Home General Discussion

your cocept vs their concept.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
I hear different opinions based on this, the first being; you should work off your own concepts because people want to see your own ideas. The later; you should work off others concepts because thats what you will be doing in the industry anyways. However, I think both should be incorporated a portfolio, but what would an actual imployer want to see?

what do you think PC?

Replies

• Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    ...how well the model matches the concept, duh ;) (assuming you want to be a modeler)

In general you want people on your team to do what you tell them, and in most cases this is "follow the concept because that's what we (or the client) approved!". If those guys are creative as well - awesome! But being creative usually ain't more important than following the concept in the first place. Personally, I don't think it matters unless an employer can afford (or cares?) to be picky. just my 2 cents...
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The following is my opinion on this matter:

Do whatever you need to do to produce a awesome final visual result.

If you can draw/paint well, then use your own concepts.

Otherwise use someone else's concepts (but get their permission first).

If you can't draw/paint well, work on those skills separately from your 3D portfolio. When your drawing/painting skills improve to the point of making decent/good concept art start using your own concept art as a basis for your 3D work.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I think working on stuff that sets you apart is the more important thing. Obviously you want to tailor your work for the companies you want to work at, but you should have an interesting spin to it. If you are the 200th guy to do a sci-fi hallway, there is a larger pool of competition, whereas if you do something more unique you stand out alot better. In both cases you have to execute well to get the job, but being unique ensures you don't get lost in a sea of others.

Back to your question, some people just can't do full concepts themselves, but you can use existing concepts, photographs etc... for inspiration, use mood boards, just show that that you had a plan, iterated and made decisions.

I really feel it doesn't matter, your concept or someone elses, once it is interesting.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Why not do both? As long as they're both interesting, like m4dcow said, it's all good.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    I would think you'd get bonus points for working off your own concepts since that proves you're a more rounded artist.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    For maximum awesomepoint: show that you can build things from someone elses concept, cause that is very important. Most of the time, professional artists are working on things based on someone elses concept. Having the artistic ability to design great-looking things on your own, is also very important, cause that shows that you can do great art even on your own, and doesnt always need the support of a concept artists, and so on. So.. in my opinion, you need to do both, and do it well, to be a good artist.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    If you want a game job, best bet is to focus, not just in discipline but genera. If you're multitalented you may consider breaking up your portfolio into multiple sites to appeal to specific jobs.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    If you're multitalented you may consider breaking up your portfolio into multiple sites to appeal to specific jobs.

Dont agree with that at all. Why would you want to do that? Focusing on one thing is good, but if you are multitalented you should definitely show that at all times, multitalent is awesome and way too rare. Would you do the same with you resume, hide the fact that your worked as a character artist on one game just because you are applying for an environment position? :]
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know I'm rubbish at concept art, so I tend to work from other people's concepts.

It seems to have done me alright up 'til now. I think so long as you do it to a good technical standard and match the concept well, it's all good.

Always ask the artist's permission first, though, and credit them where you can.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Snefer wrote: »
    Dont agree with that at all. Why would you want to do that? Focusing on one thing is good, but if you are multitalented you should definitely show that at all times, multitalent is awesome and way too rare. Would you do the same with you resume, hide the fact that your worked as a character artist on one game just because you are applying for an environment position? :]

This is a great point snef, if you've actually worked somewhere by all means i think this shows dedication to that specific discipline. But as someone who's tried to break in for almost a year now, I'm finding having a varied portfolio hasn't really given me a leg up yet and i've applied to MANY places. I think when you haven't had a gig yet, they are looking for someone with a bit of niche appeal. But who knows maybe i've just been unlucky as of late or bombing my art tests.

That said i'm quickly becoming very happy where i'm at working with a small start up. I get to wear many hats from game designer to 2d environment artist (what i was brought on for). But my "multitalentedness" wasn't what got me the gig, it was solely my 2d skills. EDIT: and more importantly networking with other people around me who are good at what they do.
  • JustinPunio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm finding having a varied portfolio hasn't really given me a leg up yet and i've applied to MANY places

Once I thought I'd try my hand and dabble in a few disciplines, my former tutor told me (with a class for an audience) why be a 'jack of trades' and be good at many than concentrate and hone your skills to be excellent at one... Of course there are genius modelers out there that can do character and environ, but not that many...

With concept art, in the industry you'll be working on other people's concepts the majority of the time, so it helps to show you can do this. Your own concept art shows you have creativness and originality. So show both I say ^^'