Home General Discussion

Consoles Are the New Coin-Op

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    you wanna summarize so I don't have to listen to that absurdly annoying voice?
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    aesir wrote: »
    Hunks of plastic attached to your TV are going to go away just like arcade cabinets went away (mostly).
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    aesir wrote: »

At least he doesn't like the sound of his own voice.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Sounds like random chicken littling to me; honestly can't see gadgets replacing console home theaters in the foreseeable future. Guy needs to get his head out of his apps.

Also, coin-ops didn't go away in the east.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    Well I don't think his point was anyone would trade an iPad forr a home theater, if you had an iPad you would know you can already stream games and movies to your 1080p tv, from a device you can take anywhere, you can't play gears of war in a coffee shop. But I can play iPad games on my tv and use Bluetooth controllers, so the point of it just being limited to touch controls doesn't hold up. I think what he is saying is that portable device are getting faster and becoming more capable at a much faster rate than consoles, much like coin op machines were outpaced by consoles. So what it comes down to is that if there was a device you could fit in your pocket, stream content to any display and sound system at similar fidelity as a giant rack mount of equipment, at a similar price or even cheaper, then why wouldn't you?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    arshlevon wrote: »
    So what it comes down to is that if there was a device you could fit in your pocket, stream content to any display and sound system at similar fidelity as a giant rack mount of equipment, at a similar price or even cheaper, then why wouldn't you?

Because mobile device lifespans are shorter than PC graphics cards. I just bought a new G2 Phone last fall and it's successor is already coming out in the next few weeks. Game developers will not be able to push their product out fast enough to respond to new hardware or the ever shrinking user base of the previous generation. With consoles, at least we've got a good 5yrs of solid user base to work with. They're not jumping around buying other consoles, because there aren't any.

From a purely consumerist standpoint it would be awesome, I agree. But for software developers it would be a nightmare.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    new graphics cards and processors come out every single year, i don't see how that is different than new phones coming out every single year. and as a developer any software you created for the G2 i am almost certain will run on next version of that phone. i don't see how this any different than computers right now. there are still people making only 32 bit applications for computers when 64 bit has been round for almost 8 years. point being its not like shooting for what is currently available now is going to leave you with a product that doesn't work when you release it, unless you plan on a 15 year dev cycle.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    new graphics cards and processors come out every single year, i don't see how that is different than new phones coming out every single year.
    With handhelds it's much different. There are things in place on PC games to scale back as needed. When I build for a iOS device, I have to pick THIS AND ABOVE. Even though people still use 2nd and 1st gen devices, Apple locks down which ones can run what OS. You can buy an app that won't even run on your device (Droid or iOS). If I wanted a game to run on all Apple devices, I have to aim for the lowest common denominator, or build a version for certain groups (1st to 2nd gen, then 3g~3gs, and 4g/above). Crysis 2 can run on a 8800 GT and that card is almost 6 years old.

Try to think about all the phones and what has happened in the last YEAR in the mobile market let alone the last 6 years, and it's only going to get faster.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crysis 2 also shot for the lowest common denominator, the game dosent even use any DX11 features and DX11 cards have been out for 2 years, they didnt want console gamers to get all but hurt so gimped the PC version. i see no difference in gimping your ios game to run on 3g even though you could make something much fancier on ipad 2.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Well the angle I want to talk about is how would larger companies deal with not having a console to dev for (if it ever came down to no consoles). You have PC's where if you make your game, chances are it will run on a machine made in the last 3-5 years. But something like a mobile phone with a annual/bi-annual hardware revisions, not counting the number of different hardware configurations, just seems like a huge PITA.

The cost of a decent PC is now slightly above that of a console, and the average person doesn't need bleeding edge graphics to have fun on mobile. Could it be the beginning of the end? Or is this like the reset of the Matrix?
    redblue_pill.jpg

Indie devs are already in position to capitalize on the situation, it's the larger companies who would struggle. I could be wrong, but it's how it seems to me.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Why is it that one technology always has to replace another? It's as though these studies never consider them coexisting. I want simple games on my mobile devices, to be entertained when I'm waiting/bored somewhere. When I'm home, I want to fire up a game on my TV, with better visibility and better controls.

