Home Unreal Engine

Modding UDK for adventure game?

Hi all,

As the title says, I'm looking for a way to use UDK to build an adventure game (3rd person) After research on the web, I found that tutorials on this kind of work with UDK are pretty herd to find (or perhaps I didn't quite know were to look?)

In any case, I found a game in progress called "Airborn" that did exactly what I'm looking for as far as gameplay is concerned.

was there ever any tutorial or creation document posted on how the creators of "Airborn" modded UDK?

Thanks a lot,

Gibrril

Replies

• Gibrril
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meanwhile I also found a lot of book for sale on unreal technology. Most of them feature reviews complaining about the fact that these were written for Unreal Editor, while UDK is the more popular program (and the fact that these two packages do differ)...

Given the fact that I want to learn how to create a game that is completely indipendent of Unreal or Unreal Tournament structures, should I buy these books or is there nothing in these on modding of this nature?

-Mastering Unreal Technology I
    -Mastering Unreal Technology II

Thanks a lot,

Gibrril
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just throwing this out there. But this thread seams to be a "how do i make games plz link step by step tutorials!"

What is it exactly that you have problems with? Is it the programming or is it the level design or what?
    I would say that you should start on making smaller project such as just simple maps with an objective before getting into making full games like this.
    I would start with checking out tutorials like the Top Down game found here.

You might want to start studying Unreal Scrips and get a hold of thoose books. At my school we made games using UDK during a 4 week period, none of us had any previous UDK experience, and some of us really changed the game dramaticly. So i really think it can be done for sure.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Look more, but don't expect specific answers. You'll find a few how-to things here and there, but then it's up to you to expand that knowledge by practice.

Look for anything you can find on Unreal Script and Kismet. Eat3d has some nice ones.
  • Gibrril
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies! I figured as much in the meantime.

What I'm looking for exactly is a tutorial on how to "mod" UDK in such a way that it no longer builds a UT or Unreal related game (as in deathmatch or something) but a completely stand-alone custom game.

Thanks for the tips,

Gibrril
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    http://forums.epicgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=371

These threads should have more than enough info to get starts on a UDK project.

However based on your skill level with 3d modeling/animating I don't know how far you can get.
  • haiddasalami
  • Gibrril
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot! (maybe I used the verb "modding" in a wrong context: If you open UDK it's set by default to build a deathmatch map, hence the automatic first person view, futuristic gun and basic controls when you hit the play in editor button) I wanted to get to know a way to get around that and set up custom camera perspective, get rid of the gun by default and get rid of the default setting of a deathmatch structure. Thanks to the tips here, I now have a couple of texts and stuff that explain this.

Many thanks,

Gibrril