Home Technical Talk

Has any one used PTex for their art pipeline? (INo UV creation required)

Ptex has been open sourced. Does any one have any experience using this in their production pipeline?

http://ptex.us/overview.html

EDIT: How do I fix typos in titles?

Replies

• Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I wonder if it's feasible to have a game engine that would use ptex files instead of tgas. Doesn't sound very realistic to me. But wtf do I know.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    In many ways Mega Textures or Virtual Textures are similar to ptex. For games it would mostly be useful for environments and you would probably make your own painting, stamping and blending tools in the engine like id did, instead of importing huge textures painted somewhere else.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea its a bit of a dead end given the current console hardware, from what I understand. I doubt we'll see much of it in the next generation either. The only real use it has for us right now, is to do the materials on the high poly and bake down to an unwrapped low poly, without having to worry about UV's.
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    I believe someone will be giving a talk at SIGGRAPH about implementing Ptex for real-time use, which is interesting. Perhaps with next-gen PC-only titles we could see someone moving to it (once graphics memory increases). As I understand it from a brief conversation with a vfx TD, the biggest downside of Ptex is the lack of reusable textures. In games you want to take advantage of modular environments and tiling textures, but with Ptex your texture coordinates are derived from specific geometry. A different building needs its own unique texture. UVs will probably make sense for games for a while, at least until we start seeing graphics cards with quantities of RAM equivalent to your average render farm system.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well, as a tool within asset creation it is indeed fantastic. For instance you can very easily sculpt a rough shape in mudbox, and use ptex to apply a first texturing pass without having to prepare UVs or go back to level0 to unwrap.

I dont think that automatic UVs creation will ever be a reality for realtime use tho, because of one simple thing : manual UVs will always be more optimized, and this alone will always make them superior since less splits and more pixel density is always better. However for prerendered stuff I think this is totally fine.

It actually worries me when game tech guys have dream-talk about magical one-click auto UV generation solutions. It simply isnt practical for many reason that any experieced game artist knows - hence it shows a certain disconnection with reality and game art constraints.

It could be fine in some very specific cases (I think LOVE does it, right ?) but for the kind of content that 99% of games are made it just wouldnt work, in my opinion.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    pior wrote: »
    I dont think that automatic UVs creation will ever be a reality for realtime use tho, because of one simple thing : manual UVs will always be more optimized, and this alone will always make them superior since less splits and more pixel density is always better. However for prerendered stuff I think this is totally fine.

I don't think your thinking about PTex quite right. automatic UV's dont come into the equation. the data is stored as thousands of images, each image represents a quad or 2 triangles. there isn't any empty image space. and texel density is defined locally on a face by face basis.
    I guess it remains to be seen when AD provide us with .ptex support in max and maya.

(not to disagree with your broader point)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Of course Ptex is different from an auto pelt - but regardless, my point is that with the current limitations of game art (talking props and characters here), regular UVs are just preferable. It's not just because of technical limitation, it's also for practical reasons!
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Of course Ptex is different from an auto pelt - but regardless, my point is that with the current limitations of game art (talking props and characters here), regular UVs are just preferable. It's not just because of technical limitation, it's also for practical reasons!

I wasn't disagreeing with that. I was simply wondering where automatic UVs got drawn into the mix.
  • fr0gg1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    Sculpted, then Painted this as Ptex File
    Ptex_test.jpg
    Then did automatic UVs on the high at lowest level, reimported as new object, subdivided to match the level of that previous high, baked a 4k texture out of it in mud (transfering paint layers and sculpt details)
    then exported high with the texture and baked into xnormal a 1k on my low.
    Worked awesome.
    Wish Xnormal was reading Ptex files so I would avoid to completly do the baking of the high process... One can dream.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This helps explain the painting workflow and gives you a peek at how it handles things. It's pretty straight forward and not that different from how some people work now.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxNlAlOuQQQ[/ame]

Like fletch said, each face has its own map and each map/face can be up res'ed and the system handles the blending between maps. So you can have a character or a single prop with an entire games texture budget. That's just nutty for what we do on the ancient hardware we have to design for. We also have so much more going on, collision, deformation, particles, AI bla bla bla...

You also have to look at what its being used for, Pixar and Disney animated films. A lot of solid colors with sprinkles of detail here and there. So they can large areas with large textels and save on detail/texture budget. In games you often have ultra noisy textures that require a lot of detail.

3DCoat and Mudbox2012 support PTex so we can start using it now as artists and if and when some technical wizard figures out how to make it work in realtime its not a huge jump like normal maps where.

I think we'll see more people creating materials on the high poly without worrying about the UV's and baking it all down, diffuse, spec, normal, ao, instead of just bake normal and AO and paint the diffuse in 2D.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems that there is a workflow 'of sorts' to use ptex in max.
    http://www.mankua.com/Stripes/Stripes.php
    It looks like its a bake down of ptex to a auto uv, but it should make using ptex in max a bit easier until a another more direct solution comes up
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that they've redone the viewport display they might have an easier time displaying ptex so maybe down the road it will happen when they upgrade one of their rendering engines to support ptex, heh.

That is if other pressing needs don't pop up an focus their energy some place else. I don't think they would of put more time and money into upgrading the UV tools if they thought the industry was going to adopt ptex as the dominant format anytime soon, but then you can call the UV editor overhaul more of a reskin with some new tools tossed in...
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    ptex style uvs would actually work well with virtual texturing. The only down side is you cant edit them in a 2d program, you need 3d projection painting of come kind, and thats only a problem because there arent really any good and robust 3d painting solutions.