Home General Discussion

How many times a Thread has been viewed?

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
BradleyWascher polycounter lvl 13
Am I missing something, is there away to see how many people have viewed a thread not replied to it, thanks.

Replies

• Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Am I missing something, is there away to see how many people have viewed a thread not replied to it, thanks.

~ I actually think its good that you can't see how many views.

Other forums had an issue (especially in competition threads/wip threads) where people would pretty much ignore a thread if it didnt have a bajillion views.

It totally sucked for the people who weren't necessarily rockstar artists yet as they would go completely unnoticed and were often overlooked.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Dreamer wrote: »
    ~ I actually think its good that you can't see how many views.

Other forums had an issue (especially in competition threads/wip threads) where people would pretty much ignore a thread if it didnt have a bajillion views.

It totally sucked for the people who weren't necessarily rockstar artists yet as they would go completely unnoticed and were often overlooked.

^
    THIS

if people aren't replying, tuck in the chin and keep on truckin'. threads get overlooked all-the-time.
    case in point, the brawl entries span 21 pages and i know i've only been ABLE to look at a third of them.
    most importantly, don't take it personally. become your harshest critic and always one up the last piece of art you made.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We have deliberately removed the option to avoid the CG**** vibe, where you're only as popular as your page views, and people are only looking at threads with high page views.
  • BradleyWascher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradleyWascher polycounter lvl 13
    Oh hear me out, I started this thread mostly out of curiosity and not out of a lack of reply's on any of my posts. I do agree I love the way polycount just shows the replies on a thread, but sometimes I just find it interesting to see the traffic and was wondering if it was tucked away somewhere. thanks
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    We have deliberately removed the option to avoid the CG**** vibe, where you're only as popular as your page views, and people are only looking at threads with high page views.

well, instead of the view count now it is the reply count. so might as well remove the reply count and the page numbers too.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    there are ways... mwuhahahahaha
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    To answer your question: it is possible, yes. In the "Last Post" column, mouse over the thread in question's Date and latest poster to get a Reply + View count.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Page views is there. You just need to look harder.

One thing i'd like in threads though. I wish it was possible to only get a highlighted thread when the OP updates the thread and not every time someone posts. Would come in handy when Slipgate posts in his Brawl thread, so I don't have to keep going there every time a "minion" posts thinking i've missed something.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM wrote: »
    well, instead of the view count now it is the reply count. so might as well remove the reply count and the page numbers too.

Yes and while we're at it we can remove the text and interface.

Point being, views is just one of those ego-inflating stats, and we don't really see it as critical information. Reply count and page views are different.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    haha you're just so under privileged here, are you? :P
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Yes and while we're at it we can remove the text and interface.

lol, as long as it is arbitrary hehe.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM wrote: »
    lol, as long as it is arbitrary hehe.

We'll only do it for ZacD, Greevar, and Belias
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes lets see, 821 posts since Dec 09, you're certainly a candidate. =D