Home Technical Talk

Difference between a game engine and an editor?

Hi Folks,

First off, I am complete newb to game development. And have now idea about anything hence why I’m here - to learn. So please be gentle with meJ

Ok newb question time!!

What is the difference between a game engine and an editor?

Furthermore, I hear the word pipeline used a lot – how would you explain this to a newb?

I’m sure I’ll have more, but these are good to start with!

I’d really appreciate any help you could give - cheers. In fact is there somewhere online that explain game development to a beginner like a game dev for dumasses?

Replies

• blackhawk
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    A game engine is a software system designed for the creation and development of video games. There are many game engines that are designed to work on video game consoles and personal computers. The core functionality typically provided by a game engine includes a rendering engine (“renderer”) for 2D or 3D graphics, a physics engine or collision detection (and collision response), sound, scripting, animation, artificial intelligence, networking, streaming, memory management, threading, localization support, and a scene graph. The process of game development is frequently economized by in large part reusing/adapting the same game engine to create different games.[1]

The game editor is a graphical UI for interfacing with the engine, constructing levels and setting up content.

a pipeline is a the path your assets take from start to finish. Generally its the specific programs and methods you use to create something.

say:
    concept->zbrush->max->unreal

You need to learn to use google, also no need to bump your own posts, if people are not answering you need to ask yourself why that may be.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, when you post at 4am, you might not get any replies for a few hours. =P
  • billredd