Here's a thought, portable devices have been around since the 70s, yet consoles still appeared, and grew. Look at the number of DS sales, yet stores had problems keeping the Wii in stock, despite them having very similar game types.

I for one don't feel that Angry Birds replaces my desire to play Call of Duty.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    crysis 2 also shot for the lowest common denominator, the game dosent even use any DX11 features and DX11 cards have been out for 2 years, they didnt want console gamers to get all but hurt so gimped the PC version. i see no difference in gimping your ios game to run on 3g even though you could make something much fancier on ipad 2.

The unhappy throng exist in any fanbase beating their chests and the gnashing of their teeth...
    But
    I have never witnessed anything ( in any medium ) like the "thousands" of pages of incredulous dx11 fury going on in the crytek camps.

Hopefully for an appreciative fanbase that is catered to. There would be a better "difference" in the gimping dept..
    Better that'
    then having to follow the song and dance EA/crytek will be performing when the dx11 patch is delivered.

On the bright side... because of the gaf. I imagine that the goods will be spectacular fer it.

also...
    In such a future as presented.
    The phone would interface with the HiDef and then essentially "become" the console.
    A far cry from the Arcade death birthing the rise of the console phoenix, analogy.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I still get to make games? Yes? Ok cool... I hardly play them and I love making them so do whatever you want to the hardware so long as it doesn't keep me from doing what I love... as selfish as that may seem.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would rather take sitting at home with a comfy couch, big tv, and surround sound while being completely immersed in a gaming experience over playing some shitty, shallow cookie cutter mobile game any day.

Call me stubborn, but I really don't like the way games are transitioning over to the mobile market the way that they are. I feel like the days of complete and total immersion in a game world, and forming a love for that game world, are numbered.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I know VERY little about iOS devices, but that tech demo blew me away. From a consumer stand point, I'd LOVE something like that. Did I get him right, that you could play ALL the games, not just games that are available for one console? And honestly, while you're out bored waiting around for whatever, I'd MUCH rather play my current game obsession, like Dead Space 2, or Bulletstorm, or hardcore games like that, than be forced to play only casual games.

And like Arshlevon said a couple of times now, you can stream the games from that tiny screen onto your big ass tv, or projector in my case, in full resolution. What's not to love?

That's assuming I understand that tech demo, and the other comments so far, correctly, that is. I might be off by a country mile
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    I wouldn't want to be buffering my video game... network speeds and capacity need to grow exponentially before this would take off in America imo.

It seems pretty plausible so long as industry gets on board. But the way our internet providers have been strangling network capacity and trying to put caps back in place to wring our wallets; I think we're in for a fight in that arena.
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meh, never been a huge fan of the hand held market. If I am out, its usually for a decent reason and I wouldn't be wanting to play a video game. If I know I'll be waiting I either take my laptop for work or a book. You know, one of the original portable entertainment devices :p
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    So I still get to make games? Yes? Ok cool... I hardly play them and I love making them so do whatever you want to the hardware so long as it doesn't keep me from doing what I love... as selfish as that may seem.

QFT
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...or a book. You know, one of the original portable entertainment devices :p
    Yea my phone has those on it too... along with my music, funny videos of my daughter and ... polycount oh and a few time waster games.

They're great for just that, but I really hope that isn't the future of gaming. The mobile market is crying for some awesome story driven games and platformers but its stuck in "angry birds" knock off land, which itself is a sad knock off of free web games on lame game sites. You really can't afford to do much else in that market, unless its part of some larger project that decides it can flush a few bucks down the drain on a mobile app.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I highly doubt its the future of gaming. I don't know about you guys but i'd rather use mobile devices when im mobile and consoles and pc's when I am home. Not only that but I prefer a controller, keyboard, and mouse instead of touch screens.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    SeanEG wrote: »
    I would rather take sitting at home with a comfy couch, big tv, and surround sound while being completely immersed in a gaming experience over playing some shitty, shallow cookie cutter mobile game any day.

