Home Technical Talk

Building guns modularly

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
I'ved noticed that guns like the G3, MP5 etc have the same body styles, same with AK's, m4s, ar-15s, and some HK guns and there are many more.

What im asking is there anything wrong production/portfolio wise with creating different barrel variations or interchangeable body types to reuse models? Like If I make a m4 body but I use it to also create an m16 with any slight modifications to get it to match or fit.

Same with sites, scopes, and other accessories. Im wondering if this is a bad Idea because you'll get more experience constantly recreating the objects or if its a smart way to conquer challenging tasks more quickly.

As long as it s practically identical the actual gun I really see no problem, but thats why im asking you guys.

Replies

• Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    For production I'd say it's a good and efficient solution (though some texture twiddling might be nice to stop it looking too much the same)

For a portfolio it's a more personal matter. Doing each thing uniquely will indeed give more experience and might be cooler to show off, but showing you can work efficiently (by tackling things as modules) can definitely be a good thing to show. So it depends on what you want to show.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    There are two different things here:

1) demonstrating an ability to create a modular weapon/accessory set like you would see in Call of Duty/Battlefield/Homefront/etc.
    2) demonstrating an ability to create a number of unique assets.

If you fill your portfolio exclusively with Kalashnikov-based rifles, you're going to look like someone who can't model an M4. Demonstrating breadth in shape and material knowledge is important.

If part of your portfolio has some gun mods you can stick on several guns and you're showing that you can build compatible pieces, that's another skill you're demonstrating.

So long story short, it's cool to re-use/be modular to show off skill in that area. Just don't make it the entirety of the portfolio.

In a production environment you're going to re-use a lot of stuff, and if you're mimicking real-world re-use then that's all the more reason to re-use stuff. Just make sure you're getting the subtle differences between your AK-74u and your AK-47.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generally speaking, if i'm reviewing your portfolio I want to see variety. Even if you specialize in guns I want to see a variety of guns, not 37 variants of an m4. Since making modular weapons takes a lot more time and planing, in the time it took you to create that modular m4 system you probably could have created 4-5 full unique guns instead.

Now, when it comes to games systems, most games have a pretty basic system, you can add attachments to your gun. Scopes, silencers, greande launchers, different mags. If you look at games like stalker, that is how they did it.

I think anything beyond that is going to really increase asset complexity and workflow, and slow you down. Swaping out buttstocks and barrels and grips and upper receivers and RIS rail systems etc; then you need to put all of these objects on a separate texture and you end up with an insane amount of assets. I think its overkill personally. Borderlands is really the only game that I've seen do something like this, and honestly the weapons in borderlands are below average. I'm not sure if this is an asset/design quality problem or a modular system problem, likely a bit of both.

Instead of worrying about modular stuff, my best advice is this: Some people will tell you not to model realistic guns, or not to model *too many* realistic guns. I will tell you; never model the same realistic gun someone else has. Model something rare and interesting, or model something highly customized. It IS possible to make a great model of an M4 that WILL get you noticed, despite popular belief. But you've gotta really kick ass at it, and it has to be unique, not the same M4A2 config everyone and their mother has made a million times. I would suggest coming up with your own "design" via: http://pimpmygun.doctornoob.com/

A couple quick examples I made for pedro when he said he wanted to model an m4:
    pipgun.jpg

pipgun2.jpg

Nobody wants to see this:
    92066342.jpg
    or this:
    000-3d-model-m4_01.jpg
    or this:
    goodspray1276d.jpg

But if you show me this, you've got my attention:
    Splash.jpg
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldnt go as far as to say Id create different textured parts. Just high poly parts that can be adapted.

Ill just stick to doing it with scopes and accessories and less the actual gun.

That last image is very inspirational, what is it based off of?