Home General Discussion

Moving to Vancouver - anyone there?

Hey folks,

I'm moving to Vancouver in a few months time from New Zealand and I'm wondering if there are any Polycounters there. Back here the local devs get together for a monthly MeetUp which is awesome - is there anything like that in Van? It'd be great to meet some like minded people and do some sweet networking.

Also, I'll be looking for ANY work when I get there. Does anyone need a guitar teacher/waiter/doanythingforcashguy? :)

Replies

• Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    As you can see, relative to the 'anybody in new york' and 'anybody in montreal' threads, we are a very friendly, inviting bunch. :) There's a few events like that, but I haven't attended any in ages, so I'll leave it to someone a little more knowledgeable to answer that.

Either way, hope you like it here!
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    hey dude,
    vancouver has quite a few game artists (probably quite a few unemployed right now too). there is usually a monthly local siggraph chapter event that sometimes covers things like game design, post mortems on games and breakdowns on certain film fx from studios all over the world. I actually got to meet and shake dennis muren's hand when ILM came up to give a wicked presentation.

those events usually have a mixer at the beginning with some often free booze and snacks and are a good place to chat with various students and industry folks. drop a line back here or send me a pm when you are in town and I would be happy to grab a beer with you, probably drag some of the other relic folk out to join us too.
  • Hamish Bode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pixelmasher - cheers dude! That'd be awesome. I'll probably be applying to Relic once I get over there (I see a couple of positions on the site I'm interested in!)

I'm definitely going to hold you to that beer.
  • Nemlet17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Hamish! I'm moving there in late August. Would love to meet up with you and Pixel sometime and others to grab a beer. I'm glad I saw this thread, seems like a nice place to move even though the industry there has it's ups and downs. Coming from Michigan (not as far as you), so I'm looking forward to the new experience.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    I've been pondering a vancouver polycount beer night. Been quite awhile since the last one.
  • Hamish Bode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool! Lets pencil it in for late August.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    i miss you guys so much :(
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Who told you I live here?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beergoggles.jpg

:poly122: other than that I'd love to get together for some brews.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    As long as I've been around there's never been a Vancouver meet. Though, I've always wanted one.

I guess we were just waiting until after Gav, ae. Adam moved, because, who would want to have beers with those guys? :)
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Let me know when the Vancouver meetup is going down! :)
  • Hamish Bode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure thing Alex - it looks like a lot of people are keen. Also, if you guys know of anyone who is getting out of their apartment/house in August for a few weeks and they're looking to sublet it jsut let me know! I'm looking for a place to stay before getting a longer term rental/commiting to living under a bridge if I can't get work.
  • Nemlet17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To give you an exact date I will moving there around August 20th. I'm going to school at VFS for their 3d program. I still haven't found a place to live though. So, if anyone has a place they're sharing for rent I would be interested! Would be nice to live with someone with the same passion BUT please help Hamish first. I feel like I'm stealing your glory of finding a place and help :p

Zack
  • confracto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    confracto polycounter lvl 11
    a Vancouver meet would be cool.
  • Nemlet17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I'm reviving this thread. I'm moving to Vancouver August 13th, so lets get this meet up in session....I need a beer. Also, if anyone has a place to rent out I'm looking. I'm a strapping young lad, beautiful, very hard to look at without being jealous but really P.M. if you need a cool young hip roomie.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I live in Vancouver too as well. It's a nice place I find. Better than being in Alberta thats for sure.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Total thread derail but didn't you say you got a job at Blizzard?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    TeeJay wrote: »
    Total thread derail but didn't you say you got a job at Blizzard?

Yeah, I thought you made a thread a while ago saying you were moving to California! It was a trap!
  • z3phon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z3phon polycounter lvl 12
    @Nemlet17: When do you plan on starting VFS? I'm about to graduate soon. A friend of mine was looking for roommate, I can ask and let you know if he's still looking for one.
  • Nemlet17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey z3phon, I'm starting the 29th of August but I'm flying in the 13th. Thanks fore the heads-up, please keep me updated!

