Home Technical Talk

[MAX] Middle seam closing.

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
First, don't worry I don't plan to make a thread about my maxscripts needs everyday :)

Now, I was working with a small model today and wanted to know if there was a way in maxscript to shut mirror center seam ?

I'm using align to x to make sure my selection is alright, and want to move it to x=0 (without changing the yz position).
The align thing is no brainer, but I can't get my head around making my selection move to x=0 without changing the other positions.

move command is expecting a "x y z" argument while I can only provide x.

Is there a way to do that ?

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I got it, I looked at this script and copied the part I wanted.

Thanks to the author, I'm a noob with maxscript I would never have found it otherwise.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    you need to go a bit lower level for this i think. polyOps are called for :)
    aSelectedVerts = (polyop.getVertSelection $) as array
    nSelectedVerts = aSelectedVerts.count

for i = 1 to nSelectedVerts do
    (
    	vertPosition = polyop.getVert $ aSelectedVerts[i]
    	vertPosition.x = 0.0
    	polyop.setVert $ aSelectedVerts[i] vertPosition

)

edit - beaten to it. Oh well :)
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you it's still a good thing you answered I will look at your code and try to understand it, copy pasting stuff is not the way to go. I prefer yours since it's only doing what I want so I can understand it better.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    get an array of the currently selected vertices, polyop ops dont return arrays for this sort of thing, they return whats called a bitArray. because of this we use 'as array' to convert it into an array.
    aSelectedVerts = (polyop.getVertSelection $) as array

we find how many verts are selected
    nSelectedVerts = aSelectedVerts.count

we start a for loop from 1 to the number of selected verts
    for i = 1 to nSelectedVerts do
    (

we vertex index stored at position i in the array, and then use a polyOp to get that vertexs position.
    	vertPosition = polyop.getVert $ aSelectedVerts[i]

we explicitly set the x position stored in vertPosition to 0.
    	vertPosition.x = 0.0

Then we update the position of the vert
    	polyop.setVert $ aSelectedVerts[i] vertPosition

)
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK thank you for the breakdown. Most of the time when trying simple scripts like that, I understand the functions, but have problems inputing the correct data type. (plugin an array instead of a integer for example).

That's my issue most of the time :/ Practices makes perfect I guess. But it will take a while I think. At least I'm more confident now than I was with mel scripting at the begining.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    best thing to do is look up the max script help. check the data type functions return and expect as input and then read their help.

if you have a variable and you want to know its data type or class
    type
    classOf variable
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your help, I've a lot to learn here, but the possibilities are enormous. I think I'm starting to understand Perna about the importance of max customization to fix autodesk mistakes :>

It's a great tool in fact it's just so dry at first contact (well before ribbon tools that is)
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I may be misunderstanding, but after you align your verts on on the X, can't you just type a zero into the X value beneath the viewport?
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I could, but I'm lazy and want to be able to do all that with a hotkey (I don't need to align now as x=0 absolutely). Besides in expert mode that bar is invisible and I like my ui very simple :)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hit f12 to bring it up as a floater