Call of Buty! Student seeking advice.

gdsworld
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
gdsworld polycounter lvl 9
Latest Image:
updateprogresstexturing.jpg

Hey all,

I've just joined this community, hopefully I can recieve some critique on my university project.
Here is the latest screen grab from zbrush.
The concept was to make a female character for the next Call of Duty game. ;)

femalesculpt.jpg
Any help appreciated.

Replies

• beta_channel
    Offline / Send Message
    beta_channel polycounter lvl 7
    Belly button too low, breasts too "out" and pulling straight out as well. Do some research on breasts...artists and doctors are pretty much the only people that can look at boobs all day and say it's for research :) Granted...most artists also have to do this with a penis and such as well. So it's a little bit of a double edged sword.

Ankles are awkward. Feet are flat. Arms appear too long. Face is manish. Can you turn on perspective when you showcase? It will help to get a feel for the form and how the silhouette is working. it also helps to render on a 50% gray instead of pure black (shape is lost in the darkness).
  • gdsworld
    Offline / Send Message
    Super Happy Cow- I've uploaded an image with close ups for you to see. Thanks for the feedback.

Beta-channel- Thanks for spotting the errors, I've tried to improve all those you've listed.

I think this community is much better than the cgsociety as i've had no response to my thread on there. Cheers guys.

Here is the finished zbrush sculpt images.
    Model sheet- http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7786/charactersheetj.jpg
    Close up- http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/2640/detailedshot.jpg

detailedshot.jpg
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    While I'm sure you really want to, i don't think its necessary to go that far into a nude for a character that will appear in Call of Duty. It seems like you're missing what the point of what Call of Duty is, unless the character you're choosing to make is a stripper in [whatever country the CoD game takes place is].

I'd suggest looking at some real reference before getting excited to model breasts and vaginas.

5368148718_8586ea3e62_z.jpg
    5458518718_3e4c5d8e13.jpg
    marines.jpg
    5367532655_d07032cab3.jpg

Point being, women in war are not sexualized as what you're showing here. With this reference, you don't even need to model breasts, this base should have next to no detail, and exist purely as an anatomical base to build on.

as for the model, the proportions feel off around the body, hands a bit small, lower legs too short, and she looks like she has kyphosis. the upper torso looks like its on the right track tho, but think you may be going a little too far with the silicone. All around, i think you need to use a lot more reference, of normal people, look at skeletons, and copy forms and shapes from anatomy books. The hard part with this will be making her face realistic!
  • Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    moose wrote: »
    While I'm sure you really want to, i don't think its necessary to go that far into a nude for a character that will appear in Call of Duty. It seems like you're missing what the point of what Call of Duty is, unless the character you're choosing to make is a stripper in [whatever country the CoD game takes place is].

I'd suggest looking at some real reference before getting excited to model breasts and vaginas.
    !

It's part of our brief (uni assignment) that the model will be presented nude and is anatomically correct.

As for the model, the proportions of the face look a bit off, eyes too big maybe? Also the upper arm just before the elbow goes a bit pointy and the tricep too thin.
  • gdsworld
    Offline / Send Message
    Moose- Thanks for the feedback, sorry I should've explained in the intro that we are not being marked on the clothing so my focus will be on the overall proportions and the anatomy.

Skillmister- Cheers for the feedback i've tried to improve these so hopefully it looks better now.
    updateprogressface.jpg
    updateprogresstexturing.jpg
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Face is very male-transvestite. Partially due to shapes (mostly the jawline) and partially due to texture (looks like you painted beard stubble?).
  • gdsworld
    Offline / Send Message
    Having some serious issues with my normal mapping. Please help me if you know what the problem might be.

The arm looks badly inverted and i've tried everything and I can't fix it.
    -i've build my low poly model again last night and then unwrapped it and i'm still getting this problem.

I tried to project it in zbrush, xnormal and 3ds max and nothing worked.
    normalproblem.jpg
  • Cap Hotkill
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    her face freaks me out, its like if her teeth was made out of white paste..
  • makecg
    Call of Buty i think i remember seeing a movie like that.

anyways Nice work so far
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Isn't it Call Of "Booty"...?

Also, this thread freaks me the hell out :| Interesting idea mind you, we don't see many (Any?) female matine models... But that face... Shes so... Happy...

Can't... Stop... Looking...
  • gdsworld
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the comments guys, If I can get this normal map solved in time i'll have a few days to go back and improve a few things.

Super Happy Cow- I've just flipped the red channel and here is the result
    flippedn.jpg

Its still not working.
    I did originally use the lower sub-division from zbrush and I thought that was causing the problem but then I started from scratch yesterday and did a whole new mesh in 3ds max and annoying as it sounds I have the exact same errors.
  • gdsworld
    Offline / Send Message
    If anyone wants me to e-mail them the file so they can have a look, just post in your e-mail and i'll send it to you.
    Appreciate your help guys.
  • gdsworld
    Offline / Send Message
    Super Happy Cow- Appreciate your help man, I was going to put it in an engine next just to check it out. But this morning when I got up I recieved a message from my lecturer and he fixed it for me.

It may sound weird but he de-attached the problem areas, attached them to a primitive box and then attached it back to the body which fixed the error. He did it infront of me and I was amazed. But then we had a power failur so we lost everything.

Either ways I appreciate everyones help.
    normalmap.jpg
  • Kitteh
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Reset Xform probably woulda done the same thing.
  • Roepetoepa
    Offline / Send Message
    Roepetoepa polycounter lvl 12
    hey man had the same problem and a friend of mine too.
    There is another way to fix it too.
    open your material panel add a normal material to your mesh, save the thing, reset your project, import your mesh from the project u just saved and add the directx xoliul shader again with your normalmap.
    Normally this should fix your problems too :) you could also try to detach the problem areas before you detach but i've never needed that :]
    have fun ;]