Home General Discussion

Any 2d artists wants make chars on The BRAWL Tournament???

JR
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
JR polycounter lvl 15
Hi guys.

I'm kind of frustrate because there's no 2d category on the contest.
Problably PC staff took this decision based on the little number of 2d artists on the forum. But I'm opening this thread to see if there are any 2d artists there who feels like me and wants to enter too.

If there are an expressive number, we can get a young female virgin (although they are hard to find nowadays) and offer to PC staff, to see if they can open a 2d category for us.

Replies

• leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    This is polycount. How do you count polies on a 2d picture?
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    leilei wrote: »
    This is polycount. How do you count polies on a 2d picture?

I thought it was a forum of game art. Concept art is part of the process.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Don't leave out the 2d environment guys in your plea :p
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    There are a lot of 2d artists on this forum. It's just that most of us do 3d too.

Why don't you use this chance to learn some 3d? You still need to concept it out first!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    If they add a 2d section i may be able to enter as I'm literally working on a 2d fighting game right now. But if not, I'll just keep chuggin' away regardless. This is "Poly" count after all though ;)
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    I believe adam already stated that 2D folk can't help 3D folk either :X
    Pester him enough and the PC administrative might open up something 8D
    I think there should be a category for it.
    If anything this competition will have a much greater rate of exposure compared to Dominance War. Seeing how it's kind of Fan Art themed it will make it's way to non 3D art sites too :) So let more folk participate :D
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    I was kind of curious to see if there might be enough 2d folk here who would want to do this for fun, so if others are down I certainly am. All in good fun yea?

Why don't we just make a WIP thread and have everyone post in it? (with mod approval obviously)
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    "Any 2d artists wants make chars on The BRAWL Tournament???"

YES! and then Im gonna do it in 3D all over again...

seriously though the 2D guys should probably get some love too.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Yeah. I was kinda shocked to see no 2D option. I'll be doing 3D for this but I support the "Fight" for the 2D guys. Just start a thread and do some concepts anyway, just say you cant be arsed to model it. Maybe by then something will have been arranged.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    -paint a 'texture'.

-make it 100% fullbright diffuse texture

-apply to plane

-render from orthogonal view.

Or you could just start a parralel 'open for all' thread for 2d artists, sort of like this thread.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Well, make concepts is pretty simple and artistic, it's just imagine and draw. 3d in other hand is kind of boring because it has a lot of technical things to worry about. But it seems I have to go 3d anyway if I want to enter... So, let's go.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    jramauri wrote: »
    I thought it was a forum of game art. Concept art is part of the process.

Funny, that's something too many people don't understand, and it's because they work as 3d monkeys or they have zero skills at drawing.
    Well, make concepts is pretty simple and artistic, it's just imagine and draw. 3d in other hand is kind of boring because it has a lot of technical things to worry about. But it seems I have to go 3d anyway if I want to enter... So, let's go.

That's very true, and i add that 3d takes too much time and effort to finish. In some minutes we can have a clear pencil concept.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    I want to do a 2d entry, I already know who I want to do and how I'll redesign them, but it'll be too big of a drag to make it in 3d.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Game Artisans?
    nm I was thinking of conceptart.org :P
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Hey guys, i just created this thread

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82312

It's an unnoficial 2d challenge for us, 2d guys. So, if you want to post your concepts there, feel free. It's unnoficial, but it will be as fun as the official challenge.
  • dippingsauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks jramauri, still pretty lolworthy the mods haven't even acknowledged or replied to the requests-- 2D is a huge part of the game creation process and numerous times have been said to help foster growth in creation of 3D.. as a community polycount should help bring that to light by including it in their first huge comp. OH WELL I GUESSSSSS
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I think making a 2D sprite animation (like most fighting games) on a simple plane would still work for the official challenge. Mr. Game & Watch in Smash Bros is pretty 2D. Would be even cooler is if you made sprites for a character who has only appeared in 3D fighting games.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18

D:

To me, this is like saying that painting is simple and artistic but sculpture is boring and technical. Maybe YOU don't groove on 3D modeling as much as you do sketching or whatever, but not everyone feels that way. I would much rather spend my time modeling a single, highly detailed 3D character than just about anything else, boring technical bits and all.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    On a related note, I do think the rules could accommodate a 2D artist and a 3D artist per submission. Since there are no prizes to divide, I don't see any downside to that, especially as many 3D artists generally work with concept/2D guys in industry.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Something that the concept guys have done here on the past is to start a paintover thread for the contest where 3d guys with weak concepting skills can post their concept for you to critique and offer suggestions via a paintover.
    Gauss did this for one of the Dominance Wars and it was very successful and very popular. A lot of 3d artists neglect their concept skills so a quick paintover from an experienced 2d artist can go a long way in making a stronger end result.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    TomDunne wrote: »
    D:

To me, this is like saying that painting is simple and artistic but sculpture is boring and technical. Maybe YOU don't groove on 3D modeling as much as you do sketching or whatever, but not everyone feels that way. I would much rather spend my time modeling a single, highly detailed 3D character than just about anything else, boring technical bits and all.

No, I didn't say that sculpture is boring. I love to use Zbrush and do sculpture on it. The problem to me it's the technical part. Worry about edge loops, UV mapping, find best arrangement of UVs on maps, generate normal maps, correct artifacts, all this kind of things. To me this is pretty boring. If we could deliver just the high poly sculpture, it will be great. It's as simple and artistic as painting.

Anyways, it seems nobody here is interested in 2d stuff, so I'll continue my thread on challenge forum and make mine in 3d. I've asked Geezus to delete the thread I created too.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    sounds pointless to me. You are working from existing designs. Q: How does concept fit into this at all? A: It doesn't.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    The brief mentions fresh takes on existing characters, yeah?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Snowfly wrote: »
    The brief mentions fresh takes on existing characters, yeah?

Yeah I'm kind of befuddled, as this is a classic job for concept artists at studios.

Publisher: Here developer, we just bought this propery/licensed this movie/resurrected an old IP. Make it fresh!
    Developer: Concept artst, draw the main character how it will look in our game!
    Concept artist: *scribbles furiously*

How is that not concepting?
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    The initial discussion on this thread it's already over to me. But about what Hawken said, I really didn't get it. So do you think that to make a redesign of something, there's no need of a new concept? I always thought like what Ben said. Then this is not concepting?
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I'll say it again.

Why don't you 2D concept guys just start FIGHT threads and join the comp. You don't have to submit at the end. Just work up awesome concepts. And you'll still get all the feedback and camaraderie as we go along. Then maybe you can start a simple Poll thread in GD to get public votes at the end.

EDIT: oh I see you already have. :P
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    EDIT: oh I see you already have. :P

Yeah, I have and I've seen nobody seems interested. Nobody posted there.
  • Kzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kzo
    jramauri, if you don't have answers the very day it doesn't mean nobody cares (or less than you think maybe) :)
    Anyway i will do it.
    I want to do a Union soldier version of Guile and maybe a the stage that comes along if i've got the time.
    hawken wrote: »
    sounds pointless to me. You are working from existing designs. Q: How does concept fit into this at all? A: It doesn't.
    I think it's more a concept artist job than to do whatever you want/like.
    As jramauri said, to redesign an existing character is quite a challenge for a concept artist (especially when it's legendary character designs like this contest). Having restraints is what make you surprise yourself and look beyond of your personal universe.
    Just my opinion :)
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I have and I've seen nobody seems interested. Nobody posted there.

I was gonna do it. You give up too fast. :P