True. But dwell on this for a moment. The day is coming soon where you will be able to do exactly what you're describing, without having a home console hooked up to your big tv. Your big tv will have an wireless network card built into it, and an internet browser pre-installed. In a few short years, browser-based gaming, as well as streaming services like On-Live, are going to make high-end graphics possible in-browser. You will be able to point your browser at a web address and play Gears of War.

The video in question isn't advocating the "take-over" of iPhone apps. It's saying that the available technology that fuels the casual market is making far more rapid progress than the traditional console model. Inside of a few years, the difference between the two will be negligible. At that point even large-scale game development will transition to being web-based and hardware agnostic.

The single-console future is coming, and that console is the internet.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's saying that the available technology that fuels the casual market is making far more rapid progress than the traditional console model.
    Well... if MS had stuck to their original plan of replacing the console every 5-6 years he probably would be enjoying some advanced hardware right now. If sony and MS didn't have almost every developers nuts in a vice PC's would still be a dominate driving force, with games using the hardware to their fullest potential.

It was good that the industry got a wake up call and started to focus on quality of content not quality of bullshots. But... we hit the limit with hardware and it lacks some core functionality that just isn't there.

Instead of new hardware they released the kinect... and now we sit and wait. They bought up all he spare pudding that the big N threw around a few years ago repacked it and low and behold, people are still crying for new hardware with more features.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I agree with you on that. I guess all I'm concerned about is being able to relax at home and enjoy a game with substance. I don't really care what type of console is used to achieve that (although I'd prefer to use a controller of some sort). I'm just worried that casual, mobile games will become the main focus of the industry.

Having a service like Steam pre-installed on my tv and being able to play games from any platform would be fantastic. Controller styles would no longer be exclusive to their respective consoles, which could allow for some awesome customization. And it would also eliminate the never ending and always annoying console flame wars between fanboys.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Lol, almost like PC vs console discussion, now its just console vs mobil ;)
  • Huw_Dawson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The single-console future is coming, and that console is the internet.

Proivded, of course, that investment is made into the infrastructure and net neutrality remains in force. If either of those two do not happen, you can kiss this idea goodbye. And, of course, the big money that would facilitate infrastructure investment would be in the shutting down of the Berners-Lee model, and granting ISPs the ability to regulate your content.

I don't believe that the future that Extra Credits is wholly accurate, speaking from what we can guess at for 2021. Yes, we're looking at a stripping down of the number of gadgets people own. But it's not going to be down to our "phone" or tablet. Phoning or messaging people is just going to be one of the functions of our personal computer, which is de-facto what those devices will turn into. Some people will still own large boxes, of course - it seems unlikely that small-form and tower/console sized computers will somehow become equal in power, and dedicated work stations have their advantages in focus. But for the average user, that small device that they own - you know, the one which wirelessly communicates with their display, keyboard, mouse, Brain-Machine Interface device... that will be their PC. And their phone, watch, games console, internet connection...

That will be the reality which the Extra Credits of 2021 will be saying will soon go the way of the home computers and consoles. They'll be talking about the new opportunities of those Brain-Machine interfaces, the VR, the WetWare. It's an exciting decade to be a tech-head.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, I don't think anyone is saying that stand-alone boxes are going to go away entirely. After all, servers are themselves stand-alone boxes, you are going to need some amount of them somewhere.

Its just that the focus of the larger general audience is shifting. People no longer care about having a dedicated computing box, whether it be for e-Mail or Counterstrike. There will always be the hobbyists and tech enthusiasts who insist on having their home-built rigs. (like me) And there will always be a way for them to get their needed parts. But the general consumer is moving away from the idea of dedicated hardware for gaming. People are wanting to be able to access their entertainment fix from anywhere, on anything.