Home General Discussion

Degrees, Visas, and moving to America

Hey everyone, I need some advice on Visas, and I know there are a few here who have relocated and have some in-depth knowledge on the subject.

Here's my situation;

I'm planning to move to America, or rather, I would like to, in about 3 years or so. I have two main reasons for wanting to move, one, I love the place, and two, there are far more studios offering employment than there are in the UK.

I know more studios doesn't necessarily mean more chance of me getting a job, but at least it's more places to apply to.

I'm also about to start my Animation Mentor course, and from what I have found out, the large majority of the studios their careers department work with are US based.

Ok onto where I'm at;

I'm currently doing a distance learning degree in Interior Architecture. I absolutely hate it. I started it a couple years ago when I thought I had an interest in the subject. Shortly after starting it I realised how wrong I was. The sole reason I've continued to do it is to support my visa application later. I couldn't care less about having the actual degree, and I sure as hell don't plan to use any knowledge I've picked up from it.

Now I just found out I have a lot more of it left than I thought, like 18 months more. And I'm really ready to just pull out to focus my time on other things.

Problem is, I've heard a degree is necessary to get a visa to work in the US. Is this true? Are there exceptions? Also, my fiancee is keen to move too, and I wouldn't move without her. Does she need to apply as an individual, with her own degree and an offer of work?

The idea was to find a job myself, and her find a job when we get there, but she doesn't have a degree, only a HND which is like the first year of a degree.

I'd love to know how it works, and any advice you guys have because if there's any way I can pull out of this degree, I'd be happy to hear it.

Replies

• Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14

Problem is, I've heard a degree is necessary to get a visa to work in the US. Is this true? Are there exceptions?

http://www.workpermit.com/us/employee.htm

The short answer is, you need a relevant degree or a ton of experience.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I don't have much information about working visa's but having a degree in an alternative field can be useful considering the current conditions. I'm in the same boat BTW. I'm studying materials engineering, totally hate both the university and the discipline. I have a little more than a year to graduate. The only reason I'm trying to complete the degree is to have something to fall back on if I can't get jobs or get laid off in the future etc.

Also, I hope it can help me earn some money so I can move out and upgrade my hardware regularly etc. All I have are a netbook and an iPod touch right now and I still live with my parents lol f**k the moment I decided to go to the technical university :/

EDIT: BTW, there's this college in Toronto whose certificate programs help you get a work visa even if you don't have a job offer. It costs about 10K if I remember correctly:

http://www.senecac.on.ca/

maybe you can find a similar college in the US?
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I'm currently doing a distance learning degree in Interior Architecture. I absolutely hate it. I started it a couple years ago when I thought I had an interest in the subject. Shortly after starting it I realised how wrong I was. The sole reason I've continued to do it is to support my visa application later. I couldn't care less about having the actual degree, and I sure as hell don't plan to use any knowledge I've picked up from it.

You would be suprised how relevant this exact kind of degree is to making computer games.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    There have been a number of threads about it in the past, but I remember Gav wrote up a great summary of his experiences:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72320

It sounds like a really tough thing to do, and I wish you the best of luck with it.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    You need 4 years of experience per year of education that you don't have towards a degree. I got in on 10 yrs experience and 2 yrs of art school - enough to cover a 4 year degree that I didn't have. I think the likelihood of getting a visa with just a degree is a lot lower than if you have some experience though. You'd have to be pretty badass coming fresh out of school for a company to justify sponsoring you over a native. Your fiance is SoL as far as a job goes unless she gets her own visa. Only way you'll be able to bring her with you is if she gets sponsored separately by an employer or if you marry her - being married to a migrant worker doesn't qualify her for the right to work here though. She'll still need her own visa for that.

One of our concept artists is an architect, here on a visa, so I'd say stick with your program and finish it. 18 months isn't so long.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Quick question:
    I'm currently doing an internship here in denmark in the arch viz where I'm actually working full time while getting my education(which is either a level under or equal to a high school degree I'm not mistaken), when I'm done I have 2,5 years of work experience together with a 2,5 year long education, anyone know how this will work with a visa?
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

Nice link to Gav's write-up too, I hadn't seen that.

So in terms of the degree, is it simply a case of having one, or does it matter who awarded it?

The thing is, as I mentioned, I do my degree in my own time at home, using correspondence via post and email. The reason I do it this way is because I was 24 when I started, and had already been working (in Arch-Viz, not Games or Animation) for a few years and the idea of dropping the salary and going back to study full time on student funding was neither appealing or even feasible.

So would that type of degree be considered in the same way? I mean, it's awarded by the same people, the course is validated by the same universities, the only difference is I do it in my own time, at home, rather than go to lectures on a campus etc.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    If the course/school is accredited by the same institutions that accredit other universities it shouldn't be an issue. Many universities don't even make a distinction between diplomas awarded for in person classes and those awarded for distance learning.
  • Ennolangus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, keep in mind, time frame. If time is not an issue, it'll be fine. But the U.S. takes quite a awhile to issue work visa's or to do immigration without a company sponsoring you (and only really bigger studios have the financial backing to support someone from over seas instead of a native to call you over.).

I just went through this all trying to go from Canada to the U.S - it's a lot of work and a lot of processing information. I didn't have a degree, and my 3 year course 'counts' but i need industry experience to go with it (and currently only have a few months so i need to wait). It's a bit of a hassle.

I do know the UK is getting bigger in the gaming market, even to just get industry freelance will help you also to get across the border.

your fiancee will need a work visa if she plans to work, if you're married i do believe she can get a special permit to enter the country however she can't work.

You need a degree, 18 months to get that piece of paper will be very handy if you plan on moving to the U.S. Seriously, do it.

I'm not sure what it's like in the UK, but here in Canada you have two types of universities, privately owned or ones that are government supported (i forget the actual main difference, ones supported by the province/area and one is owned by an individual i do believe is how it works). I know degrees and such from privately owned schools can be a hassle with immigration to the U.S. as well, however it doesn't seem to always be the case.

(They really need to change some things with work visa's, to help people trying to work in the game dev. industry be able to work a little more easily. Even to update the types of employment you are going for list would be nice!)

It's pretty sad but right now they still after all these years just have 'graphic design' under employment types in the U.S., when animation and game development have been continually growing, especially in the last 10 years. I do believe game dev., anmation, tv show, etc this industry falls under graphic design, or can.

Hope this helps, gav's poll is good too, and also you can also call the U.S. embacy/immigration for answers too. I'm sure there's some in England, as there are in Canada or to even call the immigration in the states directly (it'll cost a bit but at least it'll be first hand 100% information).

good luck! it's a toughy but if you're sure, just need a bit of work on your end to do, but definitely get that degree. It's near impossible otherwise (not 100% but incredibly difficult, time consuming, etc).
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I have a pretty good knowledge of all of this, PM me and we can chat about any concern you might have. People might give you a good idea of what it takes, but more often this is a per person and his needs kinda scenario. Not all visas are the same, just like there is not only one way to approach them. I have plenty of experience on this haha Anyways, let me know and i hope i can help.