Zack
  • Acr0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acr0 polycounter lvl 5
    Vancouver had a small nuke dropped onto the Dev industry there a year ago.

Propaganda closing,
    Radical layoffs,
    EA layoffs,
    UFG loosing True Crime and laying off all their contractors
    Relic hiring freeze.
    Blue Castle (now know as CGS:V) near its staff limit.

It's recovering slowly, with Microsoft opening the halo studio, but still a lot of unemployed devs :(
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FYI, UFG is back on TC and have re-hired most of the people that got layed off and wanted to go back. This article details it and I know a few guys on the team who couldn't be happier
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/02/back-on-the-streets-true-crime-hong-kong/
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Capcom is ramping up and should be hiring a TON of people soon, we are already looking for some positions to be filled.

On the subject of the relic hiring freeze, I dont know about that, I was hired there last year on an 11 month contract and throughout it they were bringing artists on board, contractors but still steadily staffing.

All the decent artists I know have found work, contract or in some cases fulltime which is super rare. I was lucky enough to transition from enviro art to fulltime lighting here and Im still thanking the gods of gaming to be an actual employee after 2 years of contracting. although even when i was a contractor there was always work available it seems so once you get past the instinct to panic when your contract is coming to an end in 2 months time you get used to it.

I think a big part of the reason for the layoffs in vancouver is partially due to fat trimming. I have worked with some mediocre or down right lazy people that dont really care about the end product. Most studios seem to always have some of those guys who have been there for a long time that their severance would be huge, so they just keep floating along.

There is a reason most vancouver games get reviews in the 50-70 score ranges. there seems to be this attitude of "its good enough" or "just get it done" around town that seems to be slowly changing as studios realize they cant just pump out shit when other studios in Canada like toronto or montreal are making huge blockbuster AAA titles.

I know in the last couple years since the layoffs studios in town have started to change their mantra, possibly because the right people kept their jobs. Im not saying this applies to everyone who was laid off but its a definite observation that me and a few industry buds I go for beers with on a regular basis agree on.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's an interesting point to bring up Tim,

I've noticed a few of the guys I just worked with who had been around for a long time couldn't care less about the project which led to a fair bit of cleanup by other people after they left. They we're nice enough people , and I get that a niche "sport" title isn't as exciting as a AAA actionspolsion, but talk about counter-fucking-productive. So what if you're doing texture clean-up on a rabbit? it's better better then telling a fat guy he looks good in a medium t-shirt for zero commision. I don't know, for a little while I got to make art for games all day and I just can't comprehend not being able to find some kind of joy in that.

I also know a couple guys who got "trimmed" because even though they're excellent artists, somebody higher up dpesn't like em and now they're out of work. And that is fucking bullshit.

As for the "it's good enough/just get it done" games. Many of them really weren't good enough. I don't mean the art necessarily, but the actually gameplay. There's been some pretty big titles out here and they've ended up as some pretty half-assed, boring games, that absolutely deserved the scores they got. I know alot of it is marketing people who convince the money people the games have to be X, X, and X and if it's gritty than the hero has to be a bald white guy and whatever in order to sell but they've stolen those bullet-ponts from successfull games that were fun, so it's definatley possible.

I don't know if that made any sense, I get pretty annoyed about the whole subject and I'm rarely coherant at the best of times (there's a reason most of my posts are short and sarcastic), but that's my oppinion.

er, welcome to Vancouver Hamish and Nemlet :poly141:
  • Acr0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acr0 polycounter lvl 5
    It great to hear UFG bounced back!

Capcom is going to have to move, or expand to another floor if they want to grow, they were near max capacity for DR2. maybe they will...

I wouldn't blame the low scores on the average workers. I would blame it on the crappy management and vision.

I also know quite a few great artists there that got booted because they didn't "keep quite and do your work". They cared about making an awesome game and fought for changes, and the producer or CD didn't want to hear any of it. Then the game ships with a 70% rating.

For a game to dip below to 50-70% rating is WELLL beyond the power of the normal staff, that a leadership issue there.

In the end, the more companies in vancouver the better! healthy competition! healthy workforce! Though the reliance on contract and not full time positions does make a few people uneasy