to the phone/desk) and if this is in UDK please turn off the default AO.
  • 3DVlad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback Crimson, you are right i think I should brighten up my props a bit and dim the floor, they mainly got dark because I was trying to rely on my dominant light mostly for the lighting, and of course as the props are under the roof they got a bit dark. Ill have to throw around some point lights to have my props recieve better lighting and dim my dom light and static mesh lighting to have more control. As for the contact shadows, I can't paint those in since most of my textures have overlapping UVs so I have to rely on lightmap and AO for those... On the table though I will, even though the AO gave me some shadows, now that you mention it it looks kind of weak. Thanks again.
  • 3DVlad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have changed the lighting a bit so that the assets could be seen better, also added a day lighting for the same reason. Wondering how I should be presenting individual assets UDK, or Xoliul shader, or Marmoset toolkit. So far leaning towards Xoliul, comparisons below, I would be glad to hear opinions. Also added that speed piece (below) it took roughly a week. Any input is welcome. Thanks for looking =)

finaluc.jpg
    By myway07 at 2011-04-26

final2tl.jpg
    By myway07 at 2011-04-26

finalday1s.jpg
    By myway07 at 2011-04-26

finalday2.jpg
    By myway07 at 2011-04-26

enginecomparison.jpg
    By myway07 at 2011-04-26

modbuilding1.jpg
    By myway07 at 2011-04-25

modbuilding2.jpg
    By myway07 at 2011-04-25

modbuilding3.jpg
    By myway07 at 2011-04-25
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woooooooooooooow , man this is soo cool .. your night mode look so amazing ; and the last piece is great , you did a great job on texturing , for presentation i love xoliul one , :D good luck